Boulder and ARC

Robnpg

Aug 18, 2023
I have an ARC160S which I enjoy. However, I did a comparison to the Boulder 2160 and thought the Boulder completely eclipsed it (to be more accurate, the comparison was to 160m MK II’s) to me. I want to make a switch but boy that 2160 budget! :)
Leads me to the 1160 which I could do without an issue. Problem is, the dealer didn’t have an 1160 on hand to compare to the ARC so I wouldn’t know if I’d be getting the upgrades I’d heard(faster, didn’t lose any warmth, clarity, etc) in the 2160.
Any thoughts out there on the 1160 in comparison to the 2160 or maybe even the Audio Research by chance?
My system:
Audio Research Ref 6SE
Audio Research Ref 3Se Phono
Audio Research 160S Amp
Rockport Cygnus speakers
VPI Prime 21 Signature with My Sonic Labs Eminent Cart
Aurender A20

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2
I made the change from 160S to 1160 almost a year ago. The impedence matching between the 6SE and 1160 is favorable for starters. My impression was that the 1160 offered better transient response and coherence with full symphonic passages, bass with more authority and crispness. The 1160 is not "clinical" nor is the 160S "warm". Both amps are generally neutral in character. Both amps offer a large and convincing soundstage with very good inner detail. The 6SE and 1160 have proven to be a satisfying pairing. All listening with Wilson Alexia V.

Reactions: Robnpg
I made the change from 160S to 1160 almost a year ago. The impedence matching between the 6SE and 1160 is favorable for starters. My impression was that the 1160 offered better transient response and coherence with full symphonic passages, bass with more authority and crispness. The 1160 is not "clinical" nor is the 160S "warm". Both amps are generally neutral in character. Both amps offer a large and convincing soundstage with very good inner detail. The 6SE and 1160 have proven to be a satisfying pairing. All listening with Wilson Alexia V.
Thanks for that! This helps my decision along.....

I heard the AR Ref 160M a few times and love them. The Boulder 2160 I very much like too. But you know your listening to SS with Boulder. Of course with the Ref160M, you are listening to tubes. Neithet eclipe each other. Thats not accurate. They present a little different so it comes down to personal taste.
The OP does not say he has the Ref 160, so maybe there is something to that.

I think the issue is your speakers like a *lot* of current and drive. Boulder will give you that much more than ARC tubes.

I personally would require 400+ watts on any Rockport. It's a very hard speaker to drive and will reward you when driven correctly.

Reactions: rangda and Robnpg
I think the issue is your speakers like a *lot* of current and drive. Boulder will give you that much more than ARC tubes.

I personally would require 400+ watts on any Rockport. It's a very hard speaker to drive and will reward you when driven correctly.
The 2160 made these Cygnus sing like an angel :) Don't get me wrong, the 160S is nice, but I thought the 2160 was clearly at another level.....

Depends on your room and listening habits. The 1160 is probably more than enough. Hard to unhear the 2160, but it is likely more than you need. That said, start saving.

If I was at that level I would be all Boulder pre and amp. Enjoy!

Reactions: Dylan and Robnpg
Depends on your room and listening habits. The 1160 is probably more than enough. Hard to unhear the 2160, but it is likely more than you need. That said, start saving.

If I was at that level I would be all Boulder pre and amp. Enjoy!
I hear you. Haven't heard the pre-amp. Throw that into the mix and I'll be saving until I'm 90 :) Will be sticking with the 6se for the foreseeable future :)

I hear you. Haven't heard the pre-amp. Throw that into the mix and I'll be saving until I'm 90 :) Will be sticking with the 6se for the foreseeable future :)
I had an ARC Ref40 preamp for ten years, paired with first a Boulder 2060 then the 3060. I switched to a Boulder 1110 about four years ago mainly because I got tired of dealing with the tubes, not due to sound quality which is pretty close. On some music the edge went to the ARC but on classical the 1110 was preferred. I re-tubed it 5-6 times and had to send it back to ARC once when a tube wiped out a board. Looking back, I should have re-tubed 10x, once a year. The 1110 is much easier to live with, I leave it on 24/7, not something I would even consider with the ARC.

I had an ARC Ref40 preamp for ten years, paired with first a Boulder 2060 then the 3060. I switched to a Boulder 1110 about four years ago mainly because I got tired of dealing with the tubes, not due to sound quality which is pretty close. On some music the edge went to the ARC but on classical the 1110 was preferred. I re-tubed it 5-6 times and had to send it back to ARC once when a tube wiped out a board. Looking back, I should have re-tubed 10x, once a year. The 1110 is much easier to live with, I leave it on 24/7, not something I would even consider with the ARC.
I feel you on the tube replacement. Between the Pre, Amp, and Phono that’s a lot. I’m sure I’ll be making the switch to the amp. More than likely I will try to swing for the 2160; but if I miss just want to be sure I’ll be ok with the 1160. Thanks for the input!

I feel you on the tube replacement. Between the Pre, Amp, and Phono that’s a lot. I’m sure I’ll be making the switch to the amp. More than likely I will try to swing for the 2160; but if I miss just want to be sure I’ll be ok with the 1160. Thanks for the input!
If you go 1160 or 2160 look at putting in a 30 amp line. Not sure if Chuck is using 30 amp but most say it makes a difference especially if you push your amps and system.

It’s not necessary as plenty use a 20 amp line and I would on the 1160 but that’s because I don’t crank it.

Reactions: Robnpg and chuck
If you go 1160 or 2160 look at putting in a 30 amp line. Not sure if Chuck is using 30 amp but most say it makes a difference especially if you push your amps and system.
I used a 30 amp 240V for the 2060 and of course the 3060 only works on 30 amp. It is pretty easy to switch Boulder amps from 120 to 240 and to switch back, too.

I would get the 2160 if it is at all doable. The 1160 is an excellent amp but not in the 2160 league.
The 2160 is definitely my goal!

Reactions: dan31
I have always felt the Boulder was one of if not the best current SS amp and figured pre amp choice would make the difference with Sonics ..

Fantastic Beast of an amp ...!

Reactions: rsorren1 and Robnpg
Heard likely at same dealer. Cygnus and Arc/boulder. My friend and I preferred the Boulder set up to the ARC.

Looking like July 2025. Preparing myself…..

I originally listened to the Alexia V through the 2160/2110. As others have said the 2160 is in a different league than the 1160 but that goes even more so for the ARC 6SE. I found the 1160 to be a step up replacement for the 160S with my current ARC front end. The, 2160, however, was clearly a less satisfactory combination with the 6SE than with the 2110. By contrast I thought the 1160/1110 combination not as "musical" as the 1160/6SE despite the all Boulder setup being somewhat more detailed. I passed on the 2160 only because I inevitably would need to upgrade the front end.IMG_4431.jpeg

I originally listened to the Alexia V through the 2160/2110. As others have said the 2160 is in a different league than the 1160 but that goes even more so for the ARC 6SE. I found the 1160 to be a step up replacement for the 160S with my current ARC front end. The, 2160, however, was clearly a less satisfactory combination with the 6SE than with the 2110. By contrast I thought the 1160/1110 combination not as "musical" as the 1160/6SE despite the all Boulder setup being somewhat more detailed. I passed on the 2160 only because I inevitably would need to upgrade the front end.View attachment 132154
That’s a very interesting take. Thanks for that input. I was thinking about the 1169 for a while, but I know I would be pining for the 2160. As for replacing the 6SE down the line; boy that would be a task. Especially since I would like to update my Aurender Dac to a MSB at some point as well….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing