Best desktop DAC/amp for an old iMac (2015) and average bookshelf speaker?

Aug 12, 2019
I'm setting up my home, well flat-office, and starting from scratch having recently lost my portable dac/amp while travelling. What would work well with an iMac? I'm looking to spend less than £300 ish as i'm on a small budget due to new circumstances but I can't live without my music. I prefer using Tidal for streaming and don't mind a bit of MQA. I've used an iFi before - the now lost nano BL) but I'm open to suggestions. Doesn't have to be portable as I now pretty much office based. Thanks.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm setting up my home, well flat-office, and starting from scratch having recently lost my portable dac/amp while travelling. What would work well with an iMac? I'm looking to spend less than £300 ish as i'm on a small budget due to new circumstances but I can't live without my music. I prefer using Tidal for streaming and don't mind a bit of MQA. I've used an iFi before - the now lost nano BL) but I'm open to suggestions. Doesn't have to be portable as I now pretty much office based. Thanks.
Hello Audiomonkey777,
The products of iFi and Pro-ject should meet your need.
Giving them a LPS will improve the sonic performance further.
:)

Aug 12, 2019
Hello Audiomonkey777,
The products of iFi and Pro-ject should meet your need.
Giving them a LPS will improve the sonic performance further.
:)

Thanks. Mmm get the LPS should help things most definitely. . I was also reading eslewhere that my iMac could potentially have grounding issues as well. I can't say I noticed a hum or buzz before but then I wasn't settled long enough really. Listened to more audio on the move.

I need to have a look at Pro-ject then. I have used iFi before but fancy branching out a bit. Any suggestions of the Pro-ject front?

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
If you can get by without MQA the range of DACs from Schiit Audio offer good value for money.

Reactions: audiomonkey777

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing