Aurender N30 - To stay competitive in 2021

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Roon Via airplay only , both servers are top notch , I like the Aurender app it's simple , I'm waiting for XDMS for the Taiko Extreme before deciding which I like more .
I do like my n30sa:) and I had a taiko before:):) agree simplicity of the software is great. Rau what connection do you use to the dac? Also have you upgraded the power and signal cable between the 2 units?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The N30SA is fantastic. However, adding the new Aurender MC20 Reference Master / Word Clock to it may make it even better. From Aurender website:

46DD0BF2-9458-4E9D-A4E8-730E01B5602C.jpeg

Time Is Of The Essence​

In any digital audio system, the rate at which digital data is transmitted and received is of the utmost importance. Specifically, all devices in the digital signal path must be synchronized in order to provide a coherent presentation. Therefore, for the ultimate experience in clarity, transparency, focused imaging, and natural realism, your system’s digital source, DAC, and any other upsamplers or converters should all receive the same synchronized clock signal from an ultra precise and stable source.

The Aurender MC20 is both a Master Clock and Word Clock generator that is inspired, developed, and designed to deliver an exceptionally high level of digital audio realism from a connected music server and/or D/A converter. Thanks to the MC20’s superior timekeeping, jitter is reduced to infinitesimal levels resulting in the ultimate timbral purity and rock-steady placement of instruments within your system’s soundstage.

At the heart of the MC20 is a rubidium module that generates a 10MHz master clock reference signal. A rubidium clock is employed for its superior accuracy and stability in both the long and short term for ultra-low jitter. Additionally, MC20 contains two discrete OCXO word clock modules for generating the frequencies 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. MC20 will independently and simultaneously supply the four 10MHz master clock outputs and four Word Clock outputs (2 at 44.1 kHz and 2 at 48 kHz) for unprecedented versatility with a wide variety of Aurender and third party equipment.

Therefore, the MC20 can be used in the following scenarios:

1. Simultaneously supply a 10MHz master clock reference signal to source devices such as Aurender music servers, DACs, and even separate word clocks with 10MHz master clock reference input.
2. Supply a 10MHz master clock to source devices such as an Aurender Music Server and word clock to DAC
3. Supply word clock to the source device and DAC

Rubidium Clock Module​

The rubidium clock module employed in the MC20 is an exceptionally stable and accurate design that establishes a new low level of phase noise and jitter. Its flawless performance delivers a new level of vivid clarity with a three-dimensional width, depth, and height to the sound field it creates. The reduction of jitter and phase noise removes any trace of “digital glare,” and instead provides an analog-style warmth and naturalism to any digital audio source.

Rubidium modules are high-precision devices, and they are extremely delicate instruments. Consequently, Aurender engineers have designed a unique shock-mounted housing system to secure the module and isolate from vibrations both within the chassis and in the surrounding environment. To ensure the rubidium module can be safely transported, it arrives in its own foam case within the MC20’s master carton. Upon unpacking, the module will need to be installed by the user and locked into its dedicated chamber before use.

Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO) for Long Term Jitter Reduction​

While the rubidium module takes care of MC20’s 10 MHz master clock generator signal, Aurender’s hallmark OCXO modules control individual word clock output. OCXOs are among the most accurate and stable clocks in use today. The OCXO modules deployed by Aurender’s engineers are orders of magnitude more accurate and stable than commonly used ordinary crystal oscillators usually found in computers. Temperature changes can cause crystal oscillations to fluctuate and induce jitter in the digital audio signal. Moreover, ordinary crystals are much less stable and lose accuracy over time. In OCXO clocks, a very stable high grade crystal oscillator is enclosed in a temperature-controlled compartment and kept at a constant temperature to mitigate jitter.

Connectivity – 10MHz Sine Wave Clock Outputs​

A 10MHz master clock signal works as a reference signal which informs Aurender’s OCXO clock for greater accuracy and stability over both the short and long term. Since Aurender’s clock input has an impedance of 75?, connect the MC20’s 75? impedance 10MHz Master Clock to the clock input terminal on the Aurender server. By both measurement and listening tests the 10MHz output of the rubidium clock delivers higher performance than other methods. It is highly recommended!

If the DAC allows, it is recommended to use a 10MHz Master Clock. Otherwise, use the individualized word clock outputs. Choose the 75? or 50? outputs depending on the DAC’s input impedance. In order to avoid signal loss and / or jitter, it is important to match cable impedance.

In a scenario where the DAC has a word clock input(s), you can connect the 10MHz Master Clock output to your Aurender and simultaneously a Word Clock output to the DAC. Connect the SPDIF BNC output of your source to MC20 for automatic frequency synchronization depending on whether you are playing a 44.1 or 48 kHz base file.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Wouldn’t the W20SE be a better comparison to the Extreme? Maybe even with the new clock? Wonder what price diff is for W20SE+clock vs Taiko….

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The new Aurender clock is 30k!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Wouldn’t the W20SE be a better comparison to the Extreme? Maybe even with the new clock? Wonder what price diff is for W20SE+clock vs Taiko….
Korean reviewer wrote that W20SE is no match for N30 any longer.

It is outdated.

Some people are of the opinion that N30 sounds better than Extreme.

But it will depend on system and personal taste.

During Pacific Audiofest, Aurender was used with Horizon to perform very well.

Extreme was used with Philum Dac in Asylvox room which also gave impressive result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Isnt the W20SE the flagship?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Thx. Looking into it! Not sure if I like that Roon is unavailable…. Server is next for me down the line….

P.S. I must add that 30K for a clock is absurd…

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thx. Looking into it! Not sure if I like that Roon is unavailable…. Server is next for me down the line….

P.S. I must add that 30K for a clock is absurd…

I agree that the price is absurd. IMO the N30SA beats other streamers even without the clock. Adding the clock though could make it better? I don’t know of anyone who has heard the clock, but would like to see some reviews.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I agree that the price is absurd. IMO the N30SA beats other streamers even without the clock. Adding the clock though could make it better? I don’t know of anyone who has heard the clock, but would like to see some reviews.
How many units can they expect to sell? Also internal parts of exquisite clocks are costly.

Thus 30 k$ is not exorbitant especially with their bullet proof construction.

I would not dare to give it home audition as I mentioned earlier unless my stocks fly to the moon. :cool:

Reactions: Hyperion and Audire

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I do like my n30sa:) and I had a taiko before:):) agree simplicity of the software is great. Rau what connection do you use to the dac? Also have you upgraded the power and signal cable between the 2 units?
I'm using a omega USB and no didn't upgrade cables , it's at 2nd home not used much

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Selling the clock for more than the device it is clocking is objectively absurd.

Also, I have to say, as a potential customer, the Aurender website is terrible. Confusing menus, way too many products with unclear distinctions. Took me way too long find what I was looking for. I’d suggest selling one clock and using the proceeds to hire a web designer.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I picked up N30 very late last night.

Thus I could not sleep. ;)

After running demagnetizing tracks for one hour, I started listenin to it.

Wow it gives very transparent window with fine details.

It may change its sound after a week of break in.

But my impression so far is that N30 is in another league above N20 althugh N20 could be the best value.

Below video was taken with N20.

Reactions: sapirg and Audire

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I had listened to N30 in Korea September last year.

Dac was MSB Select II,

Rotel amplifier drove Avant Garde Trio.

But at that time I noticed some hard edge from time to time although details and transparency are top notch.

It may be due to Rotel amplifiers which was odd ball among top notch audio gears.

I had made correct decison in buying N30 instead of N20.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

I picked up N30 very late last night.

Thus I could not sleep. ;)

After running demagnetizing tracks for one hour, I started listenin to it.

Wow it gives very transparent window with fine details.

It may change its sound after a week of break in.

But my impression so far is that N30 is in another league above N20 althugh N20 could be the best value.

Below video was taken with N20.

Congrats. And that’s a nice looking system!

The N30 takes a while to burn in. It only gets better.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
What's the big secret? Start at post #148

Congrats. And that’s a nice looking system!

The N30 takes a while to burn in. It only gets better.
Thanks for your compliment.

How can this improve after break-in?

Now I am of the opinion that Aurender is the best music server that I can imagine.

Wadax digital sounds somewhat romantic and analgog.

But I am not sure about the contriution of the server.

Reactions: Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing