Audiophile Unfriendly New Neighbor Moved In Last Month, Calls the Cops on Me

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
@Mark

That someone enjoys your bass 1/2 mile down the road is proof you're listening very high and that your enjoyment may be encroaching other people sense of quietness... a compromise should be worked out not pointing an accusatory and (IMHO wrong) finger at people who have their money and have all the rights to enjoy it too. I do understand your frustration but do not sympathize with it.

Similar thoughts here. I think it's very odd to have the following assumptions:

1. People outside your house or even yard/compound should 'like' your boomy bass from afar

2. People outside your house or even yard/compound should hear your boomy bass from afar

Furthermore, within your house, you can feel free to experiment with all sorts of power and sound provided you're not being a nuisance for surrounding people, but if it's 'body slam' you're looking for, perhaps kinetic transducers can work better.

Also, that kind of overbearing bass is usually associated with unbalanced systems. Bass has a lot of energy and it encroaches easily on other regions of music. If the bass is more controlled and balanced, you may begin to hear actually bass performances better as well as other parts of the music better.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Actually, it tickles a lot when I sit in the chair because it's vibrating so much when the music contains bass in the 45-70Hz range.

But that chair vibration in turn is also emitting sound, which interacts with the frequency response of your system, muddying up its quality.

There are potentially several other surfaces having a similar effect in your room.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Furthermore, within your house, you can feel free to experiment with all sorts of power and sound provided you're not being a nuisance for surrounding people, but if it's 'body slam' you're looking for, perhaps kinetic transducers can work better.

Or you can put him in the cage with an official UFC fighter. Enough body slam to last a lifetime...and then some.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
We still have no idea how loud it actually is outside his place. I've been able to hear plenty of rock concerts in the distance, but it's so faint that one couldn't possibly care. So I'm wondering were the cops called because they could hear it, or because it was loud?

I can hear my current neighbour's dog walk up some wood steps late at night, when it's quiet and my window is open, but it's not a problem I don't sleep through easily.

Being able to hear it on the school bus doesn't mean they could hear more than a faint rumble for all we know. While I'm inclined to think it's at an obnoxious level at the neighbors, truthfully we don't actually know. I don't see why BassPig can't tell us what volume levels are like outside.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
He's got an SPL meter to measure what the level is outside so it should take under 5 minutes to figure it out. That's really what matters anyway as far as a noise ordinance. Inside they could care less 100 feet past your property line is another issue entirely. Probably also depends on how the area is zoned as in commercial areas they have to allow for machinery noises vs. residential.

Rob:)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So you are assuming a lot of things here, and maybe you are right, maybe not.
You have assumed what kind of a person he is without talking to him.
You have assumed that he has stereotyped you, without talking to him.
Do you see the commonality here?
Prove him wrong on his judgment, if in fact he has made one and go talk to him, hell maybe your wrong and there are other concerns you are unaware of.
invite him over to experience your system, maybe he becomes addicted and your best advocate and you can help him design a system with his money.
Butt munches run rampant across all financial brackets as well as down to earth good people, you just have to take the time to distinguish with personal contact.

Seriously now, we are 10 pages in on this matter.
Grab a bottle of bourbon/beer/wine and a couple glasses maybe a couple nice cigars and walk across the street, it really could be that simple.

If you need Bourbon and Cigar recommendations I have them.

I feel your pain believe me, I understand that you have been out in the sticks for 40+ years for a reason and now you feel imposed on with the city moving in.

We are looking to buy and we are looking for a chunk of property big enough that has a home dead square in the middle for that very reason.

Unfortunately for you that home is there and its not going anywhere, in fact many more are probably going to pop up soon.

Is it worth another Hatfield and Mc Coy situation?

Bourbon and Cigars, is a better solution,

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well,I know one thing if it's the kind of bass that I hear when I drive up to the stop sign and a long side is somebody wearing the baseball cap crooked and you drag race just to get away from the idiot....count me out. Just depends on the kind of music played, I myself enjoy pipe organ,classical,and Jazz which together gives me all the big bass I would ever need.

I can understand Mark's point of view even though he expresses it harshly. The neighbor should remember "buyer beware" and maybe have a talk with his real estate agent,as I'm sure Mark is infamous in his town or even county. To call the cops during normal hours is not the best way to reach out. The neighbor fired the first shot and I really don't give a damn if he doesn't like it....he is the one that needs to change his approach if he want's this resolved. The neighbor needs to meet with Mark and he and Mark need to negotiate a way that both can learn to live together. Mark was there long before he was.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
And to make matters worse, they had a Hillary sign in their yard last month, so I know exactly the kind of miserable folks they are.

i m with you man , but the guy 1/4 mile down the road hearing your bass ??:D:confused:

I believe a Hillary sign is grounds for more volume. :rolleyes:

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Well,I know one thing if it's the kind of bass that I hear when I drive up to the stop sign and a long side is somebody wearing the baseball cap crooked and you drag race just to get away from the idiot....count me out. Just depends on the kind of music played, I myself enjoy pipe organ,classical,and Jazz which together gives me all the big bass I would ever need.

I can understand Mark's point of view even though he expresses it harshly. The neighbor should remember "buyer beware" and maybe have a talk with his real estate agent,as I'm sure Mark is infamous in his town or even county. To call the cops during normal hours is not the best way to reach out. The neighbor fired the first shot and I really don't give a damn if he doesn't like it....he is the one that needs to change his approach if he want's this resolved. The neighbor needs to meet with Mark and he and Mark need to negotiate a way that both can learn to live together. Mark was there long before he was.

Thank you, RogerD. This is the most accurate assessment of the situation. As you said, I was here first. I was here before practically anybody else. There were a few vacation cabins here that burned to the ground in the summer drought driven forest fire of '66, and there's a radio tower down the road that has been there since '59.

A development was built 1/3 mile east of me in the 70s, but no problems from those people, other than the fact that one of them owns lots of heavy machinery and likes to run them all day long, belching diesel fumes. A big kid, playing with adult sized Tonka toys.

In 1981, the A frame down the road was bought by my good neighbor Walt. We're friends all these years. In the 90s, they built 2 more homes down past Walt's house, almost .4 mile away. Never a complaint from them.

On the west side of me, the owner had a rock band for many years. They were a famous national act. I could hear them practicing on weekends. Loved it. That was one of the things that influenced me toward becoming a Bass Pig. The other was the CEO of the company I was working for, inviting me to his home to experience the JBL Paragon and Cerwin-Vega speakers. That pretty much turned me into what I am today.

It would have been better if the neighbor approached me as nicely as the police man did. But he's "that" type of person. Typical of a lot of people here in the Northeast. Had we been in the south, the neighbors would communicate. But northerners are suspicious of everyone.

While I was in the waiting room at the doctor's today, I had this silly idea of sending them a brochure for my web site featuring the sound system, with an invitation. But I doubt that would result in a response, much less a favorable one. The other stuck up neighbor (the one that's now dead) was so icky about even coming onto my property to inspect the damage that his boys did with their rifles. He would drive by in his car and look from the road. He didn't want to come on the property, as if I were somehow so dirty that it would soil his feet to walk over here and apologize for his kids misbehavior. We had some real doozies as neighbors. This new guy seems like an incarnation of the other. I may have to put a curse on him, too.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Reminds me of one of my favorite phrases.

The only constant in life is change.

Good luck resolving your neighborhood "fight".

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hey Mark

Why don't you measure the response with your SPL meter. Do you know the details of your noise ordnance? If you do and you know how the measurement is weighted, A vs C, it could work to your favor if things do get worse. Wouldn't hurt to know.

Attachments

• acont.gif
    acont.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 373

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Now there is an idea, install a giant noise cancelation system outside your home, kind of like a giant Blows headphone. :D:p

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Noise ordinances I have lived under prohibit loud noise levels between 11PM and 7AM, NOT during the daytime hours.

I'm very curious how he gets 150 dB.

Assuming speakers that are 100 dB/watt at 1 meter efficient:

1 watt = 100 dB
10 watts = 110 dB
100 watts = 120 dB
1000 watts = 130 dB
10,000 watts = 140 dB
100,000 watts = 150 dB

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE? There seems to be a great disparity in power required and dB acoustic output.

The system has [only] 16,500 watts.

Are his speakers even 100 dB/watt at 1 meter efficient?

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Gary

He is talking bass and with mutual coupling and ported cabinets you can add 6db per pair so with 2 pairs you can get a significant efficiency boost. That said any reasonable ported system is going to require some serious roll off below the port tuning frequency to be used at SR levels.

Here is some data from a JBL Cinema Sub System as an example

Single Module
Two Modules
Four Modules
Eight Modules

Half-Space Reference Efficiency
6:4%
8%
12%
16%
Max. Continuous Acoustical
Power Output:
32 W
128 W
384 W
1024 W
Maximum Continuous SPL @ 1 meter
126 dB
132 dB
137 dB
141 dB
Maximum Peak SPL @ 1 meter
132 dB
138 dB
143 dB
147 dB

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Actually it'd be 131,072 watts... at 100dB efficiency. If they were 103dB it's 65,536w, 106dB it's 32768w, 109dB its 16384w. ( 150dB -100dB = 50dB/3 = 16~ (17) , 2^17 = 131,072w )

Basically total sensitivity needs to be at least 109dB, but closer to 112dB would be more realistic. That's perfectly possible if you've got bass drivers that are 100dB themselves. The EVX-180B's are 98dB, there's 6 of them. The ZR18's are 92.8dB or something like that, there's four of them. Possible? Eh I don't know the crossover points so I'm going to decline what the possibility is considering room gain or whatever else.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
EVX-180B's are 98dB, there's 6 of them.

But where? Not at 20Hz that's for sure. Ported is the only way to reach those levels and in multiple pairs. I don't care what they are you can't put any real power into them below the box tuning or you are asking for some torn spiders and surrounds.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Mark, perhaps I should come over for a visit and also say hi to the lovely neighbours; just wondering whether 6ft 3" 114Kg of lean muscle mass, plus ex-MMA contender would do? Or would I need to bulk up? Especially after my Ethos, they're very light (only weigh around 20Kg) whereas the Quads used to be around 43Kg, it was fun doing curls with those...

When you have neighbours like that- not only music but life would suffer in general. Thank goodness we've got super ones! I always listen to my music way past midnight- forget the neighbours, I need to allow my wifey and daughter to sleep peacefully, and to my surprise when I don't play Norah Jones at 2:00am, my wife asks why? It sort of makes her sleep better!

Back in home town when I had the massive Infinities, I used to blast out the entire island of Colombo! Everyone loved it! How can anyone not like it? Especially jazz! C'mon mate...
I think not only do you have DA neighbours but also those who don't really enjoy life! Try to check what makes them smile, if at all, it's probably other materialist things such as fancy cars, or some expensive fine China... I bet!

I feel for you mate, sorry to hear about this. What's the next best solution?
Anything work more positively lately?

Cheers, RJ

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
But where? Not at 20Hz that's for sure. Ported is the only way to reach those levels and in multiple pairs. I don't care what they are you can't put any real power into them below the box tuning or you are asking for some torn spiders and surrounds.

He stated in his first post that he was playing jazz at the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing