Best DACs comparison test result [[My Subjective Opinion]]

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I would need at least one of the modules to have it work with Roon. Either the Ethernet Bridge / renderer module, or the USB MQA module to hook up my Innuos ZENith MK3 via USB.

Anyways .... I am just looking at the Discrete now. Premier is definitely out of my reach
Not sure whether MSB Discrete is a definite improvement over QX 20.

You had better have home audition of it before pulling the trigger.

I had been using EMMlab Dac2 for almost 10 years now.

But it is not easy to make decision on changing Dac since new Dac can come out in a year or two with innovative sound at reasonable price.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Not sure whether MSB Discrete is a definite improvement over QX 20.

You had better have home audition of it before pulling the trigger.

You are absolutely correct. Yes, I listened to it at a dealer, but I got out more confused than clear. I will not buy anything before auditioning at home and comparing with my Ayre. Or buying something with the guarantee that I can return it.

Reactions: Ugc

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Hello Mr
Esotar

I am staying in Korea for dental work.

Can I visit your shop to listen to some DAC and music server?

I can speak Korean.

It will be nice if we can schedule the meeting on 14th or 15th.

thanks in advance

Thomas

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hello Mr
Esotar

I am staying in Korea for dental work.

Can I visit your shop to listen to some DAC and music server?

I can speak Korean.

It will be nice if we can schedule the meeting on 14th or 15th.

thanks in advance

Thomas

Hello, Thomas~!

I'm sorry.

Actually I'm being ready to move out.

So now my system is removal company's storage.

Very sad~!!

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I am going to stay in Seoul until May 28th.

If possible, I wish to visit your new showroom.

Thomas

Good~!

I can invite you.

When I'm ready, I'll tell you~!!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I would need at least one of the modules to have it work with Roon. Either the Ethernet Bridge / renderer module, or the USB MQA module to hook up my Innuos ZENith MK3 via USB.

Anyways .... I am just looking at the Discrete now. Premier is definitely out of my reach
You have the new Aries Cerat Helena, to is a game changer at it's price point. 12.8K euros. R2R digital engine, tube power supply, tube gain stage. It is big and heavy, really well built. I heard it at Munich and had the top of it. Really nice DAC, with a superbly natural sound.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lampi TRP with RK recti and GEC kt66 is out of this world with respect to price value ratio.

My analog only buddy was stunned during his 2 week demo and was forced to upgrade his already high performing vinyl setup. First dac he ever heard that totally erased any for of digitius and it does not cost meg bucks.

I have a demo unit now myself and its a terror! Really, its TOO good for the price.
Wow, just wow!

Last edited:

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
You have the new Aries Cerat Helena, to is a game changer at it's price point. 12.8K euros. R2R digital engine, tube power supply, tube gain stage. It is big and heavy, really well built. I heard it at Munich and had the top of it. Really nice DAC, with a superbly natural sound.

How many does Helena have AD1865N-Ks???

Aries Cerat doesn't export to Korea.

I heard Kassandra 2 Sig LE in oversea audio show and very shocked.

Personally I like Kassandra 2 Sig LE more than MSB Select II.

Kassandra 2 Sig LE is perfect super DAC, but too heavy and huge.

Helena will be ideal size GREAT DAC to Korea.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
How many does Helena have AD1865N-Ks???

Aries Cerat doesn't export to Korea.

I heard Kassandra 2 Sig LE in oversea audio show and very shocked.

Personally I like Kassandra 2 Sig LE more than MSB Select II.

Kassandra 2 Sig LE is perfect super DAC, but too heavy and huge.

Helena will be ideal size GREAT DAC to Korea.

Hello

We do have a Korean distributor you can contact.
They do have Kassandra Sig as demo,and soon the Helene as well.

Cheers
Stavros

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hello

We do have a Korean distributor you can contact.
They do have Kassandra Sig as demo,and soon the Helene as well.

Cheers
Stavros

Oh really?

GREAT~!!!

I hope your DACs will be popular in Korea~!!!!!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Lampi TRP with RK recti and GEC kt66 is out of this world with respect to price value ratio.

My analog only buddy was stunned during his 2 week demo and was forced to upgrade his already high performing vinyl setup. First dac he ever heard that totally erased any for of digitius and it does not cost meg bucks.

I have a demo unit now myself and its a terror! Really, its TOO good for the price.
Wow, just wow!

Heard it earlier this week...nice little DAC. Will get to hear it in my own system compared to Kassandra this coming Monday...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
One with Vol Ctl? if not, you miss one (very important) gear in the gearbox for max performance. Quality Active preamp a must too.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
One with Vol Ctl? if not, you miss ine gear in the gearbox for max performance. Quality Active preamp a must too.
No volume control...don’t worry I got it covered ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Chrk

May 22, 2015
London
I own a Trinity DAC (with a TotalDac USB cable) and my neighbour has the MSB Reference DAC. Using an aurender music server I have to say we preferred the trinity when paying small ensemble (Jazz, chamber music or smaller), the image being narrower but with a strong physical presence and a softer sound. Obviously it was only on PCM files (24/192). The MSB was superior in definition and shows a wider scale soundstage (in depth and and wideness) Both of us have a vinyl system, the digital being just the easier solution.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Esotar, Thanks for the list(s), which I just stumbled across. I've been living with a Directstream, but have been poking around for a more emotionally engaging sound (warm, less digital & able to drive actives directly w/o a preamp). Some of those on your list I'd never heard of and it's been fun looking them up, even the ones beyond my price range.

One very well-reputed brand not included is Ayon Audio (Austria), their Stratos dac (or next down, Stealth) in particular. Are they available in S. Korea?

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Esotar, Thanks for the list(s), which I just stumbled across. I've been living with a Directstream, but have been poking around for a more emotionally engaging sound (warm, less digital & able to drive actives directly w/o a preamp). Some of those on your list I'd never heard of and it's been fun looking them up, even the ones beyond my price range.

One very well-reputed brand not included is Ayon Audio (Austria), their Stratos dac (or next down, Stealth) in particular. Are they available in S. Korea?
Lampizator has dac at diff price levels.
Sonically they seem to suit your taste.

Reactions: Golum

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Lampizator has dac at diff price levels.
Sonically they seem to suit your taste.

TotalDac is also in the same price range as some of the lower level Lampizator's configured, although I'm not sure yet that one can get both balanced and unbalanced outputs at the lower product level (with subs I'd need both or an external crossover). Do you know about Ayon? Thanks,

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing