Avengers 4: Endgame - Trailer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
f
You guys all live in a fantasy land

I thought you were all grown men. Now I can understand if you are taking your kids or grandchildren but I stopped reading comic books in elementary school. Now Bob, OTOH............;)

Grown men - have you ever seen them argue on audio :p

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't think there is anything redeeming about the X-men series.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
These were the top comics from back in the day. I remember the Xmen epusode Death of Phoenix...one of the grestest comics ever. All in my high school class had a copy. Nobody was a collector. 3 years later at Univ in Montreal, I go into a pro comic shop run by long haired hippies ..and say the price for a mint copy $1,000!
The damn comic probably cost $2 back in 1980!

Phoenix was by far the most powerful superhero(ine) of all time. Impossible for hollywood to do it full justice.

Reactions: NorthStar

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
f

I thought you were all grown men. Now I can understand if you are taking your kids or grandchildren but I stopped reading comic books in elementary school. Now Bob, OTOH............;)

I am curious as to what you all find redeeming about these movies
Live where?

it the movies. Pure entertainment nothing more. If not your cuppa tea, pass and move on to Wuthering Heights/ on Golden Pond or whatever type of movie tickles your fancy. lol

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A couple of the x men movies are good

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Logan and Day's of Future Past were ok. But honestly they screw up stuff that is too sacred from the comics. They have no idea how to tastefully move from comic to movie. Marvel is guilty of that, but not nearly as bad, and no where near enough to make you just despise a movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
f

I am curious as to what you all find redeeming about these movies

Steve, I've mentioned it before; it's all fun entertainment.
We're all different about our movies, our music, our entertainment in life.

Redemption we find it wherever it swings our rocks; films like Roma for instance; now there is some redeeming in that film, for me. ...Even in films like Black Panther, and Green Book.

Avengers: Infinity War was pure adrenaline fun. I understand 100% the huge interest in Endgame.
I think you're a Marvel fan or in the middle or not. Kids and adults can enjoy them, I do for some, and less for others. There's a kid in each adult, and it's nice to bring it back then and a while once. It feels free.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Live where?

it the movies. Pure entertainment nothing more. If not your cuppa tea, pass and move on to Wuthering Heights/ on Golden Pond or whatever type of movie tickles your fancy. lol
Please........

Don’t lecture

I’m probably one of the biggest movie buffs here
That’s why we have chocolate vamilla and strawberry. I bet I see more movies in a month than you do in a year.

I simply don’t find them entertaining.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Not lecturing. I see you love GoT (like me) and its the biggest fantasy of them all! As I said, don't judge, just pass on the superhero movies. Not your thing, no biggie!

For sure you see more movies than me!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Logan and Day's of Future Past were ok. But honestly they screw up stuff that is too sacred from the comics. They have no idea how to tastefully move from comic to movie. Marvel is guilty of that, but not nearly as bad, and no where near enough to make you just despise a movie.

I totally agree and in that order too. Fox was a disaster otherwise and The Gifted is just awful with all the whining of the main characters. Even the occasional "Oh cool it's _______!" can't save it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've just been reading a fantastic history of Marvel, and Stan Lee was pushing the movies side of things pretty much from the 70s onwards, much to the frustration of SDitko, JKirby etc. EndGame is pretty much what his vision would have amounted to, such a shame he died just before it was released.

Me? I'll still take the angst and psychadelia of the 60s-70s comics everytime.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please........

Don’t lecture

I’m probably one of the biggest movie buffs here
That’s why we have chocolate vamilla and strawberry. I bet I see more movies in a month than you do in a year.

I simply don’t find them entertaining.

I find it is the equivalent of jokes where you just had to have been there to find it funny Stevie. For guys our age, there was a comic comeback in the 80s and early 90s. This also happened to be the time where SFX was just starting to take off. In context, what was happening in the comics could not as yet be done on screen. It took another 20 years for the industry to be able to visually adapt the material successfully because of the lack of technology. Seeing the set pieces after all these years of wondering if any of these would be made at all, well, to me I felt like a childhood wish had been fulfilled. No wonder they've raked in so much money. They caught at least 2 generations! This is this generation's Star Wars and we their folks are in a unique position. Where else could a 49 year old Dad and his 11 year old boy, talk about the story arcs, minor subplots, etc, etc. I think it's really cool for my kid to think I'm cool because I know this stuff. They are growing up with near instant availability of information yet we know things about what tickles them silly. I love it!

While not entirely faithful to the source material, as GoT isn't, I think the MCU did a fantastic job on the continuity front. Is it 20 movies over 11 years? The thought of even attempting such a project was audacious, to pull it off, WOW. Hats off baby!

Congrats Disney/Marvel. Now fold in the Fox and Sony properties and redeem the sins of Fox LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Come to think of it, I've not seen any of them (I've watched all including the earlier, disappointing Hulk movies) with anyone other than my kids. It's the shared experience with them. I think it is different for you because you're with them to give them a good time. I understand where you're at. The only difference is, for us, these characters meant something to us when we were the age of our kids. It just wasn't a thing for you, not then and thus not now and that's perfectly cool with me.

That said, I also think I know why you don't connect much. The amount of FX for what remain classic plots makes for great eye candy but not necessarily a great film. Here's a funny case, Jaws vs The Meg. The ever failing animatronic shark in Jaws forced Spielberg to take a less is more, Hitchcock like approach and the movie remains one of the best horror/thrillers to this day. Contrasted with The Meg, where othing is left to the imagination. Sadly bad CGI physics is so prominent it hurt to watch it. Just plain hokey. Super Hero movies, are extremely graphic. I can see where this could wear heavily on some viewers.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the numbers so far (8 days, May 3rd) ... amazing!

Worldwide: $1,914,531,638

? https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2019.htm

It ranks number one in a multitude of fastest record earnings ever.
Some say now that it can topple Avatar, if after this weekend it reaches $2.2 billion.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I liked the original Iron Man movie. And it showed a very cool house with a very cool car collection!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes me too Ron, and there is an hommage to that film in the end credits of Avengers: Endgame.
It's not a video clip, it's just a very subtle sound effect.
Don't read if you intend to see the film and all the end credits.
But for most people they wouldn't know and everyone knows by now that there is no video clip for the next movie.

"Our educated guess is that the clanging metal is the sound of Tony Stark forging his first Iron Man armor in the 2008 film that kicked off the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe."

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/05/05/does-avengers-endgame-have-a-post-credits-scene

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing