Best audiophile switch

Judging about the overall performance or improvements has a lot to do with experience of listening to many many systems (like the yearly High-End in Munich is an excellent place showcasing numerous benchmark systems from all over the world) as well as listening to real, live music concerts.
From what I understand @kennyb123 is someone with experience and knows what to look for.
I appreciate your kind words. I’ve been very fortunate to have friends locally with great ears and great systems. I had only just met @keithc but it didn’t take long to conclude that he has a great set of ears and he can express well what he observed. Same goes for @jeremya who has been over many times. We discussed our findings occasionally after listening and sometimes replayed a track so we could zoom in to confirm an observation. Having done this many times over the years in front of different and evolving systems definitely helps.

Any chance you will include photos of the inside of the Tempus?
It is nice when manufacturers actually show their work. Especially at such price levels. :)

No, I won't be including any. I believe in deferring to each manufacturer to divulge such information if they deem appropriate, regardless of component/accessory, and it's not my place as an end-consumer to evaluate electrical designs. I have also learned that I'm an even poorer judge of sonic results just by looking at circuitry than I am at picking stocks...

Any chance you will include photos of the inside of the Tempus?
It is nice when manufacturers actually show their work. Especially at such price levels. :)
No-one on this forum would be able to accurately predict sonic performance from a view of the circuitry. They might of course think they can (!) but it’s best to listen with ears open and case closed, as intended by the manufacturer.

You may of course be one of those guys who goes to a car/automobile showroom, asks to look under the bonnet/hood and gets his credit card out on that basis… but most of us would decide based on the price/performance demonstrated by a test drive. :)

… but most of us would decide based on the price/performance demonstrated by a test drive. :)
Test drives are the best drives. :D

Frequency range…
Seriously? Ethernet cables transport packets of data, they don’t transport signals in the way speaker cables and interconnects do. Cat 5/6/7/8 are all the same in this data transport regard or the internet wouldn’t work and the speeds/bandwidths of all of these are way more than is required for audio; the differences in technical performance (speed/bandwidth) arise from shielding of twisted pairs and overall and it’s the shielding which of most relevance for audio purposes. If you like, we’re more interested in a side effect of the higher speeds than the higher speeds themselves.

No-one on this forum would be able to accurately predict sonic performance from a view of the circuitry.
A select few might be able to predict some aspects. Often though, those who seek this information are looking to allow their bias to inform their prediction. “It includes the x board so it must sound like other products that include the x board” is what their argument often boils down to. Occasionally this happens to be the case but not always. Parts selection matters for sure, but often how those parts are implemented can matter even more. That’s why it’s essential that we let our ears and not our biases decide.

A select few might be able to predict some aspects. Often though, those who seek this information are looking to allow their bias to inform their prediction. “It includes the x board so it must sound like other products that include the x board” is what their argument often boils down to. Occasionally this happens to be the case but not always. Parts selection matters for sure, but often how those parts are implemented can matter even more. That’s why it’s essential that we let our ears and not our biases decide.
100%.

Seriously? Ethernet cables transport packets of data, they don’t transport signals in the way speaker cables and interconnects do. Cat 5/6/7/8 are all the same in this data transport regard or the internet wouldn’t work and the speeds/bandwidths of all of these are way more than is required for audio; the differences in technical performance (speed/bandwidth) arise from shielding of twisted pairs and overall and it’s the shielding which of most relevance for audio purposes. If you like, we’re more interested in a side effect of the higher speeds than the higher speeds themselves.
So I guess you should rethink your profession.
up to 40 Gbps for a max distance of 30 meters, while Cat 7 offers a speed of 40 Gbps for a distance of up to 10 meters. When it comes to frequency, we have a clear winner. Cat 8 cables work at a higher frequency of 2000MHz, or 2GHZ

Frequency range…
I think what you are pointing to here is that Cat7 cable offers performance up to 600 MHz, whereas Cat8 offers up to 2000 MHz. I think referring to this as a “range” or frequency range” can be confusing without further context being provided as you just did in post #111.

Reactions: NigelB
I think what you are pointing to here is that Cat7 cable offers performance up to 600 MHz, whereas Cat8 offers up to 2000 MHz. I think referring to this as a “range” or frequency range” can be confusing without further context being provided as you just did in post #111.
Sure okay....would think you would know this if you are building and alleged top of the line audiophile ethernet switch...

Fundamentally, every opening in a switch case is an open door for RFI ingress, so the ideal switch will have no holes for LEDs to shine through, no ventilation holes, and no unused ports.
Now to admit my bias: I think Emile from Taiko may have one of the best grasps on what it takes to make a good audiophile switch. I have suspected that his switch’s thick and heavy chassis makes an important contribution to reducing noise and that it was unacceptable to him to use any less. As such I suspect you are spot on with what you said here.

I can’t tell from the photos whether his switch has LEDs.

So I guess you should rethink your profession.
Ouch! Let's not make this too personal, shall we? It's kind of you to be concerned but 40+ years in IT helps me to differentiate between what is and is not relevant in the field of interest to this thread: where ethernet meets audio. There are a good few people who inappropriately extrapolate stuff-which-is-true in the broader hifi space in general or in the digital bitstream space in particular to the ethernet domain where it is simply not eg. jitter which means something entirely different and is irrelevant to sound quality.
up to 40 Gbps for a max distance of 30 meters, while Cat 7 offers a speed of 40 Gbps for a distance of up to 10 meters. When it comes to frequency, we have a clear winner. Cat 8 cables work at a higher frequency of 2000MHz, or 2GHZ
Hardly! If audio signals needed anywhere near 40 Gbps (they don't) and if we happen to have assembled a system where we need to transmit data over more than 10 metres (we rarely do) then we just might get the odd data error; if we were in that completely non-real-world situation, the 7-layer OSI model which governs ethernet would ensure through error-checking and retransmission that our hifi streamer got the data it needed in the right order etc. Our hifi system wouldn't know, and our sound quality wouldn't suffer.

But we live in the real world where we don't even stress the capacity of say Cat 6 over much longer distances. It's not therefore a "win" by any definition of any relevance.

Sure okay....

Ouch! Let's not make this too personal, shall we? It's kind of you to be concerned but 40+ years in IT helps me to differentiate between what is and is not relevant in the field of interest to this thread: where ethernet meets audio. There are a good few people who inappropriately extrapolate stuff-which-is-true in the broader hifi space in general or in the digital bitstream space in particular to the ethernet domain where it is simply not eg. jitter which means something entirely different and is irrelevant to sound quality.

Hardly! If audio signals needed anywhere near 40 Gbps (they don't) and if we happen to have assembled a system where we need to transmit data over more than 10 metres (we rarely do) then we just might get the odd data error; if we were in that completely non-real-world situation, the 7-layer OSI model which governs ethernet would ensure through error-checking and retransmission that our hifi streamer got the data it needed in the right order etc. Our hifi system wouldn't know, and our sound quality wouldn't suffer.

But we live in the real world where we don't even stress the capacity of say Cat 6 over much longer distances. It's not therefore a "win" by any definition of any relevance.
Sure okay... 40 years and you had no idea about frequency range... okay ...

...no on/off LED w/Taiko switch. You have to get up close and peer into the connectors to see if it's on, should you have a doubt/troubleshooting, etc. And it is a heavy bugger. Copper chassis.
Exactly why we shouldn’t leap to conclusions based on what we think the circuit board might be. Some thought that @NigelB was being evasive in his response because he had something to hide. I thought he was simply trying to turn attention away from that so focus would be directed towards things that matter just as much or even more. It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to direct focus towards what differentiates their product.

I appreciate your kind words. I’ve been very fortunate to have friends locally with great ears and great systems. I had only just met @keithc but it didn’t take long to conclude that he has a great set of ears and he can express well what he observed. Same goes for @jeremya who has been over many times. We discussed our findings occasionally after listening and sometimes replayed a track so we could zoom in to confirm an observation. Having done this many times over the years in front of different and evolving systems definitely helps.
Thank you so much for having us over, Ken! It's always a good time, and I always learn something.

Meeting @keithc was great. In fact, afterwards, we were able to connect some dots, realizing that we'd exchanged DMs / SMS messages before on another topic and I don't think either of connected the dots with our usernames. Always fun when your online friends become real-life friends and instead of shattering your impressions, it just goes to reinforce and deepen them. (That's how I feel, anyway. I certainly hope I didn't dash any of Keith's warm impressions of me :p. Hah!).

One thing I have always appreciated about Ken's system across its many evolutions (a handful of which I've been privy to) is that his focus on timing and precision makes it an excellent lens to experience music through. When you plug something new into his system, it's very 'what you hear is what you get' -- not that it's perfect (no system is), but that the relative strengths of whatever gear or cabling you insert are evident in some form. In other words, it doesn't take effort to hear a difference when there's a difference to be heard.

Tweaking things...

One thing that was perhaps the most surprising to me pertains to the UEF Network Enhancers my Synergistic dealer included in the Enternet Switch UEF package I purchased. Thus far, I have blindly always plugged them into empty sockets in the UEF switch and generally had a very positive impression of the difference the whole package (UEF Switch + Network Enhancers + Foundation 12 cable) made in my system relative to the UpTone etherREGEN + Farad super3 + Mytek REF10 SE120 + Sigma V2 Clock cable combo I had in my system for many moons. (Ken uses an Alpha v1 clock cable).

1719776432405.png

I expected these plugs to do some serious good. And perhaps in some systems they do. Maybe even in mine (I'm now convinced I need to re-evaluate them). However, we quickly discovered that in Ken's system they actually added to the thickness of the veil when inserted into the SR switch. (We didn't try them in any other switch; we had so many variables we made the decision to quickly pare things down to focus on just one ethernet cable and to try and use a consistent power cord across the line (and, yes, this didn't favor the PhoenixNET at all because of its internal high-precision clock)).

Ken had borrowed these plugs from me before and he didn't find that they made any tangible difference in the etherREGEN. Certainly not a $300/ea difference. (Two of them cost almost as much as the original eR!). At the time we figured that maybe they make a better benefit in Ted Denney's own kit and are less helpful in others. During our comparison yesterday, we wondered if two might be too many? Maybe it needs just one. It's not lost on me that SR's own product page shows two of them being used, so they clearly imply some benefit to multiplying them...

1719783969010.png

Tweaking out...

Unfortunately for these little guys (and for my curiosity), the day wasn't about evaluating ethernet tweaks, it was about ethernet switches. So, we kept the main thing the main thing and moved onto A|B|C|D testing the switches we had in the roundup without the Enhancer plugs installed. That said, I'm going to be taking a more earnest listen to them in my system shortly -- especially now that the addition of a finite elemente pagode signature (1st gen) rack @Mike Lavigne graciously parted with (and the subsequent re-wiring of all the things). These have taken my system to an entirely new dimension and I'm still getting acquainted with it. Might as well see if these UEF Performance Enhancers really do enhance things in my room, or if they have more of a suppressive effect as we witnessed in Ken's.

Switching back to switches...

It was pleasing to me (hello, bias) that my ~$2300 Synergistic Enternet Switch UEF, when powered with its own Foundation SX 12 power cord, delivered to my ears ~85% of what the ~$4200 Network Acoustics Tempus switch did when it was powered with a Synergistic Venom cable.

But that last ~15% is the difference between "this sounds good" and "this sounds real". And it's the 15% we audiophiles chase incessantly. It almost always lives on the "other end" of the price/performance curve, after the knee, climbing that asymptote to the sky where exponentially more money is required to realize each little step along the path of sonic bliss...

One thing that isn't lost on me is the relative cost of realizing these gains. The base etherREGEN was $680. The Farad super3 another $600. The Mutek is $5500. A Sigma v2 Clock cable ($2450) or an Alpha Clock cable at ~$1600. That's an astounding $8,380 (w/ Alpha) to $9,230 (w/ Sigma) for a souped up eR at list prices.

I can hear you protesting already: the Mutec REF10 SE120 has 8 outputs, so we should consider slicing its price by the number of components driven and only ascribing that amortized price when reckoning the total cost of ownership, right? Personally, I think that would be unfair to it, as it provides the same performance lift to every component it touches in parallel. So, reckoning the full price into consideration for every component it touches feels more right to me.

That said, I would (subjectively) rank the performance relatively this way:

4.5 - Network Acoustics Tempus Switch ($4200) + SR Foundation SX 12 Power Cord ($600) + Denali S/6000 v1 ($3,995)
4.0 - Network Acoustics Tempus Switch ($4200) + Venom Power Cord (~$300) [isolated circuit]

3.8 - Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF ($2300) + SR Foundation SX 12 Power Cord (included w/ switch) + Denali S/6000 v1 ($3,995)
3.5 - Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF ($2300) + Venom Power Cord (~$300) [isolated circuit]

3.0 - UpTone etherREGEN + Farad + Mytek + Alpha v1 Clock cable (~$8,380) + Denali S/6000 v1 ($3,995)
1.0 - UpTone etherREGEN ($680) [baseline]

(I'm not including the Innuos PhoenixNET in my ranking because it wasn't given the proper settling time for its clock (24h). We listened to it around the 1.5 to 2 hour mark into our session, which hardly painted it in its best light).

Final thoughts....

What we only tried once -- and was pretty surprising -- was how good the 6m QSA-Lanedri Gamma Infinity Ethernet cable (~$6000) sounded without any switch at all. At the end of our session we ran it directly into the Antipodes K50 and while it didn't have the ease and clarity imparted by adding Tempus into the mix, it was still pretty eye opening. We all agreed that there was clearly more noise there and perhaps the most vital function of the switches was to filter out the noise. The degree to which they filter it out, and the adeptness with which they refrain from imparting their own, seems to be the characteristic difference between each of the boxes we tested. They all have their charms.

Keith remarked that the Tempus seems very sensitive to power delivery. We all bore witness to this in that it sounded great with a ~$300 Shunyata power cord and even better with a $600 Synergistic power cord. I suspect it will scale even further and faster when a superlative cord (such as a higher grade Shunyata or QSA Lanedri cord) is applied. It sports a user-serviceable fuse box, so upgrading the stock fuse would be a logical step as well. I'd probably slam a SR Pink fuse in there and see where that takes it, should I find myself in possession of one.

I'll land this plane by saying that I, like Ken, was very happy with my 'hot rodded' etherREGEN combo but for two things. First, it only supports 100Mbit, but with the May DAC, my music files are (rediculously) bigger all the time (thanks, PGGB!). Having a switch that supports Gigabit ethernet (or better) would be a huge boon when I want to stage files for playback on my music server / streamer. Second, I have been growing tired of tip-toeing around all the "cable spaghetti". Outboard clocks need power cords and clock cables and of their own, each with added cost, and none of it trivial (at least not on my budget).

"Trimming the fat" meant I could recoup much of my investment and put that money into upgrades that don't need or want external clocks to sound their best. That's what I wound up doing, and I find I'm happier for it. It doesn't mean, however, that I'm immune to craving the next best thing.

The Tempus is clearly a stellar product and priced well relative to its performance.

The questions that remain for me are:
a) how well will it hold to the Taiko Switch (which is SFP+ only, has only 2 ports, making it more of an inline filter and less of an actual switch)?
b) how long can I resist the temptation to trade up to one? :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing