Bar Brawl

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A bit - as we installed AC after the house was refurbished and for my 100 sqm living room a powerful unit was necessary.
For critical listening I would prefer to wait the evening and switch off AC. But for « siesta music » is ok.

I understand.

Steve has the quietest air conditioning/ducting system I have ever heard (ah, not heard) in a listening room. I wish I had been more focused on the air conditioning ducting when I worked over my listening room.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think its a commercial viability thing. Ultimately, they complexity of the arm is the reason why SME have stopped making them. They could never make them well for a price which they could make money on.

As I understand it they were complex to build and took hours to set up to the optimum. Something to do with setting the bearings? I believe the people doing it were given a set time to build each arm, lets say a couple of hours. But you could spend much much longer, which wouldn't be = was never commercially viable. Some could have 30 hours + on them, and you can hear the difference.

But really, you need to speak to Mik on this topic. He surely must know more than almost anyone on the planet about these arms and the sound variations within them. After all, he still has literally hundreds and hundreds of them. If he positions his business at the bleeding edge of analogue audio you have to ask why he is still so big on SME's.
agree completely.

i've spoken to Mik on this subject at length. besides currently owning hundreds of SME arms of all types, he grew up spending time at SME and knew the blokes that built them. which were the most and least capable. he was there. the build variability was considerable. his father was a friend of Alastiar Robertson-Aikman, the founder of SME.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I understand.

Steve has the quietest air conditioning/ducting system I have ever heard (ah, not heard) in a listening room. I wish I had been more focused on the air conditioning ducting when I worked over my listening room.

quiet HVAC is not that complicated. you need an isolated air box mounted on some sort of isolation tray, away from the room. you need -3- 90 degree turns in your input venting, with dual runs and high volume, low speed, air flow. then your heat exchanger needs to be away from your room (mine is on the other side of my barn with three interior walls between it and my room).

i can have 30 people and all my gear on in my room on a hot day and keep it quiet and cool.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Finally a place to talk about my unnaturally black backgrounds , imaging and room treatments :)

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
agree completely.

i've spoken to Mik on this subject at length. besides currently owning hundreds of SME arms of all types, he grew up spending time at SME and knew the blokes that built them. which were the most and least capable. he was there. the build variability was considerable. his father was a friend of Alastiar Robertson-Aikman, the founder of SME.
Interesting isn't it. No one yet has said this idea is rubbish.
In my head this means we must be agreeing that a good, selected "SME" (what do you call it when it could be a 5, or 4, or 3? a good one could be any of them) is a very viable choice even in this day and age. Its just a deeply unfashionable choice.

Reactions: Barry2013

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Finally a place to talk about my unnaturally black backgrounds , imaging and room treatments :)
I.e. throw some light on those backgrounds, etc

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Good idea for a catch - all thread. If it's an anything goes thread, does that mean noone can get kicked out? ;-)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good idea for a catch - all thread. If it's an anything goes thread, does that mean noone can get kicked out? ;-)

No, it does not mean that. This thread is NOT anything goes, because that suggests -- falsely -- that our Terms of Service do not apply here.

Our Terms of Service apply to this thread just like they apply to every thread and every post.

"Anything Goes" applies to Facebook, not to WBF.

Please do not hesitate to contact me privately if you have any questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me privately if you are unsure as to whether a proposed post violates our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

No it's not that. Forum etiquette applies to all threads, but for this thread there is no defined topic so you can discuss multiple topics. Of course you cannot discuss something like politics which is not allowed on the forum, as that would lock the thread down. However, on this thread if another thread goes off topic and you want to continue the discussion, can be done here. And this thread can move freely between live show, cables, imaging, analog, digital, whatever, sports, tv, all that is allowed across the forum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bad example - that's flatly false.

He doesn't have a Facebook account. Or WhatsApp. He would moderate his friends posts on them though if he did.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My musical taste has certainly evolved. For years I bought and listened to various Classical composers, mainly of String Quartets. While I still like that format, I rarely listen to it anymore. Two or three years ago I started buying Metal artists each week from HDTracks, and now I have hundreds of new Metal albums. The funny part is I will be 72 in September. Oh well. :)

rando

Sep 22, 2019
My musical taste has certainly evolved. For years I bought and listened to various Classical composers, mainly of String Quartets. While I still like that format, I rarely listen to it anymore. Two or three years ago I started buying Metal artists each week from HDTracks, and now I have hundreds of new Metal albums. The funny part is I will be 72 in September. Oh well. :)
Pending approval this mirrors Ron's interest level in primitive musical forms such as metal Bonzo's grasp of how deeply humorous things being "Metal" has become.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I never listened to Metal in my life, but I will be in November only 62 , so still 10 years to catch up;)

Reactions: rando and Lampie519

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, WE won't disown you...

Reactions: Bobvin

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The natural sound from a BBQ....
Yum Yum

Reactions: Bobvin

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Genuine Q...should Caesar's chat on $15k dildos on the Wadax Reference Dac thread be moved here? Or to it's own What's Best category to compete w coffee machines and performance cars etc?

At least we can take stead knowing if anyone truly falters into the realm of theatrical hyper-masculinity or cosmetically ostentatious drag queens. That they won't be part owners this time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing