Best audiophile headphones

Should I Choose Audeze el8 Titanium or Focal Elegia?

• Total voters
IMO the Harmon curve is a marketing ploy. Of course they will have science on their side. Maybe even a few blind listening tests. Tonality is always the key. But the sound just does not measure up. Its a big advantange to set the standard .

Reactions: mtemur
Audeze el8 Titanium or Focal Elegia...which are more enjoyable? Is the el8 too heavy on the head? Are the highs in the Elegia fatiguing? Which has the better soundstage?

I havent heard the focals but my general impression of most modern headphones (audeze, stax, grado, sennheisser etc) is that they sound a bit like modern speakers: detail oriented, bass weak and/or slow, limited dynamics, and most of all: poor tone and musicality.

A notable exception is fostex. Not exactly ruler flat but great tone. I personally own and enjoy the th00x. The top model th900 is probably better but also significantly more expensive.

Theres a company in california that heavily modify the fostex phones. Could be even better.

Good headphones really deserve a good valve amp. I use a leben cs300 with my fostex, which is good, but im sure there is better. I think you need to spend at least as much on the amp as on the phones.

Attachments

• D17A8B9A-BC71-43CD-B777-71F90FFE57FD.jpeg
    D17A8B9A-BC71-43CD-B777-71F90FFE57FD.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The new version of jecklin float headphones, open electrostatics sounds real good.
float-qa.jpg

Reactions: Gregadd and K3RMIT
I havent heard the focals but my general impression of most modern headphones (audeze, stax, grado, sennheisser etc) is that they sound a bit like modern speakers: detail oriented, bass weak and/or slow, limited dynamics, and most of all: poor tone and musicality.

A notable exception is fostex. Not exactly ruler flat but great tone. I personally own and enjoy the th00x. The top model th900 is probably better but also significantly more expensive.

Theres a company in california that heavily modify the fostex phones. Could be even better.

Good headphones really deserve a good valve amp. I use a leben cs300 with my fostex, which is good, but im sure there is better. I think you need to spend at least as much on the amp as on the phones.
Wow...very interesting. Have you heard the Meze Empyrean? I have very few references in headphones and only just learning, so thanks for any guidance here. I am liking what I am hearing with the EAR Yoshino HP-4 (which we own) driving it. We have had a Sennheiser HD650 for some time...and for 200 bucks, an excellent buy. The 800S came and went after weeks of trying to get it to work for us...but it did not.

Again, liking the Meze...would appreciate any insight if you have heard it.

The raal is really good right up to certain genre where it starts to show it’s lack of speed.
the jecklin was great on all genre but looks weird
it’s a real stat too plays loud too.

Wow...very interesting. Have you heard the Meze Empyrean? I have very few references in headphones and only just learning, so thanks for any guidance here. I am liking what I am hearing with the EAR Yoshino HP-4 (which we own) driving it. We have had a Sennheiser HD650 for some time...and for 200 bucks, an excellent buy. The 800S came and went after weeks of trying to get it to work for us...but it did not.

Again, liking the Meze...would appreciate any insight if you have heard it.

Sorry havent heard the meze. Im not a headphone buff whos tried everthing and changes phones (and dac) more often than underwear.

Just read my post as the opinion of someone speaker and analogue oriented who’d been through everything in a couple of shops in search of a pair of headphones for occasional listening.

I also own a pair of HD650 which are ok but the fostex TH-00X are much better. Much more love in the tone.

Trouble with the jeklin float is that you will look like a fashion victim. Strictly only for domestic use. ;-)

Reactions: K3RMIT
The first was great too. Trouble is they still don’t look good
there is another company who made this style too. the same guy who makes the midrange ribbon sorry I can’t think of his name.
Yes, indeed the design is not a burner, AKG K 1000 looks better, but sounds thinner not so organic,full body midrange, a bit better resolution in the heights.

061127.jpg

Sorry havent heard the meze. Im not a headphone buff whos tried everthing and changes phones (and dac) more often than underwear.

Just read my post as the opinion of someone speaker and analogue oriented who’d been through everything in a couple of shops in search of a pair of headphones for occasional listening.

I also own a pair of HD650 which are ok but the fostex TH-00X are much better. Much more love in the tone.

Trouble with the jeklin float is that you will look like a fashion victim. Strictly only for domestic use. ;-)
Thanks...and that makes sense. Good to know about the Fostex...will give them some thought.

The new RAAL looks high tech

What? You don't like sound as clear as light? Lol.

The Heil driver is VERY fast but the Ergo AMT requires a real power amp.

I tried the See 800HD, didn't do it for me. The Stax were nice and I like certain Beyerdynamics.

Enjoy

I tried the See 800HD, didn't do it for me. The Stax were nice and I like certain Beyerdynamics.

Enjoy
I'm very happy with my mobile hifi system tablet, soekris dac and sennheiser hd 540 reference i don't need more.IMG_20190325_185302.jpg20220114_161936.jpg

Reactions: Gregadd

Enjoy
HD 800 can be finicky. It needs the right amplification(tube). Relatively speaking it needs lots of power to sing.

Last edited:
HD 800 can be finicky. It needs the right amplification(tube). Relatively speaking it needs lots of power to sing.
This little dsd dac with headphone amp kicks in th ass 3.5 volt rms / 3ohm output. For home hifi botttlehead tube amp

Reactions: Gregadd
The hd800 is finicky it does need an amp with a higher output imp then most headphones
woo audio has a great way to make there amp woo WA5 work on many phones
they have a low imp and high imp and a speaker output using a XLR
over all headphones and iems need a large varying type of amp.
The new raal needs a massive high power one and it’s own resister network to use them.
i Love an open can and truly open wing like sound best to me period
I had high hopes for the raal
I might buy the new jecklyn model to try

I can imagine. I think I did hear it with a Woo amp. More on the thin side IIRC. I know its highly regarded.

No i'm a Sennheiser guy , i have a old hd 540 reference.
if i were to buy new headphones, it would be the sennheiser hd 800s.
very comfortable to wear, open clear sound
View attachment 88024
Very interesting...we really liked it BUT it triggered tinnitus for some odd/inexplicable reason which the HD650 never does (any for the most part neither does the Meze Empyrean). So after 30 days of trying passive filters (which worked really well)...we have apparently gotten an offer to buy it from us. I am not sure if our local dealer has the deal done or not...if you are interested in a 30-day old pair in mint with all boxes, etc (and even the passive filter made by Solderdude)...let me know.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing