AudioQuest Tornado and Thunder HC Cables

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I purchased one Thunder HC and one Tornado HC power cords. I also purchased one Monsoon and Blizzard for my front-end gear consist of an SACD player ( Marantz SA-10) and preamp ( Luxman C800F). My amp is a McIntosh MC-402 at 400 watts. I also use a PS Audio Regenorator P-12 for the front-end gear only.

I use the Monsoon of the Marantz, and Blizzard on the preamp, and for now, the Thunder powering the PS Audio P-12, and the Tornado on the McIntosh Amp. My question for those who may have used the HC Thunder and Tornados would I be better off using the Tornado on the Regenerator and the Thunder on the amp. I do plan to replace the Monsoon with a Blizzard shorty so the whole front end is using the same level of cables. I know in the past they said to start with the best in the front end and the last need for a good cable is the amp. So I have a choice here on how to best use the Tornado and the Thunder.

I will say with 24 hours on the Tornado and Thunder in the system, all that been said is true, they truly take your system to another level, as much as a component change, not sure which one is making such a positive impact.

Any users with the advice I love to hear it.

Last edited:

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Hi,

I own a Thunder and have always used it to power my Niagara 1000. I followed the same idea of having the best cable at the beginning of the chain from the wall, although AQ advised me to experiment. As far as current delivery the Thunder and Tornado have equal capacity so I would just experiment and see what works best on the amp vs the power plant.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
CW, Thanks. I did try the power cords both ways. I wound up using the Torando to power the PS Audio P12 which supplies the power to the front end gear only, and the Tornado on the McIntosh Amp. Blizzard on the preamp the reason being having the DBS pack to lower noise, then the Monsoon power the Marantz CD player. I flipped them around to check also, but it was a no-contest having the Blizzard on the preamp. I may get another Blizzard for the CD player so to match the preamp, or I might look for another Thunder source for the Marantz SA-10. But the Blizzard really is a good-sounding power cord on its own. So a few things to think about. I am impressed with what these power cords do to make one's system sound more coherent, quiet. When I listen now things just sound right. not overpowering lows or forwardness, it is even sounding across the board. What Garth said about these newer designs is true, that is rare when it comes to cables where many overpromise overprice them, and under-deliver. Perhaps down the road speaker cables by then, the William Tell interest me.

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Really interesting findings. What was the main sonic difference between Monsoon and Blizzard on the pre-amp? Good choices. The pre-amp is such an important part in the audio-chain. In my setup this is what makes the presentation 3 dimensional. I even have a pair of studio powered speakers hooked up to the pre-amp instead of going direct (Iloud MTM) because I compose music. Currently I power the pre-amp with a NRG y3, my computer with a NRG 2 from the previous series. I'm looking forward to do further upgrades as well.
You're right, these new series are incredible. Unmasking, depth of soundstage, bass response. The storm series and niagara really unearth all those qualities that make music sound real on my system.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
CW, THE monsoon is a very nice power cord, very clean and detailed, BUT when you take the step up to the Blizzard you gain dynamics, richness, and body, just more of everything and well worth the extra cost. No matter where you put the Blizzard over the monsoon you will hear the sonic improvements. I will get another Blizzard so to match the other Blizzard on my front-end gear. The Tornado is on the amp and the Thunder on the PS Audio P-12 regenerator you could switch them around it be a matter of personal taste. AQ said about the same when I spoke with them, but he said he might go with the Torando on the amp due to it being plugged directly into the wall outlet. If the amp was plugged into the P-12 then he felt the Tornando would be the way to go on the P-12. I just ordered the William Tell Zero speaker cables today, I am really high on what AQ is doing along with Garth is doing, they are making some superb cables nowadays, and I never was a fan of them in past. I am loving them..

Reactions: trekpilot

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Great to hear thanks! Curious to see how the second Blizzard will improve things. I currently have Rocket 44 single bi-wire speaker cables. The William Tell Zero must be fantastic as it is way up the line.
I feel Garth has indeed taken all their products to the next level. They are the leader in what they do right now imo.
Still can't believe some people don't hear differences and keep uploading videos with measurements thinking they have proven themselves..

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
CW, I'll let you know when I purchase the Blizzard and replace the Monsoon. Last night per AQ who were of 2 thoughts were to use the Tornado on the amp or PS Audio P-12, they were saying use the best on the front end and 2nd best cord on the amp. Well, I was enjoying my system, but I thought what the hell give it a try, so I did the switch, allowed the system to warm up played the same few tracks and the sound became more organic, weighted, and more powerful and dynamic along with more body and punch to the bottom end. Easy to hear, did not take 30 seconds. When I get the Blizzard to match the other Blizzard on my system it will be very interesting, and from what I know, it will only add to the presentation more weight, richness, details, and realism.

People who cannot hear a difference must have a hearing issue or just plain 100% against cables. Even my wife who cares little about gear but enjoys music, will say wow that sounds more real what did you do? She hearing the system from downstairs not even in the room and she can tell something changed. Now are cables really costing thousands and thousands of dollars and some cost as much as an automobile, preamp, or amp, I mean it is just wire and connectors, those in the $$$$$ range I have a problem with. But that a different story, but cables do make a difference and power cords to me can upgrade your system without having to spend one dollar on new gear. To me, it's the cheapest way to upgrade your system and that is from 30 years of experience. I don't change gear like my socks, nor cables, but when I find something that really works I will swap out my cables and take the direction I am now on. In the end to me, it is all about the music. Put together a good system takes talent and understanding and experience, and you don't have to break the bank to do it unless you just want the bling and status.

Reactions: trekpilot

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Have you ever considered using a model of their Niagara series? I highly recommend it. I had the Niagara 1000 EU but since I moved abroad now I am looking to find a replacement, preferably the 1200 US.
This conditioner really created a black background, in some instances the reverberation was unearthed to astonishing levels where I literary saw the back wall behind a drumkit.
Unreal. I completely agree with your upgrade path. If there is more to squeeze out of an existing setup, why completely change it.

The people against these cables seem to suffer from either jealousy towards the companies that achieved success or just an overdose of ego. I recently saw a video basically bashing an AQ speaker cable and what appalled me the most were all the comments. Like it's a war against something. Pretty funny considering the ease with which you can indeed hear improvements. My gf said that without the Thunder the presentation was completely 'flat'. She's not into gear either.
Also, when a component or cable doesn't work one can just return it.
I recently also more or less repeated the test Garth Powell described in his power demystified white paper. I made a recording of the speaker with a normal cheap power cable, played 10 seconds of music. Then I did the same with the Thunder connected. I compared the two audio files by flipping the phase on one so what is left is the audible difference between the cables which was actually a lot of music... Not that I needed the proof but I did it out of curiosity.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
CW, I think people for the most part do not understand this hobby. I have 125 family members on both sides, and zero have an audio system that costs as much as my one expensive power cord. XM radio is all they need and their phones with earbuds. So many who attack online are really ignorant of our hobby, I read once we are 0.5% consumer audio, this is why SACD or MQA has no chance to be nothing more than a niche. The Audio magazines make it sound like the next big thing but that stretching the facts. So we are a special very small group with a wonderful hobby that is supported by boomers for the most part, and now we see the shift to ultra-expensive gear aimed at the very well off with dollars to spend, while the middle-class really has no interest so they design gear to those who can afford it. Give a normal family making $75,000-$100,000 a year with 3 kids and say would you like to buy a $5,000 amp, $5,000 preamp and say $5,000 speakers and they look at you like your nuts, they have kids to educate, feed, bills, and a house note and a car note, high-end audio that is a need they don't have or ever think about, the $600.00 YV is good enough for them and cell phones, XM radio and they are good to go. To understand the attackers online, chances are they never heard a good system or owned a good system to them we are idiots who waste money. Let me know what you decide to do, keep in mind I've seen the AQ 5000 conditioners online in great shape go for $2,500 that is a steal in value and better money spent than a new AQ 1200.

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Yes you're absolutely right! I have a couple of friends who share the same hobby but even there whenever I talk about power cords they sort of don't want to go into that. In the 'pro' audio world audiophiles also are laughed upon. What I never understood is how people in my industry buy all-in-one studio monitors in the budget range and expect all those components in one small box to perform at their best. I have worked with separates since a long time thanks to a friend who owns a studio and does the same. I also own a couple of studio monitors but the level of realism and detail you can get out of good passive speakers, separate amp, pre amp, optimised cables etc etc is in a different league. Some top of the line mastering studios also work like that but even they are criticised. So yes it's like you say, ignorance and maybe budget restrictions that even doesn't allow them to think further.

That's indeed some good advice about the niagara. That's a steal for sure for that money! Where do you find those deals? I'm currently residing in Costa Rica and here it's hard to import things so I might have to fly in and out to the US to grab a good deal somewhere.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
CW, the Same goes for most live musicians, they say nothing sounds like live music, so they just have a small system and they are happy they find the rest a waste of money also. It's a hobby and a small group of hobbyists at that.

He is an ad on Audiogon. I've purchased my PS Audio P-12 from him. He might be will to ship to you if you pay for it. Never hurts to ask. Right-click on the link that clicks on the symbol to open link, or copy and paste the text below it.

See: AudioQuest Niagara 5000 | AC Distribution | Chicago, Illinois 60640 | Audiogon

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks a lot I'll check it out!
Yes musicians the same deal. We'll I'm glad I'm in the minority enjoying this beautiful endeavour!

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I finally got my Audioquest cables where I want them, and one Pangea that surprised me. Tornado on the PS Audio P-12 power regenerator, and one on the preamp, the Blizzard on the SA-10 SACD player, and for my 400-watt amp a Pangea 9SEMkii at 7gauge, the Pangea brought everything to life and really turned my McIntosh 400 watt into a beast, brought everything from the front end together, bass deep tight and powerful, midrange transparent yet with full body and the highs open and also with weight and presence. Go to show you just never know, which is why I save a lot of my power cords that I thought were good. Pangea was in my closet had used it on my video system conditioner then put it away, just for giggles I pulled t out and inserted it into my system and I must say I was taken back on how well it works with the McIntosh amp. Some trash Pangea because of price, but in this case, it beat $2,000 and up power cords on the amp at least.

Reactions: CW83

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Anyone got the chance to compare the Blizzard to the new series? The Tornado and Hurricane seem to get raving reviews.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
The Blizzard is quite good to really beat it you have to go up to the Tornado, the Tornado as the sonic of the Hurricane in many ways, then you go to the Dragon to really get to the next step. AQ has done a great job with their newer power cords, and then of course where you use them comes into play of where best to use them, so it will take some time to pin them down to what gear they shine in, and the changes can be subtle or more dramatic.

CW83

Apr 14, 2021
Hi

I finally obtained an extra 2m Thunder for my other amp. The interesting thing is that this version is an upgrade so now I have two different Thunders. The new version has a better DBS module and silver in its connectors. Also the geometry is different in the sense that my first Thunder is braided and the new one has its cables wired parallel with a clip.

I'll report my findings after putting it in my system. This one will replace an NRG 4.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing