Cable Lifts thread

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Love it Marc, though figuring that euros could become an endangered species over your way eventually and sadly stacks of pounds might be the cheaper option for cable lifters... with nothing much left over for beer even.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would say put yr cables upon British promises, but those would be most unstable of all.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
Far Hills, NJ
I'm not sure why anyone would spend over $100 each on cable lifters. The main purpose of cable lifters is to remove cables from the static electricity from the floor. Buy some #13 2-hole rubber stoppers and some golf tees and voilå, here are some great cable lifters for about a buck apiece. Not high enough for you? Stack the stoppers to your desired height. (By speaker cables are MB Ultras which come in white so I use a back cable covers which accounts for the fact they don't look like typical cables in the photo)

IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1966.jpg

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 13, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I'm not sure why anyone would spend over $100 each on cable lifters. The main purpose of cable lifters is to remove cables from the static electricity from the floor. Buy some #13 2-hole rubber stoppers and some golf tees and voilå, here are some great cable lifters for about a buck apiece. Not high enough for you? Stack the stoppers to your desired height. (By speaker cables are MB Ultras which come in white so I use a back cable covers which accounts for the fact they don't look like typical cables in the photo)

View attachment 49437 View attachment 49438 View attachment 49441
As with many other stupid expensive audiophile products, many users have their expectations and confidence boosted by paying exorbitant prices for their gear.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

View attachment 49437 View attachment 49438 View attachment 49441
do you still have a slice? LOL

Oct 1, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Not that it matters in the least, but the cables will be more exposed to static electricity when in the air insulated from the floor. The better the separating insulation the more chance for static electricity.

Why do you think that static electricity has anything to do with audio electronics?

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Not that it matters in the least, but the cables will be more exposed to static electricity when in the air insulated from the floor. The better the separating insulation the more chance for static electricity.

Why do you think that static electricity has anything to do with audio electronics?
Interesting that you ask this. I suppose because when some experiment by lifting their cables 4 - 5 inches off the carpet, sometimes small sonic improvements occur by making the presentation a tad less grainy or tad less hash. Perhaps there's a better scientific explanation but common folklore leads some of us to believe the static electricity in the carpet is lending to a slightly more grainy or hash-like sound for at least some carpets and at least some cables.

Shortly after auditioning the Darkfield II's, I lifted my smaller passive line conditioners off the carpet that (and other LC's) had been sitting on several carpets for 15 years or so and noticed an oh-so-slight cleaning up of the sound. Shortly thereafter I did the same by lifting the LC's power cables and again noticed an oh-so-slight cleaning up of the sound.

Beside my trite experiments listed earlier in this thread, in time past I've noticed some relatively minor cleaning up of the sound when lifting some (not all) speaker cables 4 or 5 inches off the carpet.

But with regard to my experiment with a DIY method I mentioned earlier here, I don't think static electricity had much of anythiing to do with the reasonable sonic improvements I noticed as what I was using prior to actually lifted my cables an inch or so higher than what I settle on. Anyway, I suspect the reasonable improvements stated earlier had far more to do with vibration mgmt and damping the speaker cables' ability to vibrate when current passes thru.

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Probably why some vendors at RMAF have an anti - stat discharge (grounding) pad by their gear and touch it before they touch any of their equipment. And yes, I raised my speaker cables off my carpet using CD cases. And yes, it was totally audible making a positive improvement. And it's more of an issue in dry, low humidity climates.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing