Best audiophile switch

coming back to the post, Dante, Ravenna and other professional protocols I don't see how they cannot be afflicted by the same problems as our tcp/ip, after all, we are always talking about voltage thresholds and copper cables, more or less audiophile!? we're probably missing something... from my modest experience, then, when listening, everything sounds with the same problems, and always the usual countermeasures will be taken, (more or less)...
Because it not TCP/IP so it is not forced to communicate with a router or VLAN controller for the destination. So its timing is not effected by network hardware.

The difference should be obvious: ears are being relied upon to tell us about the fidelity of the digital to analog conversion. And what some of our ears have been telling us is that reducing noise from our networks had resulted in higher fidelity.
It may or may not be noise, but the inability to deliver the bandwidth, that gives the appearance of noise. If you don't have an analyzer to see the noise, then it could be either and a managed switch or gateway server (instead of the store bought router) would fix it. Because a switch doesn't fix noise issue on the cable.

I currently have a Cisco Meraki Go GS110-8 switch in my setup - no audiophile switch.

IEEE802.3 (the Ethernet spec) has very specific requirements for isolation as well as resistance to current and voltage spikes. This is all to maintain performance in variable EMI and RFI scenarios as well as for electrical safety. In order for something to be called Ethernet it has to follow these specs.

where do a audiophile switch add value then?

Torben

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
I currently have a Cisco Meraki Go GS110-8 switch in my setup - no audiophile switch.

IEEE802.3 (the Ethernet spec) has very specific requirements for isolation as well as resistance to current and voltage spikes. This is all to maintain performance in variable EMI and RFI scenarios as well as for electrical safety. In order for something to be called Ethernet it has to follow these specs.

where do a audiophile switch add value then?

Torben

The real question is why I should even share what I have.
Because this sounds like a troll post to me.

A little off topic perhaps, but this is what I use, and it offers an interesting alternative to chasing down noise upstream from the DAC:

From experience, having played with network switches (and heard a number of demos), there can be benefits but results are not consistent, which is easily explained by the fact that noise has multiple causes and ways of infiltrating a DAC. All our systems are unique when it comes to noise...

In that sense, there may not be a "best switch" that will have the same results for everyone (which is back on topic).

Last edited:
Reactions: PYP
Honest question: what else do you personally deem as a "rip-off" and think should be banned by the government under penalty?

High end switches? Other products you don't think perform well enough in the audio world?
Audiophile behind bars.png

The real question is why I should even share what I have.
Because this sounds like a troll post to me.
Because we've learned over the years the people who come into these forums with the loudest "know it all" voices and condescending attitudes with their attempts to "set us all straight" are the ones who are usually the most deaf with the most low end system.

They are they people who say they tried XXX gear "and XXX doesn't matter", and then when we finally see what they own Cerwin Vega's pushed up against the walls in a corner with a 1984 Onkyo Cassette Deck and a 1987 Sony receiver as their main system. They are also the people who think products they don't agree with should be banned because after all, they are the know-it-all and want to be our masters because they are smarter than us.

To be honest, if you're going to come onto a forum with the intent to show off how much smarter than us you are and lecturing people about how you are right and they are wrong, what you own as a system is VERY relevant.

People have shown you respect and tried to have real conversations with you and you have no interest in that. Time for me to hit the BLOCK button and remove your incessant whining. If you don't give the mosquito the blood to suck, it will eventually wither away to nothing.

WBF: I'm sorry for the tone of the post. You know I usually ignore the forum trolls, but I haven't had my iced coffee yet this morning so all bets are off as Sparkle clearly has come on with an agenda to fulfill his lonely ego by getting as much negative attention as he can on this forum.

Last edited:
In that sense, there may not be a "best switch" that will have the same results for everyone (which is back on topic).
Sometimes a poor or overloaded router will not give the network a high enough sustained transfer rate for the packets and therefore can not deliver it in time and the receiving end drops the packet. This sound is more like cd skipping but sometimes its fuzzy static sounds.

Cabling sometimes can be an issue if runs are too long for the category used or if there is kinks in the wire or twisted and bunched up. Here is a wire chart explaining runs, speeds, and acceptable lengths for them:
Screenshot_2024-08-21_06-48-37.jpg
So sometimes a switch is not the problem and a nice running network starts with the router.
Now these days, someone could either build up a router from a PC, or buy embedded servers that will serve the task. Also, you can configure them as high performance switches. The router's OS I like to use these days is PFsense which is the same Linux programs I used when these router OS did not exist.
This is my next router to replace my aging router that I built from a PC, a Supermicro SYS-E302-12D-8C. Which I have been thinking off and on to use also as a music server:
SYS-E302-12D-8C_callout_rear.JPG

Sometimes a poor or overloaded router will not give the network a high enough sustained transfer rate for the packets and therefore can not deliver it in time and the receiving end drops the packet. This sound is more like cd skipping but sometimes its fuzzy static sounds.

Cabling sometimes can be an issue if runs are too long for the category used or if there is kinks in the wire or twisted and bunched up. Here is a wire chart explaining runs, speeds, and acceptable lengths for them:
View attachment 135216
So sometimes a switch is not the problem and a nice running network starts with the router.
Now these days, someone could either build up a router from a PC, or buy embedded servers that will serve the task. Also, you can configure them as high performance switches. The router's OS I like to use these days is PFsense which is the same Linux programs I used when these router OS did not exist.
This is my next router to replace my aging router that I built from a PC, a Supermicro SYS-E302-12D-8C. Which I have been thinking off and on to use also as a music server:
SYS-E302-12D-8C_callout_rear.JPG
Your reply perfectly illustrates my point :)

Reactions: NigelB
Because we've learned over the years the people who come into these forums with the loudest "know it all" voices and condescending attitudes with their attempts to "set us all straight" are the ones who are usually the most deaf with the most low end system.

Beacause you are a real *Veteran* of this forum that you consider you may speak for the rest of us ? … Oh … It would appear Not !

Now back to our original topic, I am going to give the Silent Angel BONN8 a spin in my system as one of my friends is lending me his unit while he in the PRC for the next 2 months.
Try it with a linear power supply if you can. The supplied wall wart does not do it justice at all.
PS The Bonn N8 is not competitive with the EtherRegen, and both are a similar price point.

Beacause you are a real *Veteran* of this forum that you consider you may speak for the rest of us ? … Oh … It would appear Not !

LOL. The collective "we" is for the normal people on ANY hifi forum who have learned to spot the emotionally needy trolls a mile a way.

Somethings I wonder if others payed attention to what wires they use, even though I went to a different methodology of network audio. I do find it interesting how Dante works differently than tcp/ip streaming because there is no middle man device performing network traffic arbitration. The audio doesn't run in a tcp/ip packet so it never have to arbritate connections in a network with a router or IP/MAC address table in a VLAN which can induce jitter people associate as noise. That is why a switch or a router with more powerful processing corrects quality issues with TCP/IP streaming.

I know I haven't spent the time filling out my profile. I built my own streaming server from a repurposed PC computer. I noticed there has been a few fan-less and compact servers I've been thinking about switching to since it shouldn't have to consume a lot of electricity day in and out.

I listen to all kinds of music depending on how I feel at the moment. Currently I'm listening to Buddy Guy but earlier I was listening to Thievery Corporation.
Thanks for sharing about your streaming device and your musical tastes: could you also share what your DAC, amplifier(s?) and speakers are? I’m just trying to get a feel for what your Dante network and DIY streamer feed into to turn data into music. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu