Bespoke Audio TVC Passive Preamp - An Unassuming Star

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Congratulations, looks gorgeous. Are you going to share your experiences using this package with the Select 2? ;)
Hello Emile,
My ordered pair of xlr Totaldac Drivers will arrive this week.
I have to burn-in them before telling you reliably the performance of Bespoke Ultimate Silver + Totaldac Drivers + MSB Select DAC.
;)

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Am I suffering from hallucination?

I bidded this old cd from eBay.

IMG-20200329-WA0043~2.jpeg

Rostropovich's cello was rather too soft/mellow/slow on my Bent Audio copper autoformer passive preamp.

The Bespoke Ultimate Silver improves the resolution, freq extension, imaging and attack a lot yet retaining all the musicality.

However when I removed the protective plastic stickers on the gold-plated brass cowls, the cello became even more real/vivid!

20200329_120346~2.jpg
20200329_120457.jpg

I must have been working too hard for the COVID-19 Outbreak lately and need more sleep.
o_O

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Dear ckkeung, finally what are thé improvement brought by the ultimate version ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dear ckkeung, finally what are thé improvement brought by the ultimate version ?
Hi Jpspock,

I talked about the performance of the Ultimate Silver version on #67 & #68, when I did a shootout of the various versions in the showroom of the dealer in HK.

I am most happy to say that my own Ultimate Silver exhibits the same merits after burn-in :
Quieter yet with more air & resolution.
The music is more effortless.
The soundsatge is bigger 3-dimensionally.

In simple words : only improvements and zero pitfall.

I whole-heartedly recommend all Bespoke preamp owners to consider this upgrade!
:D

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
very nice ck! that is one beautiful preamp :drool :drool

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks CK , I would be curious to hear the difference. Do they change only thé cowls ? Has your friend who did this upgrade but with a copper version the same perception.

and latest , what´s difference between silver and copper version ?

Many thanks for your help.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Michael Fremer's shorr review :

" ... I ran the Bespoke balanced into a pair of CH Precision M1 monoblock power amps, and later, for comparison, played the same high-resolution tracks with my dCS Vivaldi One's balanced outputs plugged directly into the amps. A comparison doesn't get more direct than that ...

... the same tracks played a second time directly from the dCS Vivaldi One sounded somewhat less coherent and more aggressive ...

... I really enjoyed The Bespoke Audio Company's passive preamplifier. If I had the money to keep one around for special times, I'd buy it. But I don't. ... "

:p

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I just bought an Allegri Reference and I am going to buy a Totaldac Driver. How is it best configured, DAC (Lampi TRP) to Allegri Ref to Totaldac Driver to amps (Merrill)? Where can I buy the Totaldac driver?

Thanks much.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just bought an Allegri Reference and I am going to buy a Totaldac Driver. How is it best configured, DAC (Lampi TRP) to Allegri Ref to Totaldac Driver to amps (Merrill)? Where can I buy the Totaldac driver?

Thanks much.
Congrats!
Putting the Totaldac driver between the passive preamp and poweramp is the usual config.
But why not to try putting it proximal to the Allegri Ref? It's fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Congrats!
Putting the Totaldac driver between the frontend and poweramp is the usual config.
But why not to try putting it proximal to the Allegri Ref? It's fun!
Thank you. I apologize, probably our language differences, I didn't understand your response on where to put the driver in the chain. Are you saying after the Lampizator and from the D1 to the Allegri?

I love your Bespoke preamp. Then again all of your equipment looks and sounds beautiful.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Made a typo and just corrected it.
It should be : " ... Putting the Totaldac driver between the passive preamp and poweramp is the usual config ..."

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Just got the Townshend Allegri Reference. My intital impression is that it's a little brighter than I prefer. That could be system synergy. I have many rectifiers for my Lampi I should try it see what I like best. With the NAT Magnetic my favorite recti was the Takatsuki 274 but I can see where that might be a touch airy.

I'm assuming there is no break-in or warmup time needed for the Townshend since it's a passive but maybe that's not true.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I loaned the original Allegri a decade ago, and despite loving the levels of resolution, couldn't live w the bloodless, dedicated tone on offer, emphasised by lack of heft in the bass.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I swapped out the Taki rectifier for a GZ and I like the tonal balance more. The one thing that is giving me difficulty though is integrating the RELs into my system with the Allegri. With the NAT once the RELs were set-up I could listen to the system at nearly any volume and have what sounded like the right amount of bottom for sound level. With the Allegri, it's pretty easy to set the RELs for the right volume when I am listening at a high level, but when I turn it down to background levels, it's like I lose all bass. Anyone have any experience using a really good passive in a full range 2 channel system with subs?

Thanks much.

Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Spent a lot of the day trying to get the tonal balance just right. I can set the RELs so the system measures flat down to 25hz but the Allegri seems to lack the oomph of the active NAT preamp. Soundstaging is gorgeous and completely holographic. I nver heard something so pristine. However when it's called for it sounds like the system runs out of gas when the material pushes it (e.g. the drums on Fleetwood Mac's The Chain). Maybe it will involve some more tweaking like changing out the Audio Note silver cables (25 strand I think, an older version) running from the Lampi to the Allegri Ref. Maybe better power cords on the subs (Synergistic Foundations are on the way).

I am assuming this is the issue that the Totaldac driver is supposed to resolve, this last bit of dynamic range? For those that have the d1 driver, did you but it with 0b or 10db gain?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Dumb question, I hope someone can help.

Was breaking in a pair of ICs this week. Set the system (Lampi TRP into Townshend into Merrill Element 116) to run a few days. On Thursday I shut everything down and didn't use it al all yesterday. When I was doin critical listening today it sounded like the system was down a few db in level. My guess is about 5db. Checked and replaced the Lampi tubes, rectifier and outputs. Nothing amiss there.Unplugged and plugged in again RCA from TRP to Townshend and XLR for Townshend to Merrill. No help. Unplugged Merrills, left them off for 5 minutes and plugged them in again. Again, no difference.

I am wondering if this could be a Roon issue. Roon forced an update on Tuesday that didn't install fully and crashed my LDMS server. Lucas had to log in remotely and fix everything, after which it was fine. I've already asked him if he thought Roon could be at fault. I'll see what he thinks tomorrow or Monday.

I swear high-end audio is like owning a Ferrari.

Ian

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Check that the pre doesn't have a +6dB switch somewhere - quite a few of them do.

Re: other issues - you might just have to accept that in your system, active pre's are better than passive. The D1 Driver may help, but at the expense of system complexity etc.

I've spent plenty of time with passives and there is a lot to admire in what they can achieve, but in my system at least, adding the right pre brought a certain magic that I couldn't find with a passive, even when a D1 Driver was added.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing