Axl Rose declines induction into Rock Hall

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP

NEW YORK — The acrimony that helped dissolve Guns N' Roses nearly 20 years ago still lingers.

Axl Rose announced Wednesday that he won't be showing up to see the band inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and declined the honor for himself.

In a letter to the hall, band fans and "To Whom It May Concern," Rose listed several reasons for not attending Saturday's ceremony in Cleveland, including a feeling that the hall does not respect him.

In declining his own induction, he added: "I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf."

The hall said in a statement that it still plans to induct Rose with the rest of the group. "We are sorry he will not be able to accept his induction in person," it said.

According to the rock hall only the Sex Pistols have declined induction before.

Although Rose now fronts a reconstituted version of Guns N' Roses that does not include former members Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan or Steven Adler, some held out hope that the band might reunite at the hall.

Even Slash seemed to leave an opening for the possibility.

"I have no idea what's going to happen on that day," he said in an interview with The Associated Press last month. "It's more like going into it with blinders on and just see what happens."

But Rose apparently was miffed by such talk.

"There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities," he wrote.

He added: "So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense."

A rep for Slash said he would still attend Saturday but had no further comment. Green Day is scheduled to induct the group.

Rose admitted that when it was first announced that the band would be inducted, he had mixed feelings. But "I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation."

Rose's announcement cast a cloud over the band's induction but in some ways was fitting, given the dysfunction that marked the group as it became one of the world's most popular acts in the 1980s and 1990s. Its hits included "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain."

Besides Guns N' Roses, the inductees will include the Beastie Boys, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro, Donovan, and The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

I can't say I ever really got Guns n Roses. They always looked, behaved and acted like caricatures in a rock n roll comic book to me. But at least they are rock n roll, which is more than I can say for many of the hall of fame inductees.

Tim

I can't say I ever really got Guns n Roses. They always looked, behaved and acted like caricatures in a rock n roll comic book to me. But at least they are rock n roll, which is more than I can say for many of the hall of fame inductees.

Tim

I always enjoyed the group. I can recall being in Las Vegas about 15 years ago and sitting in the row behind the entire group for an Andrew Dice Clay show.

^^ I'm with you Tim. OTOH, sons and their friends did get into them.

My favorite G&R song was an old Bob Dylan one, "Knock, Knock, Knockin' On Heaven's Door"

Different strokes. That one always made me want to shoot the radio. On the other hand, it shined a complimentary light on Dylan's singing. :)

Tim

I've recently turned 32 and I "grew up" with G'N'R. I started listening to them when they're fame was declining and I continued till my personal discovery of progressive rock and metal.

Almost 2 years ago, Slash played in NYC. I went, alone, in a heart beat. Just fantastic. I felt 15 again, the vibes were amazing, I really felt the energy of rock :cool:
I doubt that a re-union would work, as I'm afraid Axl's voice has gone (that's why I didn't go, deliberately, to the new G'N'R concert last year). I wouldn't even wish for new studio material, as I don't want to ruin my memory of them.

They provided rock, with their brief but intense life, a wild and energy.

Use your Illusion 1 and 2 are truly awesome rock n roll albums and quite amazing that both were double albums released at the same time.

I can't ever remember that happening before. Please someone correct me?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing