Audiophile Unfriendly New Neighbor Moved In Last Month, Calls the Cops on Me

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
This is the weirdest, most bizarre thread I have ever read on this website. :eek:

Best option for the OP, move as far away from humanity ASAP. I'd recommend a minimum of 640 acres. If you put your house in the middle of the square mile, you'll have a half mile buffer between you and your nearest property line. ;)

PS: With all due respect, someone who has to listen to music at 150db (an obscene, destructive level by any standard) is not an audiophile. More like a headbanger with a serious hearing problem.

Ever thought about using headphones?

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The OP has to be being tongue in cheek .. people like that don't exist ..do they?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Heck I know people who install mighty wurlitzers in the houses with 32 inch pipes. They have to install very thick tempered glass so they don't blow the windows out. Different strokes for different folks....must be like flying a f-16 or firing a 700 Nitro express:p...Mark

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The OP has to be being tongue in cheek .. people like that don't exist ..do they?

LOL... he's sane and reasonable compared to a lot of folks that live in rural mountain areas! We just had about 60 mil of us vote for an obvious con-man to be our president, that should be some indication of the sanity of Americans in general.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
LOL... he's sane and reasonable compared to a lot of folks that live in rural mountain areas! We just had about 60 mil of us vote for an obvious con-man to be our president, that should be some indication of the sanity of Americans in general.

Funny we thought the same about Hillary....lmao

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What I want to know Mark is if you managed to flatten the Hillary signs with your system, if not then your next move should be upping the ante with another 10k-20k watts and weaponizing that bass! Here's a how to beginners guide :),

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-11/acoustic-weapons-book-excerpt

Failing that here are some more traditional ways of dealing with your neighbors, a MOAB or a SATAN would do the trick :D!

But in all seriousness low frequencies can affect people physically and cause discomfort, I suggest you visit your neighbors and see what's going on; even if they're liberals... Just kidding ;)!

david

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

DaveC, LOL. Do you not see the absurdity of what you just posted? You describe the OP as sane and reasonable and then you go on to imply that the 60 million who voted for Trump are neither. Did you miss the part about the OP being a Trump supporter? Or perhaps you are conflicted by the notion that there are sane and reasonable people who supported Trump.

I agree with the advice given by some members that the two parties should try to find a middle ground and resolve their differences; just like the two batches of 60 million voters should be trying to do.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It is interesting that there is 17k worth of equip in a tarpaper shack.

From the OP "My investment in a 17,000 watt sound system is so that I can enjoy BASS." NOT $17K worth of equipment. By chance did you see the OP's test bench from his Signature, each piece of test equipment ( a little exaggerationn) that he has cost more than $17K.

ShopSept2013web.jpg

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember the guy named tzucc from AV forums who installed one of the fan based bass units to go to 1-20 Hz at very loud db. He had the fan ported to the outdoors at first, and his neighbors a couple of acres away actually reported an earthquake. When a bunch of guys got together to listen to it, they ran an experiment and the sub 15 Hz notes induced nausea in some guys and they couldn't take it.

For the first time in 21 years some new neighbors moved in across the street on the opposite corner, and she complained about my stereo system. However, I had the windows open at the time. I have kept them closed and they haven't complained since, but I am aware of when I play the system now. A lady who hears it when she walks by thinks I am an overgrown adolescent listening to Doors, Pink Floyd and Inna Gadda Vida. However, I mostly listen to fusion and jazz.

I picked this home for the room, and because it faced an open arroyo, specifically so I could play the stereo with theoretically minimum neighbor impingement. However, I have given thought to sound insulation over the windows.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I'm not worried about the guy picking a fight. I think that if he truly IS a martial arts instructor, then he lives by the creed of avoiding physical conflict unless cornered with no options.

Secondly, just because he has a Hillary sign in his yard does not make me a Fascist (Trump) supporter. ;) I would have voted for Ron Paul!

It's nowhere near 150dB outside. Between the system and the outside are concrete walls up to 3' thick in some places. I will admit that the system was starved for electricity during the first 50 years that I've lived here with temporary 100A service. In September, I was forced to upgrade it to 200A permanent service, at a cost of $7000 (which I was able to borrow from friends who were concerned about my daughter and rest of family living on generator for weeks on end). I have to pay that loan back, which means I get even further behind on property taxes and given I had a slower year in the amp repair work than last year, I'm not likely to break $10K income this year. But that 200A service made a palpable and measurable improvement in system performance.

When I came here in '66, it was because the previous town slammed me with an unexpected sewer assessment, which I was unable to pay. That foreclosed my prior house. Lucky, I had an inheritance and I used that $1850 to buy this land. The original plan for this house was more ambitious, but medical bills caused me to scale back drastically after the ground floor was built. For many years, the rest of the house was left unfinished. But by 1992, some newly moved in a-hole that doesn't even live on this road, but his kids trespassed here, got wind of my place after his kids put two rifle rounds into my picture window. I found out what an ugly prick he was. He got really out of hand when he found out his kids were in juvenile court after I had called the cops upon discovering the bullet holes and hearing shots and glass breaking at the unocupied cottage across the road. I did not know who was doing the shooting, and the cops investigated and found these two 10 yr old boys, who I'd never seen before. This new neighbor across the road, from the conversations I've overheard, has that same tone of voice and attitude as this old neighbor who, fortunately got mysteriously ill and died in his forties some ten years ago. That family moved out of the area a year later.

These new people make every effort to avoid us, probably because of the appearance of our unlandscaped property and non-standard house. Their property is so prim and proper, not a leaf out of place, if you can imagine. They constantly have landscaping people over there fawning over ever blade of grass. What about the constant parade of garbage trucks, gas trucks and lawn care noise that I never had to deal with? And this goes on a couple times a week, not once or twice a month.

I'm not going to debate over the Clintons. Ten people unfriended me on Facebook right on election night, as they couldn't bear the overthrow of progressive communism. One only need look at how many people died as a result of each person. I don't think Trump has had anyone killed. Yet.

I did note that one time back in September, while the inlaws who live with us, were up that the bus stop on a connecting road, I played music for about ten minutes, having the house to myself. About 1/3 mile away, my daughter got off the bus and came home and said she could hear the bass on the school bus. It probably was 150dB bass levels inside the room. My chairs, on the concrete floor, moved. The physical sensation, for me, was sheer heaven. That body slam is what I live for.

Headphones? Can't feel the bass!

Believe me, I would love to move to rural Hokkaido, and in fact I found a perfect house there that's asking less than my house is assessed at for taxes, and it's still available. But the move cost and the near impossibility of selling my non conforming house is standing in the way, not to mention getting that illusive visa..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I remember the guy named tzucc from AV forums who installed one of the fan based bass units to go to 1-20 Hz at very loud db. He had the fan ported to the outdoors at first, and his neighbors a couple of acres away actually reported an earthquake. When a bunch of guys got together to listen to it, they ran an experiment and the sub 15 Hz notes induced nausea in some guys and they couldn't take it.

For the first time in 21 years some new neighbors moved in across the street on the opposite corner, and she complained about my stereo system. However, I had the windows open at the time. I have kept them closed and they haven't complained since, but I am aware of when I play the system now. A lady who hears it when she walks by thinks I am an overgrown adolescent listening to Doors, Pink Floyd and Inna Gadda Vida. However, I mostly listen to fusion and jazz.

I picked this home for the room, and because it faced an open arroyo, specifically so I could play the stereo with theoretically minimum neighbor impingement. However, I have given thought to sound insulation over the windows.

Carl

I was at tzuccs house the day we had our audio meet at his house. He was running a TRW as an IB. In fact Thigpen flew in on his private plane to be there for the event. I was in the rear of the room and it was like being in an earthquake. I had motion sickness for hours after that subsonic demo.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
DaveC, LOL. Do you not see the absurdity of what you just posted? You describe the OP as sane and reasonable and then you go on to imply that the 60 million who voted for Trump are neither. Did you miss the part about the OP being a Trump supporter? Or perhaps you are conflicted by the notion that there are sane and reasonable people who supported Trump.

I agree with the advice given by some members that the two parties should try to find a middle ground and resolve their differences; just like the two batches of 60 million voters should be trying to do.

I guess you didn't read my previous post. It was a joke.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I personally think people that can't politely request something of their neighbour, over minor subjects, before calling the cops are total scum.

I tend to agree in principal but without knowing either the poster or the complaining neighbour, it isn't easy to judge if polite requests were going to get anywhere in any case. And to be honest, I very much doubt that polite asking would have gotten anywhere, based on all the posts the OP has made in this thread.

Then again, I can tell you how far being polite got me when I was in a similar situation. Two doors down from me lives a DJ caveman. Loves his sound system, loves his bass. Though I am tolerant, I was not particularly keen on being woken repeatedly, day after day, week after week with my bedroom windows and walls literally shaking in time with the bass. Bear in mind his listening room was located 60 metres away (with two back gardens and fences in between), his listening room is sealed and my bedroom is acoustically isolated with 50 dB suppression of outside noise (though "A" weighted, not "C" weighted - it is exceptionally difficult to achieve that much suppression and low frequencies).

I measured his sound system at 75 dB C weighted - but that is inside my sealed bedroom from 60 metres away. If you add the 50 dB isolation I have, allow another 20 for his room being sealed, plus the distance between us, well it would have been getting up around the 140 dB A plus mark inside his room. Did I call the police? No, I went around quietly and politely asking if he would mind turning it down. He did turn it down. For an hour. Then it was back up to the same levels again. So I went around again. Still polite but at the same time advising him that he really should not be playing his system so loudly. This time he abused me and asked me to call the police.

So really, people love recommending that neighbours try to negotiate on friendly terms but the fact of the matter is that if someone is doing something like what I have described then by definition they are a selfish, cares for their own satisfaction, have little ability to empathise with others and are generally not open to negotiation or reason.

I had another incident with another neighbour where their dog was left alone all day and would constantly stand over the balcony, barking incessantly into my yard. This went on for months, slowly driving me mad. I couldn't even venture into my yard because the dog would just go crazy between 9.00 am and 5.00 PM when no one was home. I tried to politely negotiate with those neighbours for three months, never taking any formal action and hoping to resolve it reasonably. This completely failed to work. After lack of sleep for months and being driven to relocate on account of this dog, I finally complained to the local council. The neighbours did not take kindly to this and commenced a campaign of verbal abuse and throwing rubbish and other stuff into my yard on an ongoing basis(they are now gone - good riddance).

So pardon me that I am a bit jaded reading about people recommending the polite negotiation routes. They have never worked for me. These days I simply figure that if someone does this stuff in the first place, I'm not wasting my time, patience or sanity any more. It is straight to law enforcement. Perhaps these neighbours in this thread have had enough of it as well due to past experiences.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
the Elk do get a bit testy (and yesterday morning blocked the road outside my gate) sometimes outside the barn when I'm hitting those deep bass notes........

View attachment 29958

You live in paradise Mike; simply gorgeous surroundings with the trees, mountains, wildlife. Beats the city with the skyscrapers and the traffic jams and loud police car and emergency vehicle's sirens and all the noises, pollution and congestion. ...Plus all the maniacs... :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

He does exist.

Kal, you have been @ Mark's place in a not so distant past; what do you think can help Mark's latest issue with the earth's vibrations sensed by his newest neighbor? :b
...Plus the air transporting the remnants of distant music noises. What would you recommend that would suit both parties in this particular situation here?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing