Best analogue recording of Satie's Gymnopedies?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I love an emotionally filled rendition of the 3 Gymnopedies from Satie (the first especially). I had read that "the" recording to own is Erik Satie on Angel Records 35442. I found one on Discogs advertised as being "Near mint" media and Very Good sleeve so purchased it. The record and cover visually looked good, however playing was a different matter. Clicks and pops in abundance through every song on side one to the point of being unlistenable, but to make it worse, the first song on side two "Trios Gymnopedies, the very song I bought the album for, had two skips in the first minute of playing. My needle was all over the place.

I will try and return it to the dealer (else a very poor rating), but, being as old a recording that it is, will I find any in near mint condition? I checked on the Classic FM radio website for their recommendations (as regards to the most emotional rendition of the Gymnopedies) and read that they recommended "Satie - Pascal Roge', Decca Records 410 220-2 as being the one to get you every time. I looked on Discogs to see if anyone had a mint or near mint copy to sell and found that only CDs were available as Decca 410 220-2, but there was one vinyl record included with the CDs on the search whose label was London Records 410 220-2. There were two of these pressings for sale used, both from France, one rated NM/VG+ the other VG+/VG+.

Before I inquire into these, can anyone tell me if these were digital-to-vinyl recordings? On my system, for some reason, LPs recorded from digital masters suck. I end up giving them away. If so, does anyone know of a brilliant version of this song by Satie that is pure analogue and conveys the emotive feelings that this song is known for?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Decca Records 410 220-2 as being the one to get you every time....

Before I inquire into these, can anyone tell me if these were digital-to-vinyl recordings?

At least one of the CD album cover state quite clearly these were digital recordings.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I also recommend the Aldo Ciccolini version on EMI. IIRC it was recorded in the early 80s so most probably analogue.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Angel recording is the Ciccolini recording. However, Angel pressings were done with copies of masters, while the EMI ASD2389 was from the masters. Also Angel vinyl was not at all reliably quiet. Ciccolini did several albums of Satie. EMI ASD2602 was the second volume of Satie done by Ciccolini. I have seen listings for others in the series, but I think they were all French EMI, definitely not British ASD series. The Gymnopedies 1 and 3 have a fine orchestration done by Debussy and are probably better known in that format. EMI has the orchestral version along with other Satie pieces on EMI ASD2369 with Louis Auriacombe conducting the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra. There is also a very fine recording of the two orchestral pieces by Previn and LSO on RCA (recorded by Decca) on RCA SB6721 (an Absolute Sound Superdisc) with the US release on RCA LSC2945. I have the 3 EMI and both RCA in vinyl. The famed Decca engineer Kenneth "Wilkie" Wilkinson engineered the recording.

Finally, the Decca digital recording is on vinyl Decca 410220. The early Decca digital recordings were done with their proprietary 48/16 system and the vinyl uses that mastering for their pressings. They downsampled to 44/16 for the CD's many feel sound inferior. This was the first of four albums Roge did for Decca of the piano music of Satie. So skip this one if you only want analogue. Otherwise, the vinyl should be quite good.

Larry

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England

Rensselaer, I love Satie on vinyl as well.

I'd say buy ASD2389 for the sound quality and the Roge for the performance, just. Buy either with confidence. I have both the Decca 410-220-2 vinyl and the Ciccolinis, and although as the sleeve above shows the Roge is digital to vinyl IMO the sound is pretty good. I also have 5 or 6 Ciccolini LP's in the Satie set and to my ears their sound quality is definitely superior to the Roge.

Having said that I play the Roge most of the time for the performance.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Ciccolini did several albums of Satie. EMI ASD2602 was the second volume of Satie done by Ciccolini. I have seen listings for others in the series, but I think they were all French EMI, definitely not British ASD series.
Larry
Yes, the one I had is a french edition

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Reinbert de Leeuw was a dutch Composer,Conductor,Pianist he made recordings of Eric Satie piano works in 70s despite the fact Reinbert De Leeuw was a extremely knowledge musicologist specially in modern repertoire he was also a fan of Saties solo Piano works in times it was almost unknown by the big audience...

His playing of Satie is calm mystic and represent the charm of less is more whit a modest pride.

Recordings are made in 1976/1977 in analog:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
If you have r2r, I suggest this recording. Great playing and recording. I really cherish these tapes. It is released on vinyl too. It is as analogue as it gets :)

Pure analogue recording with Telefunken M 10a with V86 and V87 tube amps, Neumann KM 256 Microphones, 2 TAB V76 Mic-Preamps, mixed with a Neve Melbourn Console, EMT 140 Plate Reverb.
Recorded by Manuel Egger at Suburban Studios in Winterthur / Switzerland.

No electronic effects or post processing. Straight to tape recording.
Vinyl Cut by Adi Flück from Centraldubs with analogue tape machine.
No digital equipment at all was involved in this production.
Producer: SCHOPPER AG

Attachments

• Satie_Band_1.jpg
    Satie_Band_1.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: astrotoy

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
If you have r2r, I suggest this recording. Great playing and recording. I really cherish these tapes. It is released on vinyl too. It is as analogue as it gets :)

Pure analogue recording with Telefunken M 10a with V86 and V87 tube amps, Neumann KM 256 Microphones, 2 TAB V76 Mic-Preamps, mixed with a Neve Melbourn Console, EMT 140 Plate Reverb.

I am to now listening. Thanks for the recommendation. Yay??? #halcyon

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Thanks, I never have heard of this company. Very reasonable price for a 2 reeler. Will be ordering soon. Larry

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks, I never have heard of this company. Very reasonable price for a 2 reeler. Will be ordering soon. Larry
Maybe you have heard of Schopper from his work on Thorens turntables.

I fully recommend him and his tapes. I will get more from him soon. He also has a great collection of tapes, I think you would have more things in common than a very few people owning tapes!

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Maybe you have heard of Schopper from his work on Thorens turntables.

I fully recommend him and his tapes. I will get more from him soon. He also has a great collection of tapes, I think you would have more things in common than a very few people owning tapes!
I looked up the website and saw it was Juerg Schopper who posts regularly on the Reel to Reel Tape Collectors Facebook group. So I have read his posts for several years. I didn't realize he was also selling tapes. Never talks about it on the FB group. Just ordered the Satie tapes. Thanks, Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just realized I have the Satie from Jacques Louissier...jazz...he does brilliant jazz of Bach's works. So in reading a few reviews and listening a bit, I elected to go for Ogawa on BIS.

...and in reading the reviews (which covered Ogawa's use of an original piano from the era of Satie), I came across Brautigam (well known for his use of fortepiano) regarding his incredibly well regarded work on Mozart (Sonatas and Concertos)...and got those as well! The discovery of great music...!

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise.

Reactions: kodomo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing