Audiophile Unfriendly New Neighbor Moved In Last Month, Calls the Cops on Me

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
He stated in his first post that he was playing jazz at the time.

Ok not sure what you are saying?? There is plenty of bass content in well recorded jazz and jazz is a broad term.

Rob:)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I think not only do you have DA neighbours but also those who don't really enjoy life! Try to check what makes them smile, if at all, it's probably other materialist things such as fancy cars, or some expensive fine China... I bet!

With all due respect to Big Dog and basspig, how can either of you pass judgment on people that you have never met, let alone spoken to.

And if both of you were to "switch places" with the folks you are disparaging, how do you know that you would feel any different on the other side of the coin? :confused:

I find this "assumed guilty / you are not like me so you are a POS" diatribe to be extremely presumptuous and pure speculation without any merit at all.

To me, it's the verbal equivalent of stabbing someone in the back just for the pleasure it gives you. Very myopic, self serving, unhealthy and pretentious in my view.

The world is becoming a smaller place everyday and what we all should strive for is respect and understanding, not hate and loathing. :eek:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
A fascinating and unfortunately unintentionally humorous thread.
I am sympathetic to both sides of the issue. I have chosen to live remotely for the very reasons Mark cites; namely his desire to play loud music without encumbrances. But I also can appreciate the merits of being a responsible neighbor. The first issue i would ask is what legal precedents govern the situation? Are there no noise ordinances at all in Mark's town? If there were noise ordinances, what would be the stated restrictions, just so one can get an idea of how egregious is the sonic offense? I looked up some noise ordinances for my local towns and unfortunately, most of them do not specify dB levels, but rather use non-specific phrases like " loud, disturbing and unnecessary noise". However, the suburban borough of Chatham, NJ about 20 minutes from where I live, has a noise ordinance that does define decibel levels at the residential property line. Moreover it does this for both non-frequency specific noise as well as frequency specific noise.

http://ecode360.com/6794931

Regarding frequency specific noise, (I believe) A-weighted noise limits for 31.5 Hz are 96 dB.

View attachment 29964

I must admit, if I heard 96dB of 31.5Hz bass at my property line, I wouldn't be a happy camper either. If this is the case, perhaps a conversation with one's neighbor really is the best way to proceed.
Marty

I lived in Chatham, NJ, right next to the train station for a few months. Even the trains are quiet.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Everyone loved it! How can anyone not like it? Especially jazz! C'mon mate...

That is fundamentally flawed thinking. The difference between what constitutes music versus noise pollution is whether someone garners any enjoyment out of being exposed to it. There is a lot of music around these days that is as appealing to me as chalk on a blackboard or a thousand toddlers simultaneously vomiting. I can assure you that I would consider your tastes in music (specifically intertwined with the way you listen) to be nothing more than noise pollution yet I have no qualms whatsoever should you think exactly the same of my music. But the difference between you and me is that I understand this is every person's right and in consequence I only expose people to my music if they pro-actively express a desire to be exposed to it.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Back in home town when I had the massive Infinities, I used to blast out the entire island of Colombo! Everyone loved it! How can anyone not like it? Especially jazz! C'mon mate...
C'mon mate. I do not want to hear anyone else's music although I do have a tolerance for reasonable use. Similarly, although I do like to play my music loud, I do so only at reasonable hours. Do you want to hear my marathon Shostakovich weekends?

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Ok not sure what you are saying?? There is plenty of bass content in well recorded jazz and jazz is a broad term.

You asked where " not at 20hz" I was just responding that he stated he was playing jazz music, not 20hz test tones as you implied in your response. Obviously regular jazz music is not going to contain anything below normal port tuning.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Oh a simple misunderstanding:) I wasn't talking about test tones or asking if it was 98dB at 20Hz. I was saying that the EV driver would not be 98db at 20hz that's averaged 100-800Hz. Once you put it in a box the box tuning is going to determine how much power you can apply over a certain frequency range. Below the box tuning the driver will unload which is why is SR applications they are typically high pass filtered to protect the driver. This is all related to the stated 150dB output the OP was saying his system can play at and my previous post about mutual coupling and the efficiency gain there when you start doubling driver counts.

I agree below port tuning it's a done deal with the steep roll off and limited power handling

Also Bella Fleck is considered contemporary Jazz and with Victor Wooten on board he plumbs the depths and if your tuning is 40Hz you are missing the boat on his material. You need a real sub-woofer to get what's there. Flight of the Cosmic Hippo comes to mind as an example of Jazz with significant sub 40Hz content.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, our town has no noise ordinance.

I think I had also mentioned somewhere that the subs are 112dB efficient, as measured at 4' on axis with 2.83 vrms of brown noise (upper band stop less than 80 Hz). When the QSC -30dB indicators start to flicker on peaks, the SPL is 132dB on bass frequencies. My CEL 201 SPL meter's top scale is 140dB, which is useless in here. It just goes to full scale and keeps banging the peg when I'm hitting the -10dB indicators on the QSC amps, as measured 8' from the speaker array. That is in the "flat" position. A-weighted is much lower. Peaks on the snare drum hits were 127dB.

Ports on the subs are tuned to 8Hz. The Bassmaxx drivers that I bought from David Lee are 5HP each, utilize a kevlar/fiberglass layered cone sandwiching a honeycomb reinforcment structure and are capable of nearly 4" peak to peak excursion, 3" of which are linear. Ports on the mid subs are tuned to 18Hz.

Some of the Jazz in Cowboy Beebop has very heavy thumping well into the 20s.

But I was listening to Bacanno: Guns n Roses when the cop arrived. Earlier I was listening to the very well recorded CD of the opening and endings to Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. On the soundtrack CD, there are some very well-recorded rock instrumental numbers, about 2-1/2 minutes each. I listened to those early in the session. The latter were so well recorded, they didn't need any EQ to bring out the kick to rib-cracking levels. I DO use the dbx 4bx to add more excitement to the percussion though.

The Baccano track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F5459jCtuM

The Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIZ2V--peA&t=17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzO2gktqX9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJMDtWpXu8

These youtube examples are a shadow of what the original CDs sound like, but you can get some idea of what I like to crank up over here.
I don't play RAP or any American pop music. And each time, it's a different set of music, usually a CD I just got from CD Japan, or one I bought used off a Japanese seller on ebay.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIZ2V--peA&t=17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzO2gktqX9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJMDtWpXu8

These youtube examples are a shadow of what the original CDs sound like, but you can get some idea of what I like to crank up over here.
I don't play RAP or any American pop music. And each time, it's a different set of music, usually a CD I just got from CD Japan, or one I bought used off a Japanese seller on ebay.

Next time, play the 10-Hour version of "Yuki Yuki Yuki", fairly sure the cops won't bother coming over.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
With all due respect to Big Dog and basspig, how can either of you pass judgment on people that you have never met, let alone spoken to.

And if both of you were to "switch places" with the folks you are disparaging, how do you know that you would feel any different on the other side of the coin? :confused:

I find this "assumed guilty / you are not like me so you are a POS" diatribe to be extremely presumptuous and pure speculation without any merit at all.

To me, it's the verbal equivalent of stabbing someone in the back just for the pleasure it gives you. Very myopic, self serving, unhealthy and pretentious in my view.

The world is becoming a smaller place everyday and what we all should strive for is respect and understanding, not hate and loathing. :eek:

Yes, I do agree mate. I was just kidding about the fact that they are of no good neighbours. But when Mark mentioned that they don't even wave or say hello, it got me thinking of those stuck up cases we used to have back in CMB (colombo). Very stuck up, major attitudes, always wanted their way and nothing else. They would also rock up in very fancy sports cars and haggle over $10 on price difference for interconnects... I really didn't like this sort and if you could not oblige, they pass the word around to cast negative phrases on your dealership. At the end I just sold off the business and left the country!

I truly hope Mark finds a way to sort this out amicably, afterall the world is getting smaller, and we need to respect one another in the best way possible.
Perhaps an invite over tea or coffee with some nice home cooked brownies may help, plus a bit of relaxing music to add to the touch.

Bass being heard over several meters is a fact, it does like to travel if untreated!
Cheers mate and all the best, RJ

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So 150dB is possible, but may not be happening. It's not like over 140dB isn't absolutely absurd anyways.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
150dB is certainly possible; kids get over 170dB+ in their cars, and some home theater aficionados measured 142dB+ from the main seat of a larger HT room.
If some of the low bass frequencies escape, like they do from a passing car, we can feel and hear those low vibes from far away distances. And long distance will distort the sound with gross exaggeration through the air and through the ground.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
150dB is certainly possible

The Military and law enforcement have been buying products from the company below. Forget the company blurb - the police and military are using these as acoustic weapons. Their top of the line model emits 153 dB. So one could argue that an acoustic bomb is going off continuously inside Pig's House. There have been reports of completely innocent people (i.e. wrong place at the wrong time) being deafened by these devices simply because they have been incidentally in the "line of fire" when the devices were deployed to disperse unruly crowds.

https://www.lradx.com/lrad_products/lrad-1000xi/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-Range-Acoustic-Device-used-protesters.html

I think in the end, the damage done to Mr. Pig's hearing and body will be more than enough reward for his abominable behaviour (the noise emitted isn't just going to continue to cause hearing damage).

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Next time, play the 10-Hour version of "Yuki Yuki Yuki", fairly sure the cops won't bother coming over.

Yikes..that'sprettydreadful!

As I said, my meter only goes to 140 on the top scale, and it's pinned with every percussion hit, so who knows what the actual SPL is.. but average levels a much lower, as the recordings are open and wide dynamics.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
In my opinion, the OP is an over the top loony. Just because he was there first is not a reasonable rationale for depriving a new neighbor of his expectation of normal peace and quiet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

When I've read that article couple days ago I was appalled. But that's not the only thing that has a similar affect on our well balanced society.

By the way, people living near wind turbines, I wonder what the scientific studies reveal. I have a brother who told me (he lives near few, the closest one half kilometer away) that in the summer time when it's hot in his house he has to keep the windows closed. The low vibrations/noises are too loud and they cannot sleep. But even with all the windows closed he said that the ground is vibrating and with it his house, his bedroom and his bed. And their dreams are affected as well!

Anyway, Mark has no wind turbines nearby, thanks god.
_______

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3653647/
http://www.epaw.org/documents.php?article=n14
http://oto2.wustl.edu/cochlea/wind.html

Those are the first entries from googling. There are hundreds of them. But I am certain that what we read on the internet we cannot trust, most likely "fake" news from people with an agenda, like electric/hydro companies, government's investments, power gas/oil companies, solar energy companies, tra-la-la that sort of financial ridden/corrupted jazz.
You won't find those guidelines in the books of laws, and human/health protection libraries.

Live and let live? Who, the wind turbine companies;, let them live freely because they are not the ones who live nearby their turbines?
Or people can simply sell their homes @ a big lost and move somewhere else. Or collect the bribes from the top shots and keep living with health problems with twenty years less in life's expectancy. That's a fair deal no?

I have a friend who's a rocket scientist with few PhDs in psychology, biology, ecology, chemistry and architectural engineering. We didn't talk recently, so he has not tell me a thing.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
In my opinion, the OP is an over the top loony. Just because he was there first is not a reasonable rationale for depriving a new neighbor of his expectation of normal peace and quiet.

Other than an interesting historical tidbit, being there first is irrelevant. Bad behavior is bad behavior.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Guys, it's not like I do this 27/7.

I only do it for maybe an hour or two, once or twice a month.

Anyway, with the appearance of my property (think Gasoline Alley), one would think high falutin' rich spoiled people would say no to moving across the road from me. "If you don't like the smell, don't move next to a hog farm."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing