Best audiophile switch

You can cook by scrupulously following a recipe (precise temperature and cooking times) and selecting ingredients based on the label (specs). Yes, you can nourish your body perfectly this way. But to nourish your soul, you need taste, that comes also from direct experience, imagination, passion for food and the desire to share that pleasure with others. Said by an Italian!

A switch can be a pinch of salt, so to speak. QB (quantum sufficit or to taste) is the measure!
Wow handsome, you sound like one of my husband's music producer friends he has over sometimes. To quote my husband, "I thought way out of the box when I created the home music server network".

I don't know what you mean, but valve amplifiers and then go balanced, then we're off track! unfortunately, this is not the right thread...
I wanted to give you the total picture instead of the separate parts because: "The whole is greater than the sum of its pieces" Plus tell a little about myself and my background.

I wanted to give you the total picture instead of the separate parts because: "The whole is greater than the sum of its pieces" Plus tell a little about myself and my background.
coming back to the post, Dante, Ravenna and other professional protocols I don't see how they cannot be afflicted by the same problems as our tcp/ip, after all, we are always talking about voltage thresholds and copper cables, more or less audiophile!? we're probably missing something... from my modest experience, then, when listening, everything sounds with the same problems, and always the usual countermeasures will be taken, (more or less)...

Reactions: NigelB and Superdad
Dante Network
coming back to the post, Dante, Ravenna and other professional protocols I don't see how they cannot be afflicted by the same problems as our tcp/ip, after all, we are always talking about voltage thresholds and copper cables, more or less audiophile!? we're probably missing something... from my modest experience, then, when listening, everything sounds with the same problems, and always the usual countermeasures will be taken, (more or less)...
Dante Network is nothing new. It was all the rage during my Head-Fi days about a decade ago.

Let's just say folks eventually moved on after it didn't cure all ills based on listening not measurements. Many were using the RedNet system so I'm not sure how close that is to what @sparkie is proposing. I could share a head-fi thread but I'm not sure if that's allowed. Folks eventually moved on to the likes of the etherRegen/linear power supplies, etc.

Maybe opening a separate thread and discussing the pros and cons via a vis switches will be in order.

I have been studying the standard methods of how Dante is deployed on the hardware level because my next tube hobby project is a direct connection from Dante. On the circuit level, they deploy two levels of RFI filtering and isolation as the standard. But I think the redundant network actually does error correction besides being a fallback in communications and the audio is not packaged the same way as the TCP/ip streaming.

Now back to our original topic, I am going to give the Silent Angel BONN8 a spin in my system as one of my friends is lending me his unit while he in the PRC for the next 2 months.

Wow handsome, you sound like one of my husband's music producer friends he has over sometimes. To quote my husband, "I thought way out of the box when I created the home music server network".
To quote (the original) Dante:

Contra miglior voler voler mal pugna;
onde contra ’l piacer mio, per piacerli,
trassi de l’acqua non sazia la spugna.

Reactions: Synaxis
Now back to our original topic, I am going to give the Silent Angel BONN8 a spin in my system as one of my friends is lending me his unit while he in the PRC for the next 2 months.
Let us know how you like it!

Wow handsome, you sound like one of my husband's music producer friends he has over sometimes.

Why are you reverting to personal attacks?

EXACTLY like I predicted about the I.T. crowd when they can't co-exist with people of different opinions - total intolerance.

It's sad to see people are incapable of respecting others differing opinions.

EXACTLY like I predicted about the I.T. crowd when they can't co-exist with people of different opinions - total intolerance.

the hobby is niche. physically bringing to someone to get them to experience, then to believe is hard.

I shared with my mates that my OCXO switch installed at upstream didn't just improve the music, the visuals when streaming videos too! lol (tho dependent on the Ethernet cable I used)

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Thank you. But your post literally just proved my point about being an I.T. type. Again - that is not an insult nor a negative. It's a mindset that is incompatible with a very subjective hobby with those who trust their ears and not their eyes.
I honestly think it has more to do with humility. Once one thinks they have it all figured out, there is no room left for learning or discovery. I agree though that it does seem to be the IT types who have closed themselves off to further learning on this topic. It’s only a subset of them though. It’s just that those most likely to take a thread like this off topic tend to be the ones not open to learning more.

I honestly think it has more to do with humility. Once one thinks they have it all figured out, there is no room left for learning or discovery. I agree though that it does seem to be the IT types who have closed themselves off to further learning on this topic. It’s only a subset of them though. It’s just that those most likely to take a thread like this off topic tend to be the ones not open to learning more.
it's like when ASR gents venture here trying to 'fix' us. they occupy a separate universe where the rules of what constitutes worthwhile musical experience are different. a separate hobby. legitimately appropriate for them. as is ours. we see movies where moving from one dimension/universe to another is represented. the plot is always a real mess.

best to just ignore.

I never resulted in personal attacks. That came out of your head. I think streaming technology is a little bit outdated and requires high performance switches and router to maintain a low jitter connection. Much less is susceptible to picking up noise and integrating it in the audio. I wanted to share what I came up with that bypasses what is wrong with TCP/IP streaming that it can't solve for itself since that technology is now over 3 decades old.

I had it. It’s good. But you can find many better ones.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
I had it. It’s good. But you can find many better ones.
Thanks, just auditioning. As I convert to Fiber I am not expecting much.

As I see it, audiophiles are happy with noise. In fact, the more the better. That's why they love DSD.

I've developed a technique that removes dither noise from CD audio that I've presented in four audio forums. The reaction, here on WBF and another forum is (crickets). On the other two, hostility. "You can't do that!"

OK, I can't do that (but I do). I have nothing to gain by arguing with them. As my pappy told me, "You can't win arguing with a fool."
If you missed it: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/uds-removes-cd-dither-noise.39016

NB. The method will not work with a delta-sigma DAC. It's counter-productive to remove dither noise and then add even more noise with a delta-sigma modulator. "But, but, D-S noise is inaudible!" That's what they say about dither noise and digital network noise.

That's not why we love DSD. We love DSD because it is in our opinion the digital format that sounds most natural. In my live to two track recordings we split the mic feed to PCM and DSD ADCs. The DSD file always sounds more like the live event.

Reactions: jasond
I wanted to share what I came up with that bypasses what is wrong with TCP/IP streaming that it can't solve for itself since that technology is now over 3 decades old.
The difference should be obvious: ears are being relied upon to tell us about the fidelity of the digital to analog conversion. And what some of our ears have been telling us is that reducing noise from our networks had resulted in higher fidelity.

Noise travels along layer 1, the physical layer. Everything occurring at the levels above this (like TCP/IP) operates as it should.

I really don't understand why some have issues.
That seems to be the result of the choice you made to not believe that some audio systems can be so resolving that some observers can perceive of improved fidelity by taking steps to reduce the noise passed into our system by our networks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu