Cable Lifts thread

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Love it Marc, though figuring that euros could become an endangered species over your way eventually and sadly stacks of pounds might be the cheaper option for cable lifters... with nothing much left over for beer even.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would say put yr cables upon British promises, but those would be most unstable of all.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm not sure why anyone would spend over $100 each on cable lifters. The main purpose of cable lifters is to remove cables from the static electricity from the floor. Buy some #13 2-hole rubber stoppers and some golf tees and voilå, here are some great cable lifters for about a buck apiece. Not high enough for you? Stack the stoppers to your desired height. (By speaker cables are MB Ultras which come in white so I use a back cable covers which accounts for the fact they don't look like typical cables in the photo)

IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1966.jpg

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I'm not sure why anyone would spend over $100 each on cable lifters. The main purpose of cable lifters is to remove cables from the static electricity from the floor. Buy some #13 2-hole rubber stoppers and some golf tees and voilå, here are some great cable lifters for about a buck apiece. Not high enough for you? Stack the stoppers to your desired height. (By speaker cables are MB Ultras which come in white so I use a back cable covers which accounts for the fact they don't look like typical cables in the photo)

View attachment 49437 View attachment 49438 View attachment 49441
As with many other stupid expensive audiophile products, many users have their expectations and confidence boosted by paying exorbitant prices for their gear.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

View attachment 49437 View attachment 49438 View attachment 49441
do you still have a slice? LOL

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Not that it matters in the least, but the cables will be more exposed to static electricity when in the air insulated from the floor. The better the separating insulation the more chance for static electricity.

Why do you think that static electricity has anything to do with audio electronics?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Not that it matters in the least, but the cables will be more exposed to static electricity when in the air insulated from the floor. The better the separating insulation the more chance for static electricity.

Why do you think that static electricity has anything to do with audio electronics?

Interesting that you ask this. I suppose because when some experiment by lifting their cables 4 - 5 inches off the carpet, sometimes small sonic improvements occur by making the presentation a tad less grainy or tad less hash. Perhaps there's a better scientific explanation but common folklore leads some of us to believe the static electricity in the carpet is lending to a slightly more grainy or hash-like sound for at least some carpets and at least some cables.

Shortly after auditioning the Darkfield II's, I lifted my smaller passive line conditioners off the carpet that (and other LC's) had been sitting on several carpets for 15 years or so and noticed an oh-so-slight cleaning up of the sound. Shortly thereafter I did the same by lifting the LC's power cables and again noticed an oh-so-slight cleaning up of the sound.

Beside my trite experiments listed earlier in this thread, in time past I've noticed some relatively minor cleaning up of the sound when lifting some (not all) speaker cables 4 or 5 inches off the carpet.

But with regard to my experiment with a DIY method I mentioned earlier here, I don't think static electricity had much of anythiing to do with the reasonable sonic improvements I noticed as what I was using prior to actually lifted my cables an inch or so higher than what I settle on. Anyway, I suspect the reasonable improvements stated earlier had far more to do with vibration mgmt and damping the speaker cables' ability to vibrate when current passes thru.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Probably why some vendors at RMAF have an anti - stat discharge (grounding) pad by their gear and touch it before they touch any of their equipment. And yes, I raised my speaker cables off my carpet using CD cases. And yes, it was totally audible making a positive improvement. And it's more of an issue in dry, low humidity climates.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
What I have done is install the electrical outlets at 3" off of the floor.
This way the AC cables aren't up at 12 or 18" . Strain relief not required.
Purchased two boxes of ceramic cable elevators back in 2006. $80 for two and haven't looked back. Keeps cables tidy.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Besides Furutech NCF boosters and hockey pucks, I found a mini “cable reel”. Works great

Attachments

• BF3DF88F-FDE6-4209-9928-8225680DCB16.jpeg
    BF3DF88F-FDE6-4209-9928-8225680DCB16.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Mikem53

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have used the original Shunyata Dark Field Elevators for many years and recently added several taller DIY cable lifts for clearance purposes. But what I haven't heard/read until very recently is that when cables are on or too close to the floor the floor effectively becomes part of the cable's dielectric thereby impacting charge storage/release and ultimately the sound. See:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I have used the original Shunyata Dark Field Elevators for many years and recently added several taller DIY cable lifts for clearance purposes. But what I haven't heard/read until very recently is that when cables are on or too close to the floor the floor effectively becomes part of the cable's dielectric thereby impacting charge storage/release and ultimately the sound. See:

Exactly. At least for those with carpet or rugs? I've noticed significant gains when also elevating line conditioners and power cables off the carpet. What's odd is sometimes lifting power cables can take upwards of 24 hours before noticing an audible improvement. Perhaps it includes the fact that I just moved / upset the cables. Used to own Audio Tekne ic's and speaker cables which exhibited similar behavior when moved. At least for the ic's anyway.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Has anyone compared the sonic differences between different cable lifters?

I know Furutech has its new NCF cable lifters. (I am waiting for MikeL to issue a full report on those!)

Shun Mook does not make cable lifters anymore.

Who makes the other good cable lifter products?
Just bought a set of the Audioquest "Fog Lifters" which in my system produce an incremental increase in clarity and perceived speed as was described in the Positive Feedback and 6Moons reviews. At $150 for a set of eight a worthwhile investment. IMG_0790.jpg

Reactions: Bbock

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
STEREO 2021 05 Issue………………..ACCESSORY FILE
Improved overall extrusion when used with a power cable. The resolution is high. The contrast is strengthened. by Yutaka Suzuki

Audience Jewel Cable Lifter
Audience in the United States is a manufacturer that develops and releases loudspeakers and audio cables. A new audio accessory has arrived from that Audience. It is used under the power cable, speaker cable, and interconnect cable.
The first thing that impresses me is its appearance. Made from clear bluish acrylic resin, it is cube-shaped with a size of W50xD50xH50mm. It weighs 280g. The operating principle is to "reduce interference from conductive concrete floorboards and other electrical cables." It is especially suitable for use under heavy power cables, and it also states that "prevents sagging at AC outlets and ensures maximum electrical contact."
The test was done on my home system. First, I used two under the left and right of the speaker cable. I came to feel an appropriate space between the sound images. At the same time, for example, it is good to deepen the nuances that human beings are clapping in the timbre of the audience's applause at live performances. The rise of the acoustic guitar does not slow down.
I also tried the power cable. On the way to the power amplifier, on the way of the parametric equalizer, I put it in front of the plug that goes into the pre of the power cable of the preamplifier. The feeling of energy becomes stronger and the overall extrusion is improved. The resolution is high. It can be said that the contrast becomes stronger. There is also a feeling that a subtly gorgeous sound rides in the high range.
Many of these cable insulators control vibration and static electricity, but they are products that are sufficiently effective. At the same time, the golden logo of the audience can be seen floating from the concave side where the cable is placed, and it also appeals to the finish and the presence as a thing. I think that John McDonald's words, "You can get a more satisfying listening experience," is a product developed by a music lover.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
STEREO 2021 05 Issue………………..ACCESSORY FILE
Improved overall extrusion when used with a power cable. The resolution is high. The contrast is strengthened. by Yutaka Suzuki

Audience Jewel Cable Lifter
Audience in the United States is a manufacturer that develops and releases loudspeakers and audio cables. A new audio accessory has arrived from that Audience. It is used under the power cable, speaker cable, and interconnect cable.
The first thing that impresses me is its appearance. Made from clear bluish acrylic resin, it is cube-shaped with a size of W50xD50xH50mm. It weighs 280g. The operating principle is to "reduce interference from conductive concrete floorboards and other electrical cables." It is especially suitable for use under heavy power cables, and it also states that "prevents sagging at AC outlets and ensures maximum electrical contact."
The test was done on my home system. First, I used two under the left and right of the speaker cable. I came to feel an appropriate space between the sound images. At the same time, for example, it is good to deepen the nuances that human beings are clapping in the timbre of the audience's applause at live performances. The rise of the acoustic guitar does not slow down.
I also tried the power cable. On the way to the power amplifier, on the way of the parametric equalizer, I put it in front of the plug that goes into the pre of the power cable of the preamplifier. The feeling of energy becomes stronger and the overall extrusion is improved. The resolution is high. It can be said that the contrast becomes stronger. There is also a feeling that a subtly gorgeous sound rides in the high range.
Many of these cable insulators control vibration and static electricity, but they are products that are sufficiently effective. At the same time, the golden logo of the audience can be seen floating from the concave side where the cable is placed, and it also appeals to the finish and the presence as a thing. I think that John McDonald's words, "You can get a more satisfying listening experience," is a product developed by a music lover.

The Audience Jewel is a similar height to the Shunyata Dark Field elevators I've used for years and contacts the cable over a larger area than the Shunyata (which has a "knife edge" plastic insert) or Audioquest. Haven't listened to the Jewel but my ears tell me that Audioquest is onto something with the taller Fog Lifters. The additional height above the floor seems to add a measure of clarity over the Dark Field Elevators. Both are better than having your cables on the floor.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012

Medialies

Apr 16, 2021
I do not understand the science behind these. Not trying to be irritating, just do not understand them.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I do not understand the science behind these. Not trying to be irritating, just do not understand them.
I think the original intent was to lift cables up off of a vibrating (from the speakers) floor so vibrations weren't transmitted by the cables causing distortion. I heard a modest increase in clarity from this basic type of cable lift 20 years ago when I first tried them. There were some like the ones by Combak Harmonix that were made of tone wood. They claimed to not only isolate the cables from floor borne vibrations but also to add a sympathetic resonance that would tune the cables the way their footers tuned components. Never tried them so I don't know what audible impact they have. I switched to the Shunyata Dark Field Elevators because they claimed to be made of a material that drained static charges out of the cable into the floor. They sound a little better to me than the my original all acrylic cable elevators but I'm not sure why and can't vouch for the science behind their claims. The Audioquest Fog Lifters make a new claim-proximity to the floor effectively makes the floor part of a cable's dielectric, increasing the distortion causing storage/discharge cycle. Reviewers at Positive Feedback Online and 6Moons.com found additional clarity and percieved speed from the "Fog Lifters" additional height and smaller cable contact area compared with other cable elevators. I found the same thing when I added the Fog Lifters to my system.

Reactions: Ultrafast69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing