Best Vinyl of Dave Brubeck Quartet’s Time Out?

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Ron,

The Szell test press of the 5th arrived an hour ago,accompanied by the Haffner.

I have also acquired the TPs of pictures at an exhibition and night on bare mountain.

These are as rare as hens teeth,especially in stone cold mint.

Kindest regards,G.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
The Schuricht 9th TP has just changed the game for me.

Never released STEREO test press of the maestro conducting the Vienna Phil' makes all others tame in comparison.

Kindest regards,G.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ron,

The Szell test press of the 5th arrived an hour ago,accompanied by the Haffner.

I have also acquired the TPs of pictures at an exhibition and night on bare mountain.

These are as rare as hens teeth,especially in stone cold mint.

Kindest regards,G.

Dear zerostargeneral,

I will not have a system until next year but when I do, by these pressings, you will have made me the happiest audiophile! Thank you, thank you, thank you for having the thoughtfulness, caring and generosity with your time to source these unique pressings! I am very grateful now, and I surely will be even more grateful when these LPs grace my future system!

With warmest regards, Ron

Bonzo75, please keep your mitts off my Time Out mono! I will figure out a mono set-up.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Ron,

You are more than welcome,with regard to the Brubeck mono;a stereo mc playback system is often better.

kindest regards,G.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear zerostargeneral,

Great! In that case I will start with the stereo mc playback system!

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Did Chad commission a new mastering of Time Out by BG or did he simply use the lacquers or stampers that he acquired from Mike Hobson?

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Schuricht 9th TP has just changed the game for me.

Never released STEREO test press of the maestro conducting the Vienna Phil' makes all others tame in comparison.

Kindest regards,G.

Is that the Schuricht Beethoven 9th, or Schubert 9th, or Bruckner 9th (not ASD492), or Dvorak 9th, or ... Thanks, Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Beethoven

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Played my stereo version and part of mono of Brubeck's "Time Further Out", which is more daring musically and of similar production values. It also provides a nice system workout.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Larry,

Kedar was on the phone to me as I listened to the 1st movement of the choral symphony.

I acquired two Schuricht 9 performances;two single sided test press with the Conservatoire de Paris(FALP release)in stereo,the other is five single sided with the Vienna Phil' again in stereo(never released or catalogued).

Kindest regards,G.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What he said. I own original mono 6 eye, stereo 6 eye and Classic 45 rpm 1995. They are all great; the mono is exceptional.

Mark, does your mono 6 eye say "mono"? I have 2 copies of CL 1397 and neither say mono. I need to spin this today.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Dear Larry,

Kedar was on the phone to me as I listened to the 1st movement of the choral symphony.

I acquired two Schuricht 9 performances;two single sided test press with the Conservatoire de Paris(FALP release)in stereo,the other is five single sided with the Vienna Phil' again in stereo(never released or catalogued).

Kindest regards,G.

Thanks, G. Interesting about the Schuricht. I checked on my Decca data resource and found this. In 1952 at the end of May and beginning of June Decca recorded with the VPO two consecutive week long sessions - Victor Olof producing and Cyril Windebank engineering. Mono , of course. The first session May 25-26, and May 27-29. they recorded the Beethoven Symphonies 1 and 2, and the Brahms Piano Concerto 2 with Schuricht conducting, Backhaus did the piano concerto. Also in the session they recorded the Beethoven Piano Concerto 2 with Backhaus, but for some reason Clemens Krauss conducted. Now here is the most interesting part. On June 1-5, with the same producer and engineer and the VPO in the Musikverein, just like the previous week, they recorded the Beethoven 9th, with Hilde Gueden, Sieglinde Wagner, Anton Dermota and Ludwig Weber. However the conductor was Erich Kleiber, not Schuricht. It would be fascinating to know the back story for this. Why didn't Schuricht conduct the entire two weeks. Was there a scheduling problem, were there contractual issues? You probably have these Decca mono recordings. Take care, Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard these today. The Szell Beethoven 5th test press is possibly the best recorded symphony I heard - it was just marvelous. The whole range, swell of each note, the way massed strings laid out - I have heard many symphonic records on this system - both 45 rpm reissues as well as ED1s of well known Decca originals like New World - Kertesz. But this was a few leagues above. I also got to compare it to the ED1, and it made the ED1 sound like flat pancake sterile CD.

The Kogan Brahms Violin Concerto, Columbia testpress had me saying the F word for a few minutes after we stopped playing it. I have not heard a violin sound like that. These two were the ultimate. On the 9th, my Solti Speaker's Corner sounded tweaked in the bass with focus lower down on the thumps and losing all the air on the woodwinds, layering of the orchestra, and the strings which the Schuricht 9th had in plenty. However there is no point listening to them as hardly any are available and cost a fortune, so the sooner I forget about these the better.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard these today. The Szell Beethoven 5th test press is possibly the best recorded symphony I heard - it was just marvelous. The whole range, swell of each note, the way massed strings laid out - I have heard many symphonic records on this system - both 45 rpm reissues as well as ED1s of well known Decca originals like New World - Kertesz. But this was a few leagues above. I also got to compare it to the ED1, and it made the ED1 sound like flat pancake sterile CD.

The Kogan Brahms Violin Concerto, Columbia testpress had me saying the F word for a few minutes after we stopped playing it. I have not heard a violin sound like that. These two were the ultimate. On the 9th, my Solti Speaker's Corner sounded tweaked in the bass with focus lower down on the thumps and losing all the air on the woodwinds, layering of the orchestra, and the strings which the Schuricht 9th had in plenty. However there is no point listening to them as hardly any are available and cost a fortune, so the sooner I forget about these the better.

Is this Szell Cleveland Orchestra? And Kogan Brahms with Philharmonia Orchestra & Kondrashin?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is this Szell Cleveland Orchestra? And Kogan Brahms with Philharmonia Orchestra & Kondrashin?

Yes - but it was the pressings I was particularly referring to for those performances. For test presses, many are done with raw stampers not brushed, so the first 20 or so need to be thrown out. However, some are done with a brushed stamper, in which case you want the earliest test presses. What the general does is he sources a lot of test presses to filter out the good ones. Expensive search, but can turn up absolute gems. You are not into vinyl, but you should go there (just under an hour from Central London)...to see the difference what a test press can make compared to a first edition. The first edition of the Kogan goes for around 7k and the Szell goes for 1k I guess. These presses are way superior

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes - but it was the pressings I was particularly referring to for those performances. For test presses, many are done with raw stampers not brushed, so the first 20 or so need to be thrown out. However, some are done with a brushed stamper, in which case you want the earliest test presses. What the general does is he sources a lot of test presses to filter out the good ones. Expensive search, but can turn up absolute gems. You are not into vinyl, but you should go there (just under an hour from Central London)...to see the difference what a test press can make compared to a first edition. The first edition of the Kogan goes for around 7k and the Szell goes for 1k I guess. These presses are way superior

Thanks...I was actually interested to see if you thought it was well recorded/mastered enough that i might pick up Szell 24 bit remasters on CD.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks...I was actually interested to see if you thought it was well recorded/mastered enough that i might pick up Szell 24 bit remasters on CD.

Can't say, but no correlation... The performers are the same, but it's not like I have compared it to various other performances of the same pieces which might be almost as good, and maybe better, on CD. These test presses are the best I have heard where both the performances are great and the sonics are unparalleled. As I said, even the first edition (ed1) of the 5th, which follows the test press, did not have that magic. So where remastered CD is concerned, I strongly doubt.

This is where ability to stream helps as you can quickly check which of the various performances of the same piece you prefer

The Kogan Beethoven violin concerto ED1 also costs the same amount of money, 5k GBP plus, as the Brahms ed1. Never heard the original, but I have a testament reissue which I do not like. . If the CD is like the testament, well... Then you are just buying to have the performance instead of the combo of both sonics and performance. This is where ability to stream helps as you can quickly check which of the various performances of the same piece you prefer

To summarize: should you have the CD for the performance, yes. Will it give you an effect of good stage, flow, tone etc compared to others, I doubt

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Can't say, but no correlation... The performers are the same, but it's not like I have compared it to various other performances of the same pieces which might be almost as good, and maybe better, on CD. These test presses are the best I have heard where both the performances are great and the sonics are unparalleled. As I said, even the first edition (ed1) of the 5th, which follows the test press, did not have that magic. So where remastered CD is concerned, I strongly doubt.

This is where ability to stream helps as you can quickly check which of the various performances of the same piece you prefer

The Kogan Beethoven violin concerto ED1 also costs the same amount of money, 5k GBP plus, as the Brahms ed1. Never heard the original, but I have a testament reissue which I do not like. ?? . If the CD is like the testament, well... Then you are just buying to have the performance instead of the combo of both sonics and performance. This is where ability to stream helps as you can quickly check which of the various performances of the same piece you prefer

To summarize: should you have the CD for the performance, yes. Will it give you an effect of good stage, flow, tone etc compared to others, I doubt

Thanks...will keep on hold. I have a few sets already...Karajan '62 (remastered?), Furtwangler's supposed best (remastered), Hogwood, Polish Symphony (Tacet), Harnoncourt

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing