Baerwald? LofgrenB? Stevenson? The math behind alignment conventions

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA
@miglto Yes, thanks - those are IEC, I’m specifically looking for the DIN version of those null points.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Since we’re talking IEC null points here, would any of you happen to know what the DIN null points are for Lofgren A & B? I’ve looked on line and haven’t come up with anything - I would think there’d be a chart somewhere listing all the null points for all the different geometries for every standard, e.g., IEC, DIN, JIS, etc. Please let me know if you have a source -thanks
Here are null points (last 2 lines) for 12" record DIN radiuses (first 2 lines). You can check my prior posts on this thread for JIS.
a.jpeg

b.jpeg

JimmyJet

Nov 15, 2022
Gig Harbor, WA

miglto

Oct 17, 2021
NYC
instagram.com
In my experience it is useful to find good alignment targets but that is only the starting point. Most cartridge’s styli are not exactly square with the cantilever and/or body, and for this reason, once you have done a good alignment you need to fine-tune zenith (and azimuth) to get the best setup.

I use AnalogMagik for this but there are other methods including listening for distortion which work well.

theophile

Reactions: miglto and mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Really not sure where all the attitude is coming from, but it has been quite unpleasant throughout this thread.
Sorry to hear that sensibly warning a member is unpleasant to you.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Treating a different member with such animosity as you continually display to miglto is unpleasant and unnecessary.
Please add IMHO to your post cause it only reflects your opinion.

IMHO your jumping in with a judging style is unnecessary and unpleasant.

theophile

Really interesting. Anyone has a link to the full pdf of the book (it is at this point public domain).
The entire book is available in that link I posted. Otherwise there were lots of PDF versions on the net.

Reactions: miglto

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have looked at these on my protractor never knew how they differed. I understood they meant the 2 null points were different. But, is there any reason any, either, or would sonically sound different. Or are the sonics only impacted by the geometry of the diamond tip to vinyl surface contact. The null points only being where rhe diamond at 2 points has its Zenith correct to the groove.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have looked at these on my protractor never knew how they differed. I understood they meant the 2 null points were different. But, is there any reason any, either, or would sonically sound different.
Almost all pivoted arms have overhang and offset at the headshell. This design choice reduces tracking error by enabling two tangential radiuses over the record surface. Those are called null points. Each geometry whether Lofgren A, B or Stevenson has a different approach at handling distortion. Depending on your choice of geometry distortion level is going to change which will inevitably effect the sound.

Most common geometry, the Lofgren A (Baerwald) aims to achieve equal distortion levels at the beginning, at the end and in between the null points. The location of null points depend on design approach of the geometry and inner and outer groove radiuses of the record. In other words working area. Each standard (IEC, DIN, JIS) defines this working area differently by agreeing on different inner and outer groove radiuses. That's why location of null points is determined also by the standard. The same Lofgren A alignment dictates different location of null points for IEC, DIN and JIS. It is still the same design approach set by Lofgren A but different null points. Changing location of null points becomes possible by altering overhang and offset angle.

As a result each geometry and standard has a different location for null points which makes it 9 in total. You can invent another design approach and settle on a different location of null points just like UNI-DIN. It concentrates only on DIN standard raising total choices to 10. All of these 10 choices inevitably effect the sound. As if it's not complicated enough you can measure your record collection and set your standard for inner and outer groove radiuses which will dictate new location for null points depending on the geometry you've chosen. Which choice is better is up to you.

If you have a record collection cut regarding IEC standard then settling on IEC Lofgren A is most probably better than DIN Lofgren A, but it's not certain if it's better than IEC Lofgren B or IEC Stevenson.

Or are the sonics only impacted by the geometry of the diamond tip to vinyl surface contact.
No. Sonics are impacted by both geometry of the stylus relative to groove (zenith, azimuth, SRA) and geometry of the arm relative to grooves (overhang, offset)

The null points only being where rhe diamond at 2 points has its Zenith correct to the groove.
Yes, if you set zenith correctly. Zenith is more related to cartridge alignment than geometry.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ouch. A lot to digest. One of my favorite settings is with a paper tractor I made with photo paper. It came from a Rega download I calibrated, then punched out the center with a pin. I don't know what its based upon, but I like it with my table. Never really gravitated to anything on my Smart Tractor.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: mtemur

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
An anecdote (I may have posted it before, and if in this thread way before the off topic discussions):
I measured the innermost modulated groove radius of the by now well documented side three of the DG TOS release of the Brahms piano concertos with Gilels and Jochum to 52 mm. Putting that into a Löchern A/Baerwald calculator I got 57.5 mm as the inner null, the same as Stevenson DIN.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
An anecdote (I may have posted it before, and if in this thread way before the off topic discussions):
I measured the innermost modulated groove radius of the by now well documented side three of the DG TOS release of the Brahms piano concertos with Gilels and Jochum to 52 mm. Putting that into a Löchern A/Baerwald calculator I got 57.5 mm as the inner null, the same as Stevenson DIN.
Cutting engineers don’t always conform to the standards and cut longer even in the country that set the standard. This makes it even more complicated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing