Auditioning the Esoteric XO5

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I auditioned the the Esoteric CD player today at IQ Audio in Fairfax,VA details to follow.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Because the Esoteric transport is the choice of so many top notch aftermarket CD designs(Meitner,Playback designs,APl, etc.) I decided to give the original a listen. Yo give the original a listen. I gathered a few CDs and headed to Northern Virginia. Once again my GPS would not accept the address. It was as if the gods were conspiring against stereo dealers. I witched to my cellphone. It has a navigate function. For some reason it was having a bad day also. When I got close it recovered. It turned out I was only .4 miles away. Further investigation revealed the good people of Fairfax had renamed a portion of a thoroughfare that was well known to me and the general public. Maybe they should share that information with the folks at Mercedes Benz.
IQ is a large store with an impressive lineup. Similar to most stores they have a heavy dose of AV and surround sound. They had a turntable playing.
I was greeted at the door. The consultant was polite and granted my request for a demo enthusiastically. This is either their policy or a reflection of the difficult economic times. I prefer to think it was the latter. I had called ahead and they assured me they had the model I desired on display. I cannot tell you how many times I have arrived at a store only to discover they were not displaying the model I inquired about. Either the demo had been sold or there must have been some misunderstanding.
Rooms were large with high ceiling so that a proper demo was obtainable. Scot set up the system left a CD for me to play and exited the room with instructions that I could listen as long as I cared to like. An added bonus was I got to listen to the Esoteric tube amp and line stage and JM Labs Focal Speakers.

The Sound.

Everything was nice and pleasant. Vocals were crisp and well placed. Bass was good Treble was excellent. I made sure to bring a scratched CD which sometime causes problems. The Esoteric played right thru it. Overall I would give it a laid back quality. No digital artifacts were present. Maybe not completely absent.Certainly not the point of being annoying. I am sure that most could be very happy with this system. Perhaps it was me . Or the unfamiliar equipment and surroundings. Pretend to be lacking. I'm not sure what was to blame. probably not the CD Player.
Unfortunately they don't allow home demos. They did offer to allow me to bring my system in. Something I have only done once. Not a realistic option IMO.
I plan to give it another listen. You never know maybe it was I who was having a bad day. I could ask Scot to hook up some different speakers.
Conclusion
If you are looking for a first class CD player with a smooth sound and a rock like build quality this could be for you. This could be the player for those who don't like digital. What grade do I give it? I think I'll give it an incomplete and give it a second audition.

Attachments

• IMG_0831..jpg
    IMG_0831..jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0830..jpg
    IMG_0830..jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0829..JPG
    IMG_0829..JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0828..jpg
    IMG_0828..jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 404

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Should have stopped by conrad-johnson while you were in Fairfax :)

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
So they won't let you take a CD player home to audition, but they find it perfectly acceptable for you to bring your entire system to them? What a bunch of Horse Poowie. Especially since many here have speakers which weigh hundreds of pounds.

booboobaer

Aug 22, 2010
Columbus,Ohio
In all fairness, there are a lot of tire kickers and they ruin it for all the serious buyers. The high end stores cary expensive stuff and ususally they have only one in stock (opened). I can see their point. Most of the stores I visit will let me take home equiptment if I put it on my card. Then when I bring it back and it is in the SAME condition as when it left it is taken back off my card.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
They should definitely allow an in-home demo of something like a CD player. I think it would be difficult to evaluate the unit with an unfamiliar system and room.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Gregadd,

Thank you for this post. Is this model capable of playing both cd and sacd?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing