Bi-amping With "Y" Splitter: Any Impedance Problem?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For our electrical engineer members: Does using a "Y" splitter on an interconnect cable to direct a pre-amp output signal to two different amplifiers for bi-amping cause any impedance problem?

Does having the dual amplifier loads derived from the same interconnect alter the source/load impedance seen by the input of each amplifier?

Thank you!

For our electrical engineer members: Does using a "Y" splitter on an interconnect cable to direct a pre-amp output signal to two different amplifiers for bi-amping cause any impedance problem?

Does having the dual amplifier loads derived from the same interconnect alter the source/load impedance seen by the input of each amplifier?

Thank you!
It may or may not be a problem, but the impedance definitely changes. For example, I have a solid-state amplifier I use to drive my sub. It has an impedance of around 10K ohms. I also have a tube amplifier I use to drive my Quads in my system. It has an impedance of approximately 100K ohms. The 100K load is an easy load to drive but when I add the 10K load of the solid-state amp, the load is more difficult to drive. As a consequence, the pre-amp I use should have a low output impedance. If I only drive the tube amplifier, I don’t need the pre-amp to necessarily have a low output impedance. Hope this helps.

John

Thank you, John.

Yes, that's what I was expecting.

I just checked the output impedance of the transistor amplifier in question, and it's 200,000 ohms, so that should be fine.

Are you using a simple "Y" splitter to split the signal to the solid-state amp for the subwoofer and to the tube amp for the speakers?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing