Audioquest Hurricane Power Cord

Well

Jun 9, 2019
Wow.

I got banned from that??? Hurricane is overpriced?? Yeh I still think it overpriced.

And it funny when you said 2k cable sound close to 7k cable..pfft. Have you ever tried any 7k+ cable in your own system?

And Dragon use silver while Hurricane is copper etc etc how can they be in same signature???

And like bazelio said cable got no sound It sound of " Mine two humble System" seriously. How can you complained when you never heard it? And like I said Hurricane make my system sound too fast too much mid too edgy. So?? What if sound bad on my system?? I did not said it would sound bad in your too.

And I said it overprice? Yeh sure you can easily find DIY cable that beat Hurricane at 2k. For Dragon if you not deaf it left Hurricane to dust seriously for what it did to my system it definitely worth the asking prices. Is that answer your Ego questions?

What the problem?? I do not understand I just share my experienced?? You can lick each other Hurricanes. I'm done with this AQ shill community.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Wow.

I got banned from that??? Hurricane is overpriced?? Yeh I still think it overpriced.

And it funny when you said 2k cable sound close to 7k cable..pfft. Have you ever tried any 7k+ cable in your own system?

And Dragon use silver while Hurricane is copper etc etc how can they be in same signature???

It sound of " Mine two humble System" seriously. And like I said Hurricane make my system sound too fast too much mid too edgy. So?? What if sound bad on my system?? I did not said it would sound bad in your too.

And I said it overprice? Yeh sure you can easily find DIY cable that beat Hurricane at 2k. For Dragon if you not deaf it left Hurricane to dust seriously for what it did to my system it definitely worth the asking prices. Is that answer your Ego questions?

What the problem?? I do not understand I just share my experienced?? You can lick each other Hurricanes. I'm done with this AQ shill community.

Bye.. I suspect your analytical, deductive, and perhaps listening abilities are approximately equal to your lack of writing abilities, with around 30 errors in this post.

Reactions: ayreman

Well

Jun 9, 2019
Bye.. I suspect your analytical, deductive, and perhaps listening abilities are approximately equal to your lack of writing abilities, with around 30 errors in this post.

Well I did said " my English was bad " in my first post, maybe you should learn to read before showing off your Ego thanks.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

it's much easier on the admin team if you challenge the post and not the poster. This is certainly not the friendly behavior we are asking members show to other members

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Lets get back to the subject! I was in the camp of all cabling is snake oil... until i took some high end AQ speaker and power home. Darn, even had my wife come listen on the hurricane AQ. She picked the hurricane 3 of 3 times on the amps. Its subtle until you do back to back. Interesting that the power cord made no difference on the AR Ref 6 but a big difference on the Mac 601’s. I really didn’t want to spend the money LOL

Reactions: JayT

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
I was reading and could not resist to register so I could comment :)
@ayreman, we are on the same page exactly!!
I was somehow a cable skeptic before, tried many audiophile cables at various levels through friends but was not convinced yet that spending money on cables was right. I had some "audiophile" cables in place already, but of different brands, and with minimal spend. I have - by chance - discovered what Audioquest cables do, buying a 2nd hand two AQ thunders and an AQ diamond AES. once I hooked up those up, and heard the improvements they brought, I was out of control simply could not stop till I arrived at my current full loom, which is the best my budget allowed (after pushing it to the limit few times!!)
I can summarize what audioquest cables do, by a phrase I read in some review which is very true. "the Art of doing nothing"! in my humble opinion, AQ cables allow the most honest connection between your components, without altering by adding or subtracting anything from the actual components sound. the higher you go up in AQ range, the more transparent this connection becomes. PSC+ is great, PSS is the best if you can afford, the larger the gauge the better. and avoid LGC shit!
someone who doesn't know AQ, might think what they say in their marketing material is just blah blah. but its very true and scientific; which is something that I could understand, and I can hear its effect. its simply best conductors, best shield/dielectric, best geometry at a given price point. and it works! if a given setup has a full loom of high-end proper AQ cables, and it doesn't sound right, start checking your components one by one - could be a harsh sounding dac, could be a very soft, details black-hole preamp, could be a bad voiced amp with boomy bass, maybe a terrible low resolution speaker, or even probably your components are not playing well together - no synergy. AQ cables just lay the truth out in front of you, deal with it, or get a significantly colored cable at some point in your chain, to compensate. I have seen it in friends systems, in my own in the past. when my AQ firebird Zero speaker cable arrived, got broken in, I knew my custom made amps are too mellow/soft without detail nor PRAT, and they needed to go. bring in the gryphon Diablo 300, everything just sounded right; detailed, dynamic. the cables supported the diablo to shine cause it is indeed a great amp, and gave me an opportunity to appreciate its true capabilities. when the gryphon was in, that's when I realized my Wilson Sabrina's were using the inferior speaker cables I had before, with less than optimal bass and lots of boom to sound larger than what they are. sold, and bring on the KEF reference 5s full range towers. earth shattering bass, controlled and detailed beyond any measure! (side note - I love wilson speakers, just can't afford a true wilson - Sasha DAW and go up from there).
I'm at a point where I believe equal money should be spent on good cables. cause you might be sitting on some great gear/speakers. but if your equipment can't pass that audio signal properly between each other, hand it to your speakers in the best form possible while picking up the least noise possible, you are not actually utilizing what you have paid for in full!

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Saleh84, very well put. I couldn't agree more!

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Hell yeah, Saleh84! I couldn't have said it any better! ;)

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Well, I ended up dropping my Thunders and a Tornado and replacing them with the old NRG-4. I found that, whilst the new cords 'beautified' the music they knocked just a touch too much energy off the higher frequencies and, by extension, my emotional connection to the music. I tried them on all components in all combinations. Amazing to hear the different impact on different components. I've now got 4 x NRG-4's in my system and the sound is refined but dynamic in a way it wasn't with the new line-up. My system (Saleh, I too have the 300) my room, my ears etc etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: bmarq

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
eagle3333,
I agree your system, your room, and your ears. I recently have a similar experience between the AQ Hurricane and Dragon.
I had two Dragon powercords for a home audition. I put one on my DAC and the other on my preamp. My initial thought is the Dragon added a lot of detail. I usually listen with the volume set at 60, but had to reduce it to 58 with the Dragon inserted. After letting the music play for awhile, I did some critical listening for 90 minutes or so. I'm pretty certain that I will keep all Hurricanes and not purchase any Dragon powercords. It isn't because I think the Hurricane is better. I submit they are different and I always say cables are system dependent. In my system the Hurricane is a more balanced cable, where the Dragon is forward to my ears and it's a cable that really highlights details in a way that I don't like. E.g. when I listened to a blues track by KEB MO, with the Dragons the guitar was very forward and dominate, his voice was out of balance and the bass wasn't as full. Returning to the Hurricanes provided excellent balance with detail and fuller bass. There are no absolutes in audio and careful component matching is more important than how much a component cost.

Reactions: bmarq

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
eagle3333,
I agree your system, your room, and your ears. I recently have a similar experience between the AQ Hurricane and Dragon.
I had two Dragon powercords for a home audition. I put one on my DAC and the other on my preamp. My initial thought is the Dragon added a lot of detail. I usually listen with the volume set at 60, but had to reduce it to 58 with the Dragon inserted. After letting the music play for awhile, I did some critical listening for 90 minutes or so. I'm pretty certain that I will keep all Hurricanes and not purchase any Dragon powercords. It isn't because I think the Hurricane is better. I submit they are different and I always say cables are system dependent. In my system the Hurricane is a more balanced cable, where the Dragon is forward to my ears and it's a cable that really highlights details in a way that I don't like. E.g. when I listened to a blues track by KEB MO, with the Dragons the guitar was very forward and dominate, his voice was out of balance and the bass wasn't as full. Returning to the Hurricanes provided excellent balance with detail and fuller bass. There are no absolutes in audio and careful component matching is more important than how much a component cost.
Ricjor1 - this reminds me, I found the Tornado on the DAC brought more high end detail but voices became unnatural, lost body and bordered too bright ; this was not an issue with Thunder. it also reminds me when I went from USB Coffee to Diamond, latter brought more detail but it teetered on the edge of brightness with then Naim amp. I kept both just in case, but find brightness isn't such an issue with Diamond on Gryphon amp. This seems to be the way AQ works - more detail can mean less body and more brightness in some set-ups. Glad you're happy!

Reactions: johndoe21ro

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Funny you mentioned USB cables. I wanted to have all AQ cables, so I sold my Wireworld Platinum USB cable and purchased the AQ Diamond. Although we have different systems the Diamond sounded just as you described. I kept the AQ Hurricane powercords, because I prefer them over Shunyata and Wireworld. I went back to Wireworld Platinum XLRs and their USB cable. Wireworld has the detail and body that just sounds right in my system.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
..and, out of impatience, I didn't demo' the WW Platinum USB. I knew about it; wonder if I should have. P'raps I will!

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
For a pair of powered subwoofers, I'm lost between tornado and hurricane.
For my streamer, dac and amp, and wall to power strip, i have firebirds high current and source (simply amazing, upgraded to from Thunder and hurricanes).
Wondering though for a subwoofer if i should save and get two tornado, or splash extra a get 2 hurricanes. Its a one time purchase but still some decent savings.
Would highly appreciate opinions from someone who tried storm series cables with powered subs.
Happy new year everyone btw ))

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would get 2 Tornados and use the savings on something else. I did that for my Vandersteen Model 7 subs. My dealer said it was fine and I wouldn't hear a difference.

Reactions: Alpinist

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
Exactly my thoughts!
My concern is that i know the definition/details is better the higher you go up the ladder. For copper, PSC+ is king. I won't spend crazy money on sub power cables (no way firebird), Thought one step below would suit the situation, so initially i thought hurricane.
Then contemplated on it, its just bass between 50hz and 20 hz. i could use the savings for a planned streamer upgrade. So currently favouring tornado. Which i believe still has PSC+ probably for the current on demand wire. Hope i won't regret it ))

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I would get 2 Tornados and use the savings on something else. I did that for my Vandersteen Model 7 subs. My dealer said it was fine and I wouldn't hear a difference.

Richard Vandersteen told me that due to the way the Model 7’s subwoofer amplifiers charge, the power cord has very little effect on the sound of the subwoofers. Hence, that’s an excellent place to economize a little.

Ken

Reactions: dminches

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Exactly my thoughts!
My concern is that i know the definition/details is better the higher you go up the ladder. For copper, PSC+ is king. I won't spend crazy money on sub power cables (no way firebird), Thought one step below would suit the situation, so initially i thought hurricane.
Then contemplated on it, its just bass between 50hz and 20 hz. i could use the savings for a planned streamer upgrade. So currently favouring tornado. Which i believe still has PSC+ probably for the current on demand wire. Hope i won't regret it ))
Yes, you will regret it. You don't want to have anything below PSC+ in your system. And it doesn't matter that it's the subs because the cables sound even when they are not connected (and powering) any component. To all of you, guys, here... do the experiment: get a spare power cord, plug it into your distributer/power filter (or even into the wall) next to your amps (or a preamp) and put the other end of this cord on the floor (do not connect it to anything!). Now sit down and listen to some music. Next, unplug this cord. Listen again. See what I'm talking about? Power cords have a distinct sonic signature even when they are not powering anything. Their mere presence makes the difference!

So, Saleh84, you've got to go for the Hurricanes for your subs. I'm using Dragons HC with my REL Stentors;)

Last edited:
Reactions: redandgold

Saleh84

Jul 26, 2019
Yes, you will regret it. You don't want to have anything below PSC+ in your system. And it doesn't matter that it's the subs because the cables sound even when they are not connected (and powering) any component. To all of you, guys, here... do the experiment: get a spare power cord, plug it into your distributer/power filter (or even into the wall) next to your amps (or a preamp) and put the other end of this cord on the floor (do not connect it to anything!). Now sit down and listen to some music. Next, unplug this cord. Listen again. See what I'm talking about. Power cords have a distinct sonic signature even when they are not powering anything. Their mere presence makes the difference!

So, Saleh84, you've got to go for the Hurricanes for your subs. I'm using Dragons HC with my REL Stentors;)

Ayreman, I have not not purchased any cables yet - but I have been thinking, and as much as I like the idea of savings with Tornado which i have almost previously decided that i will go for, i keep thinking that i should not be cheap and its a one time purchase so getting the hurricane would be wiser. Esp that i have heard first hand what various levels of storm series could do. If i can afford, it will be all dragons, period. The idea is only 50 Hz and below didn't help push me towards hurricane, but there is musical information there too which could benefit from a better cord i guess.
my plan now is to get the subs in my room first (should be here end of the month i hope). Get a feel of what they do in the system using some OK stock cords temporarily. Once I'm done with the integration (since i have never had subs in my stereo, excited to see what would be the outcome!), also i would have figured exact length required based on placement, only then i will get two hurricanes.

I was thinking REL actually, then the manufacturer of my single driver speaker, cube audio, is about to release a 12 inch full sealed sub. As a single driver speaker is a bit different than regular ones, and careful matching of a sub is needed, also cause i wanted a truly fully sealed enclosure purly for music, these made more sense than REL with the passive drivers designed for extra omph and the semi home theater role. Plus, why the heck REL won't install regular speaker taps as option for high level input is beyond me. I hated the idea of a speakon connector since i wanted to use my redundant Thunderbird bass speaker cable. (Coming from kef reference 5s in bi wire config to no biwire cube audio nenuphar speaker)

Anyhow, we shall see. Fingers crossed the subs + hurricanes introduction would be an excellent one. Cause it was not a cheap move by any means!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing