Best audiophile switch

That's not why we love DSD. We love DSD because it is in our opinion the digital format that sounds most natural. In my live to two track recordings we split the mic feed to PCM and DSD ADCs. The DSD file always sounds more like the live event.
How many years ago did you do that?

That is the screen shot of the patch matrix program to control routing, but to recall what the label's IT guy said what he was running on the gateway server was an experimental software at the time called Dante Domain Manager.
Thanks for all the technical info; you clearly know what you're talking about in a professional capacity. Much of it went over my head, not because I didn't understand it but I struggled to relate it to the topic under discussion = low RFI noise streamed music reproduction,.

What is your hifi system in general - speakers, amp, etc - and what streamer are you using specifically? What sort(s) of music do you listen to mainly?

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli
Ever wonder why MFSL captures tape in high rate DSD instead of PCM?
I believe they have said that they believe DSD256 offers the highest fidelity. But that isn’t a blanket statement in favor of DSD. Some listeners perceive of issues with DSD64.

And we’re way off topic.

Ever wonder why MFSL captures tape in high rate DSD instead of PCM?
They been doing that for over a decade. PCM dacs are a different breed today.

There is still a difference, but no longer is there an advantage. Using the best Dacs of today.

Dsd is a bit softer on top. Still don’t care for it in a vinyl chain.

There is still a difference, but no longer is there an advantage. Using the best Dacs of today.
I would say that’s true even with many more affordable DACs of today.

They been doing that for over a decade. PCM dacs are a different breed today.

Dsd is a bit softer on top. Still don’t care for it in a vinyl chain.

I have to politely disagree here. DSD is not soft on top. It’s very natural sounding. Too many good recordings I’ve been involved in (including several listening sessions the old Super Audio center) to feel different. ADCs are an equally important factor, in fact more so as if that isn’t right, the DAC won’t matter.

That seems to be the result of the choice you made to not believe that some audio systems can be so resolving that some observers can perceive of improved fidelity by taking steps to reduce the noise passed into our system by our networks.

One would think that they would try to engineer noise rejection or remove the possibility of it occurring. But other things come in mind in these terms like cabling. CCA cable is a low end rip off in the computer industry and in my opinion should be removed from the market. Nicely shielded all copper Ethernet cable seems the way to go for everything as any noise even effects computer networking and internet performance. I would evaluate the construction of the network first before applying something such as a high end switch because the performance, although is better than what it was, might be even improved significantly if the wires were of better quality to begin with.

There is a new one. A person who doesn't think a switch is a good answer but cables are the solution. :)

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
CCA cable is a low end rip off in the computer industry and in my opinion should be removed from the market.
Honest question: what else do you personally deem as a "rip-off" and think should be banned by the government under penalty?

High end switches? Other products you don't think perform well enough in the audio world?

Thanks for all the technical info; you clearly know what you're talking about in a professional capacity. Much of it went over my head, not because I didn't understand it but I struggled to relate it to the topic under discussion = low RFI noise streamed music reproduction,.

What is your hifi system in general - speakers, amp, etc - and what streamer are you using specifically? What sort(s) of music do you listen to mainly?
Somethings I wonder if others payed attention to what wires they use, even though I went to a different methodology of network audio. I do find it interesting how Dante works differently than tcp/ip streaming because there is no middle man device performing network traffic arbitration. The audio doesn't run in a tcp/ip packet so it never have to arbritate connections in a network with a router or IP/MAC address table in a VLAN which can induce jitter people associate as noise. That is why a switch or a router with more powerful processing corrects quality issues with TCP/IP streaming.

I know I haven't spent the time filling out my profile. I built my own streaming server from a repurposed PC computer. I noticed there has been a few fan-less and compact servers I've been thinking about switching to since it shouldn't have to consume a lot of electricity day in and out.

I listen to all kinds of music depending on how I feel at the moment. Currently I'm listening to Buddy Guy but earlier I was listening to Thievery Corporation.

Reactions: NigelB
Honest question: what else do you personally deem as a "rip-off" and think should be banned by the government under penalty?

High end switches? Other products you don't think perform well enough in the audio world?
Nothing really comes in mind except copper clad aluminum wire, because I never seen it really reliably serve its task and everyone that has consulted me about their networking issues has always been associated with that wire.

However certain things like RCA Jacks and unbalanced line should be left in the past because there is other and better ways to interconnect equipment and not have noise being added to the system. Because for every RCA interconnect, it adds the power supply noise of the unit into the audio.

Somethings I wonder if others payed attention to what wires they use, even though I went to a different methodology of network audio. I do find it interesting how Dante works differently than tcp/ip streaming because there is no middle man device performing network traffic arbitration. The audio doesn't run in a tcp/ip packet so it never have to arbitrate connections in a network with a router or IP/MAC address table in a VLAN which can induce jitter people associate as noise. That is why a switch or a router with more powerful processing corrects quality issues with TCP/IP streaming.

I know I haven't spent the time filling out my profile. I built my own streaming server from a repurposed PC computer. I noticed there has been a few fan-less and compact servers I've been thinking about switching to since it shouldn't have to consume a lot of electricity day in and out.

I listen to all kinds of music depending on how I feel at the moment. Currently I'm listening to Buddy Guy but earlier I was listening to Thievery Corporation.
Completely dodged the question.

Reactions: NigelB and Synaxis
There is a new one. A person who doesn't think a switch is a good answer but cables are the solution. :)
I never said that its a good or bad answer to the problem. But people should evaluate their network install before arbitrarily making an investment they might not be totally satisfied with. After all, if you have a rat's nest of wire bunched up somewhere in the run, it most likely can cause issues. But I noticed a lot of store bought routers (although it seems they are making them better) can't perform the traffic flow operation fast enough. That is why a managed switch with VLAN solves this by offloading the task to the switch. When I had a TCP/IP streaming setup I went to a gateway server style router and it was able to run TCP/IP streaming without issues. I also noticed it made surfing and downloads much faster too. Later, I found out about Dante audio and found a better way entirely instead of using TCP/IP streaming.

One would think that they would try to engineer noise rejection or remove the possibility of it occurring. But other things come in mind in these terms like cabling. CCA cable is a low end rip off in the computer industry and in my opinion should be removed from the market. Nicely shielded all copper Ethernet cable seems the way to go for everything as any noise even effects computer networking and internet performance. I would evaluate the construction of the network first before applying something such as a high end switch because the performance, although is better than what it was, might be even improved significantly if the wires were of better quality to begin with.

Completely dodged the question.

Dodged my argument too. At this point I think the best advice is that we should all stop feeding the troll.

Dodged my argument too. At this point I think the best advice is that we should all stop feeding the troll.
I already hit the Ignore button.

Which sonic attributes do you prefer and what kind of audio components, in your system/journey, best suited these sonic tastes, regardless of analog or digital rig?
Completely ignored also this question.

Looks like some kind of (gear/sonic/listening) arguments aren’t even noticed while technical aspects of the computing/network are like the daily bread here.

I guess some husband’s music producer friends already said this…

Issues is a key word. Sonic issues? Nah!

Back to topic or even better to the original Dante’s Divine Comedy, “Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate“ and “non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa”

Agree with Mike DSD has always been a bit soft and less resolving compared to PCM. The better your system the easier to hear this.

No, that’s not true at all. If you are not getting great resolution with DSD, your system has issues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu