best cost no object, cables

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I agree in some cases.

I've personally witnessed cables makes massive differences in many systems. Because today's speakers and electronics are so much better than they used to be it makes cables and AC power quality even more important as you can hear the distortions and artifacts much more clearly.

I remember when a certain duo of audio companies challenged people at audio shows to bring their cables and see if it makes a difference in their show system. It really didn't make a difference because the speakers and electronics colored the sound so badly and the system was a massive POS to begin with, so much so you'd be better off going to best buy and picking out a nice bluetooth system. Of course cables don't make a difference when everything else is extremely colored.

These days we have just the opposite with the best speakers and electronics. You can exchange today's best DACs with one another and hear small differences. Because cables vary more than today's top-end electronics and sometimes even speakers, they can have outsized effects.
Respectfully I didn’t say they don’t make a difference. I was replying to the guy who refuted my belief that the amp is the most important component and used a weird remark to make his point.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That was in the period 2003 -2007 when i did my experimentation after that i never bought an expensive cable again .
I have listened to very expensive set ups since then , i never feel tempted

Wow, after about 15 years of cable sobriety you still need to come to WBF threads on expensive cables to reinforce your conviction in public?

Some days I feel tempted by cable skepticism and listen with several types of non expensive cables for some time - say a week. However when I switch back to my usual cables the system seems so much better and the music so more enjoyable that my skepticism fades for long ...

One nice think about Floyd Toole, a known cable skeptic, is that he wrote it once in three lines in one page in his famous book and never referred to it again in more than 500 pages!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Respectfully I didn’t say they don’t make a difference. I was replying to the ignoramus who refuted my belief that the amp is the most important component and used a stupid remark to make his point.

Ok, gotcha! I thought you said cables can make the most difference and I think this can actually be the case as described in my previous post. Amps are obviously a major part of a system and surely make a huge difference, I guess anything can if it's not a good fit with the system. But if something is a good fit I think we have so much choice in electronics and many of them are excellent so you don't get the same huge differences we saw a couple decades ago.

@twitch is ok though, despite our differences he has good taste in cars. :D I think we're all more similar than we think, writing on a forum like this is much less ideal vs being face to face.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Nope. The amp is by far the most important. It’s the heart of the system.
This was not the question....and which amp do you mean, pre, integrated power? What about source, speakers, room?
The synergy of a whole system is the key

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I've personally witnessed cables makes massive differences in many systems. Because today's speakers and electronics are so much better than they used to be it makes cables and AC power quality even more important as you can hear the distortions and artifacts much more clearly.

We could ask why so much better electronics are more sensitive to AC power cables. Technically we would expect that better designed power supplies would be less sensitive to mains noise.

I remember when a certain duo of audio companies challenged people at audio shows to bring their cables and see if it makes a difference in their show system. It really didn't make a difference because the speakers and electronics colored the sound so badly and the system was a massive POS to begin with, so much so you'd be better off going to best buy and picking out a nice bluetooth system. Of course cables don't make a difference when everything else is extremely colored.

Listening to cables in a show? Better doing it in a circus!

These days we have just the opposite with the best speakers and electronics. You can exchange today's best DACs with one another and hear small differences. Because cables vary more than today's top-end electronics and sometimes even speakers, they can have outsized effects.

Yes, but in general I found that the differences between speakers and electronics are easier to perceive and systematize than those between most cables. I need more time to listening to cables to get their sound signature than with other components.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Surely, if we do not have the money! The split of budget in a system should be balanced - however as I frequently can get very good deals in used cables, apparently my system becomes unbalanced.

However I would be very thankful if any of our members could point me a full set of cables sounding exactly like a Transparent Audio Opus gen 6 set costing one tenth of the price.
Well it is not said that an exepensive cable is better. I tried a lot. But it is also a matter of taste. One prefers speed others resolution. More upper bass or neutrality. So everyone should find cables which work best in his own system and this doesn´t have to be the most exensive even if you do have any budget

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Respectfully I didn’t say they don’t make a difference. I was replying to the guy who refuted my belief that the amp is the most important component and used a weird remark to make his point.
sorry but this guy isn´t me...i never replied to your posts before

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My dealer used to say expensive cables make a hell of a difference .
Only problem is when i bought one , 5 months later a new one came out and he said thats substantially better then the one you have now :confused:
I had the exact same experience with power conditioners. Heck, a friend visited his dealer and the dealer told him his 2 year old amps were junk. No mincing words. Told him they were junk and needed to be traded in to get the new upgraded version.

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
If the dealer was the source of those amps I would have looked squarely at the dealer (in person or virtually) and simply said "Why did you sell them to me?"

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
In my experience power cables (Hemingway Z-Core Beta, and Echole Omnia in my system for example) can make as big a difference as an amp or source change. And while more expensive doesn't always equal better, more money typically buys you better design/materials/construction/performance. The impact of speaker cable and interconnect upgrades in my experience is not as significant.

Last edited:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
In my experience power cables (Hemingway Z-Core Beta, and Echole Omnia in my system for example) can make as big a difference as an amp or source change. And while more expensive doesn't always equal better, more money typically buys you better design/materials/construction/performance. The impact of speaker cable and interconnect upgrades in my experience is not as significant.
Cableman says NOPE! A difference yes. As much as an amp? Nope just nope.

Reactions: Lagonda

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I use WyWires now, its top of the line Diamond models, on virtually all my cabling because I like the brand's modest warmth, in addition to all their other good qualities. A couple of months back, I finished the loom by replacing two of their Platinum model power cords with Diamonds on runs to ATC SCM40A actives. Surprise, same amps but warmth gone: lively, but tonally just on the other side of emotional draw ("neutral" doesn't work for me, big time). To get it back on my side, I found that replacing one rectifier tube out of eight tubes between dac and preamp made all the difference. That kind of experience is why I see it as all about system, with power cords in effect being components just like any other.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
This could go for literally any product.

Cars? You get upset when the new model year is better vs the previous one? But you had to have bought that car in the last year, right? Lol... :p

Speakers? How many times have Magico updated their line? Seems like at at least every other month. Same with Wilson, YG, etc, etc. etc... the new models are better than previous models.

DACs? It's too bad we aren't using the same DACs we were when CDs 1st came out I guess.

See a trend here?
There are several products I use that buck that trend. My TAD speakers, while there was a mkii and new version, the upgrades were cosmetic. My PS audio DS Dac is only being replaced after about 8 years, and mine was actually upgraded from their previous peRfectwave DAC, so I’ve had a really good run with it (not to mention the total free transformations via firmware) My atma-sphere gear is totally upgradable to latest spec as well as Sound-smith strain gauge. I really like companies that don’t have planned obsolescence as part of their business model.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Yes, while it took a few years to get there, I did the same with PS Audio’s dacs, moving through its hardware and then firmware upgrades, although for a bit shorter time than you. Same for some years with their power cords and regenerators as they expanded that line and my system expanded in need. Buying used or heavily discounted new very much limited the losses.

That experience, and just thinking about my goal with building a system, taught me to go with companies that aren’t turning over their lines every year or two, but rather focusing on getting the most of what I have, while allowing for updates of existing gear in whole or part in light of new developments. ATC, Supratek, Lampi, WyWires, and Purist Audio Design are examples of this (as was Oppo for a long time). That’s another reason why the search behind the title of this forum strikes me as opening one up to an endless search for a holy grail, rather to finding one’s own satisfaction.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
There are several products I use that buck that trend. My TAD speakers, while there was a mkii and new version, the upgrades were cosmetic. My PS audio DS Dac is only being replaced after about 8 years, and mine was actually upgraded from their previous peRfectwave DAC, so I’ve had a really good run with it (not to mention the total free transformations via firmware) My atma-sphere gear is totally upgradable to latest spec as well as Sound-smith strain gauge. I really like companies that don’t have planned obsolescence as part of their business model.

I agree somewhat... I understand the thought that that a good design should stand the test of time and it should, but only for it's time. One of the great things about humans and one of the only things that differentiates us from animals is our ability to improve things. For example bee hives are pretty amazing but they haven't changed in known history afaik. Humans improve what we know because we continuously learn and rather than lament it, it should be celebrated. However, it does suck to be the very last person to buy iPhone N when N+1 just came out... :)

When TAD R1s came out they were better than everything else by a large margin imo. Now I think YG and some other speakers have more than caught up. Same with Subaru and their STi, it was cool in '04 and it's a design that will stand the test of time but it sucks compared to a modern sports car right now in 2021. You can't rest on your laurels and think your great design is still going to be great in 10 or 20 years.

Reactions: marmota

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Fun car analogy. But sometimes it works the other way. In 2013 I bought a barely used 2010 911 just because I wanted a hatchback and the new improved auto transmission, which was the PDK. Turns out those cars are now highly sought after for a number of reasons including the pneumatic Steering (as opposed to the newer 911’s electronic steering) They also don’t make a hatchback any more, which will prove useful tomorrow when I have to drive my Strain Gauge system back to Sound-smith for updates and new styli. The car is worth more than I paid and while there is a bit of a bubble going on I can’t imagine I’ll loose money it. Even if a new speaker came along I really wanted (the upcoming PS audio could very well tempt me) I don’t think I could ever sell my CR1’s, as several people here seem to have sold TAD then bought them again.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Fun car analogy. But sometimes it works the other way. In 2013 I bought a barely used 2010 911 just because I wanted a hatchback and the new improved auto transmission, which was the PDK. Turns out those cars are now highly sought after for a number of reasons including the pneumatic Steering (as opposed to the newer 911’s electronic steering) They also don’t make a hatchback any more, which will prove useful tomorrow when I have to drive my Strain Gauge system back to Sound-smith for updates and new styli. The car is worth more than I paid and while there is a bit of a bubble going on I can’t imagine I’ll loose money it. Even if a new speaker came along I really wanted (the upcoming PS audio could very well tempt me) I don’t think I could ever sell my CR1’s, as several people here seem to have sold TAD then bought them again.

Over the long term it NEVER works the other way. You can cherry pick specific exceptions but denying that humans making progress and improvements over time is a good thing seems awfully bizarre to me. People that think STis or TAD R1s are still modern tech at the top of the game are both fooling themselves.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The new Fidelium Speaker Cables are revolutionary!
After reading this review I decided to give them a try.
www.thesoundadvocate.com/2020/06/silversmith-audio-fidelium-speaker-cables-first-review/
They are KILLER! An all time best buy.
My own review will appear in a few days.
I recently heard the Fidelum speaker cables in a WBF member's home connected to the highly revealing Tidal Audio Contrivan G2s where they sounded superb. Definitely recommended depending on your system and voicing preferences.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I had the exact same experience with power conditioners. Heck, a friend visited his dealer and the dealer told him his 2 year old amps were junk. No mincing words. Told him they were junk and needed to be traded in to get the new upgraded version.
Wrong brands ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing