Audio Aero La Source - Pre, Transport, DAC

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I will try in the coming weeks the HRS couplers/dampers and will provide a feedback. I tried the Solid Tech Feet of Silence which I used with the CEC TL1X but they did not bring any improvement. Currently the CD player sits on the top shelf of an Infinite Elemente Pagode Signature rack (the ground floor is a thick concrete slab).

With regard to the purchase price, bear in mind that I was replacing a combo which cost about the same price 13 years ago (inflation taken into account). I also did not mind "downsizing" from 3 components (drive, upsampler and DAC not forgetting all the associated cables) to something less complex hence the reason why I mainly tested integrated players with the exception of the dCS gear.

Living in Europe close to France and UK also allows to have a fairly good distribution of European products (dCS and Audio Aéro) whilst some US products may be sometimes more difficult to source (i.e. Playback Design). All tested products were in the same price range (25 to 31 KEUR).

Did you consider the 2 box EMM labs solution (the new DAC2X and the TSDX transport). Apparently quite a bit better than the integrated XDS1 player, and well within your pricerange.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Did you consider the 2 box EMM labs solution (the new DAC2X and the TSDX transport). Apparently quite a bit better than the integrated XDS1 player, and well within your pricerange.

Unfortunately neither the EMM labs distributor nor the dealer had this combo available.

I was already very lucky to have several components on loan as most of the dealers don't stock or demo them on a permanent basis.

With the exception of the Audio Aéro that was directly available for an audition, the two dealers that I contacted had to make arrangements with the respective distributors for getting their demo gear.

The Paganini and Vivaldi are belonging to a distributor who covers several European countries. I was able to audition the Vivaldi DAC in my setup for 4 days but was urged to give it back on a specific date as the distributor had to loan it to another dealer.

The TAD was available for 3 days between several HiFi shows in Europe as the distributor who also covers several European countries has only one player and none of the TAD dealers had one in stock or in their show rooms.

The third dealer/distributor that I contacted for arranging an audition of the Métronome Technologie combo never got back to me though I paid him two visits and left several messages on his voice mail to enquire about the progress. It seemed that he was struggling for getting the new Calypso transport. After several weeks of wait and still no feedback, I decided that he had lost my business.

Retrospectively, I feel very fortunate that I was able to audition several high end products in my setup.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Unfortunately neither the EMM labs distributor nor the dealer had this combo available.

I was already very lucky to have several components on loan as most of the dealers don't stock or demo them on a permanent basis.

With the exception of the Audio Aéro that was directly available for an audition, twe two dealers that I contacted had to make arrangements with the respective distributors for getting their demo gear.

The Paganini and Vivaldi are belonging to a distributor who covers several European countries. I was able to audition the Vivaldi DAC in my setup for 4 days but was urged to give it back on a specific date as the distributor had to loan it to another dealer.

The TAD was available for 3 days between several HiFi shows in Europe as the distributor who also covers several European countries has only one player and none of TAD dealers had one in stock or in their show rooms.

The third dealer/distributor that I contacted for arranging an audition of the Métronome Technologie combo never got back to me though I paid him two visits and left several messages on his voice mail to enquire about the progress. It seemed that he was struggling for getting the new Calypso transport. After several weeks of wait and still no feedback, I decided that he had lost my business.

Retrospectively, I feel very fortunate that I was able to audition several high end products in my setup.

I see. It appears you did very well with the lineup of gear you managed to get your hands on.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
As suggested by Lloyd, I have performed some tests of decoupling devices over the last weeks. I have used the following devices: Solid Tech Feet of Silence and HRS Couplers/Nimbus.

The auditions were performed with the following CD’s:

• Haydn, Piano Sonatas – Alfred Brendel
• Domenico Gabrielle, La Nascito del Violencello – Bruno Cocset
• Buxtehude, Membra Jesu Nostri – René Jacobs

The Audio Aéro La Source is equipped with Belgian made Aktyna feet.

I previously tested the Solid Tech but I must admit that I did not really pay attention to the associated improvements. A more careful audition clearly revealed that it is worth decoupling the Audio Aéro La Source. The improvements are actually quite impressive and are even of a greater magnitude than introducing a high end power cable in the equation (more about this later). The soundstage has improved with more precision, the tonal balance is better and the dynamics have improved. The changes were quite dramatic on Alfred Brendel’s piano.

There are some subtle differences between the Solid Tech and the HRS decouplers. The latter have a darker side whilst the Solid Tech are a little bit brighter. It is basically a matter of personal taste. I ended up keeping the Solid Tech Feet of Silence.

I also tested several power cables. I have a dedicated line (nothing fancy) and I am using a Gigawatt power strip for plugging the preamp and the sources whilst the mono power amps are directly connected to dedicated wall sockets.

The following cables were tested:
• A good but not expensive cable from the Dutch manufacturer AH! (cheap but efficient)
• Audio Argento Flow (which I have been using for powering my amp/preamp combo)
• Stealth Dream V10 Power (Digital)

There is an improvement but not of the same magnitude as the one generated by the decoupling devices. The Stealth is a clear winner with the best overall tonal balance whereas the Argento was bringing somewhat too much brilliance for my taste. The AH! power cable was not of the same league and was outperformed.

In conclusion, decoupling the Aurio Aéro La Source is very effective and is a reasonably cheap solution for bringing tangible improvements. Highly recommended…

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As suggested by Lloyd, I have performed some tests of decoupling devices over the last weeks. I have used the following devices: Solid Tech Feet of Silence and HRS Couplers/Nimbus.

The auditions were performed with the following CD’s:

• Haydn, Piano Sonatas – Alfred Brendel
• Domenico Gabrielle, La Nascito del Violencello – Bruno Cocset
• Buxtehude, Membra Jesu Nostri – René Jacobs

The Audio Aéro La Source is equipped with Belgian made Aktyna feet.

I previously tested the Solid Tech but I must admit that I did not really pay attention to the associated improvements. A more careful audition clearly revealed that it is worth decoupling the Audio Aéro La Source. The improvements are actually quite impressive and are even of a greater magnitude than introducing a high end power cable in the equation (more about this later). The soundstage has improved with more precision, the tonal balance is better and the dynamics have improved. The changes were quite dramatic on Alfred Brendel’s piano.

There are some subtle differences between the Solid Tech and the HRS decouplers. The latter have a darker side whilst the Solid Tech is are little bit brighter. It is basically a matter of personal taste. I ended up keeping the Solid Tech Feet of Silence.

I also tested several power cables. I have a dedicated line (nothing fancy) and I am using a Gigawatt power strip for plugging the preamp and the sources whilst the mono power amps are directly connected to dedicated wall sockets.

The following cables were tested:
• A good but not expensive cable from the Dutch manufacturer AH! (cheap but efficient)
• Audio Argento Flow (which I have been using for powering my amp/preamp combo)
• Stealth Dream V10 Power (Digital)

There is an improvement but not of the same magnitude as the one generated by the decoupling devices. The Stealth is a clear winner with the best overall tonal balance whereas the Argento was bringing somewhat too much brilliance for my taste. The AH! power cable was not of the same league and was outperformed.

In conclusion, decoupling the Aurio Aéro La Source is very effective and is a reasonably cheap solution for bringing tangible improvements. Highly recommended…

great read! Great to hear other people's more detailed experiences with equipment i have heard myself as well! thanks for that.

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
great read! Great to hear other people's more detailed experiences with equipment i have heard myself as well! thanks for that.

Hi, try to arrange listening to MSB Diamond DAC with or without UMT. If you don't get UMT, get a good Philips based transport. Naim for example - CD with digital out or UnitiServe. You will be amazed how much music you will find in your CDs.

Vess

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
History repeating itself?
I ordered La Fontaine Jan 2012 and received the unit 13 weeks later. It had a problem straight away with the remote turning the unit off randomly. 6 months later a new power supply was fitted that did solve the problem however there is still a fault in that it will not power on from standby via the remote pls it will not play stereo SACD tracks but only the left/right channel of the multitrack.
So almost a year has passed and I have a substandard player. Needless to say email communication with AA is non-existent however my retailer has tried to help but I'm sure he faces the same problems in communication with AA.
Having had both Capitole and Prestige I should have learned my lesson but I didn't and now suffer.
Let prospective buyers be aware. There are many other companies deserving of your hard earned cash. Choose wisely.
Apologies for my first post gripe, I just do not want others to suffer.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Unfortunately, you are not the first person who had problems with AA gear. I keep hearing this all the time :( Non-existent is a correct word to describe a communication with AA.

CATfriend

Jan 31, 2013
Deutschland
Hallo,
sorry, i do not speak english. Sorry for the write error. Google helps me to translate!
I am very astonished their bad experience to read. The experience with Audio Aero can I do not confirm! I hear one Audio Aero La Source for 2 years and 5 months but only 450 hours. Always to my satisfaction, never problems with the La Source. I had two questions via e-mail to Audio Aero. Every time i received an answer. I hope, it write more satisfied Audio Aero owner. I would like mean La Sourche sell. I use only Aurender S10 an Ripnas V2. The La Source serves only as DAC. The preamp function and tue VRDS-NEO VMK 5 drive i use not more. I buy a DAC with integrated volume control.
Your experience is obviously bad for the Audio Aero imitsch. I hope, they have their bad experience also Audio Aero communicated. There is always a possibility. I wish them a good and happy end with the Audio Aero.
best regards
CATfriend

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
I had before one AA capitole mk2, and now AA prestige, and had the same problem with comunication with AA factory, it is almost impossible, recently I had a problem with power supply and after months of poor comunication, I could buy one new power supply, after putting in place, another problem appeared the same of Blue58, the SACD plays only one chanell, I am using esoteric x01-d2 now , last year I went to Munichen Hiend show and for me the best setup was: Boenicke W20 speaker with colo-tube , and I saw that they used CHprecison DAC, a swiss DAC and very expensive , this is the DAC I would like to listen versus some DACs tested here, is very difficult to discern the importance of the DAC and the setup.
I would like to ask to Lloyde if he knows about a new zanden DAC, two years ago one guy from audio exotics site spoke the Yamada san was building a new DAC that would supported DCS, in fact I sent an email to Zaden and received a very polite answer, the new DAC would support DCS, but until now no news about.

Georgemg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had before one AA capitole mk2, and now AA prestige, and had the same problem with comunication with AA factory, it is almost impossible, recently I had a problem with power supply and after months of poor comunication, I could buy one new power supply, after putting in place, another problem appeared the same of Blue58, the SACD plays only one chanell, I am using esoteric x01-d2 now , last year I went to Munichen Hiend show and for me the best setup was: Boenicke W20 speaker with colo-tube , and I saw that they used CHprecison DAC, a swiss DAC and very expensive , this is the DAC I would like to listen versus some DACs tested here, is very difficult to discern the importance of the DAC and the setup.
I would like to ask to Lloyde if he knows about a new zanden DAC, two years ago one guy from audio exotics site spoke the Yamada san was building a new DAC that would supported DCS, in fact I sent an email to Zaden and received a very polite answer, the new DAC would support DCS, but until now no news about.

Georgemg

Hi George...as I understand from Zanden, they have been busy releasing the 3100 preamp, 1300 phono amp, 600 integrated and the 8100 amp the last year or two. I believe they are in the works on digital upgrades and hopefully will be able to turn their attention next to this. Further upgrades to 2000P/5000S 4-box are possible i understand, and the question is outstanding on hi-res...though with time, i suspect it is more likely for Zanden to produce something.

I admit to being partial to Zanden digital. I also look at other digital i prefer or respect most...and realize they share elements with Zanden (and where Zanden may have done it first, or at least did it first in such an all out assault manner): separate transport & dac (back in '04/'05 when few were doing this anymore), i2s (Stahl-Tek Vekian, PS Audio, MSB), separate power supply with 6 individual transformers for each function, shielded (Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A, Audio Note 5th Element CD/DAC), Non-OS (Concert Fidelity, Audio Note, Ypsilon, Total DAC, Aletheia, etc).

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
boenicke

Georgemg

Hi Georgemg,

I know Sven Boenicke very well, and he does outstanding designs! The W20 is very good, a tad expensive, if you permit me saying so (not in relation to listening - which is perfect, but on absolute terms)

He has done a desing for Orpheus Lab, which they demonstrated with their gear.
I have tried his speakers (pre W-series) with the Berning ZH270, and they are a dream!!

Do you still own Audiopax? I seem to remember you did? I still run my M5 pre in a system , with the newest power unit it has become very very good, and it adds colours to the speed of the Berning.

Egidius

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
Hello Egidius

I have audiopax maggiore now, is a SET with 100 watts classe A1, as you can see in this film a made , but the tidal piano diacera are singing with audiopax 88 mk3 they are SET with 30 watts , they are small and are in front of maggiore, pre audiopax model 5 SE.
I listen to Berning quadrature at RMAF hiend sho 2010, Bob from merlin speaker used it a lot of time with his speakers.
I listen to boenicke speaker with Orpheus eltronics in 2011 in Munichen( very expensive), but the Boenicke W20 with colo tube + Chprecison was very impressing, like silbatone+ western eletric speaker.

Excuse out of topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRj_t-Juqo

Georgemg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is Audio Aero still around?

as far as i know, yes, but its been a year since i heard one in my system. Audio Federation in Boulder, Colorado still has Audio Aero La Source and La Fontaine on their website.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing