scotland

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone suggested the Sheffield Drum record?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
OK. I tried about half the tracks and tolerated less than a minute each. Just not interesting.
RU arrogant or what??
U R old and tired so who cares what your opinion is ????

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
really the most difficult thing for a system to do in the bass is a really 'hot' recorded double bass. like the Jeton 100 3315 direct to disc pressing of Moonlight Serenade; track 1, Mondscheinsonata (Round Midnight/Moonlight Serenade), Ray Brown/Laurindo Almeida.

getting the double bass to come alive in your room is a real treat. getting great coherent lively mid-bass is much more relevant to music than deep bass. and if you play this as you continue to improve your system it will tell you how you are doing so far.

the re-issue pressing (a tape was made from the pressing and then a vinyl pressing from that) or digital is not the same. you need the original direct to disc version.
Mike I've heard the terms Double Bass and upright bass; seemingly interchangeably. Are they the same instrument?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
RU arrogant or what??
U R old and tired so who cares what your opinion is ????
Because someone urged me to try it and I wanted to acknowledge that I did as well as what I found.
I didn't ask you to care about my opinion any more than I care about yours.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Here are a couple of my favorites for subterranean bass beats and swirling undercurrents, including playback on my reference system, to try at your own risk:

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
For a serious workout and demo of deep bass i always put on “Deeper Well”
from Emmylou Harris’s live Spyboy album. Building intensity of bass guitar and
drums ( played by great musicians) is just phenomenal. If your system can handle it :eek: Regretfully not issued on vinyl yet.

View attachment 63129
Most excellent, what an awesome thread!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A bit of electronica and pop comes to mind. Although I'm not sure this can really compete with an actual organ in the deepest bass registers...

The Acid: 'Creeper' from the album 'Liminal'

View attachment 63092

Tony Allen & Jeff-Mills: 'On The Run' from the album 'Tomorrow Comes the Harvest'

View attachment 63093

Philip Greter: 'Urban' from his album 'Logic Chaos'

View attachment 63094

James Blake: 'Overgrown', title track from the album

View attachment 63095
Does the 10" vinyl of tony allen/jeff mills convey as well as the digital? I'm almost vinyl-only and I love both artists!

As an aside (in techno territory which often is not actually deep bass heavy) it could be worth listening to some of the Dean Decosta tracks from late 90/ early 00 on Mosaic etc. Minimal but with nice bass weight....

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

But not via YouTube--get hold of the original track--cool baseline :cool:

IMHO

BruceD
This is on my homemade demo album.

Reactions: BruceD

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Thanks guys, I have a few of the recommendations.

I'll add Yello, Toy and Best Of to this thread.

Now What about heavy percussive tracks? Well recorded and explosive kick and Asian drum albums?
Now looking for a combination of epic -40hz bass combined with ultra fast rise times.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing