Boulder 866 problem?

Ronboco

May 9, 2022
Good morning everyone
First post here. I have had my 866 for a few months now and have been alerted to a problem and would like to get opinions please. Apparently Boulder has put a safety in the DAC section that shuts off the amp if it senses clipping. I was listening to some electronic music at a fairly low volume 80-85 db and the music kept shutting off and coming back on. This seems like it shouldn’t happen. Is this amp not capable of playing certain music ? I thought I could really throw anything I want at it with 400 watts into 4 ohms and 700 into 2. My speakers are Rockport Avior ii. Thank you for your thoughts

Ron

I assume you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in. Other than that, I suggest you contact Boulder customer service, they will likely know how to resolve the issue. I had a couple of minor glitches with my Boulder 1110 which were easily solved over the phone.

I assume you tried unplugging it, then plugging it back in. Other than that, I suggest you contact Boulder customer service, they will likely know how to resolve the issue. I had a couple of minor glitches with my Boulder 1110 which were easily solved over the phone.
Hi Chuck. Thanks for the tips. I was curious if anybody else had the same problem. My dealer also suggested checking for any updates that might need installed.
Regards

Ron

I have used a Boulder 866 for 19 months with Magico A3s then A5s. Never a problem. "Rock" solid (pun intended).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing