Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Hell of a lot less of a danger to Life or Limb doing … Ahhhemmm 60mph down the A1 whilst attempting to extricate a chewed and partially digested Led Zeppelin ATLANTIC R440031 ;)
Yeah but....but...but...digital in an old Jag... o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut
One more post - here's an example of a track from that Mosaic box set I was referring to earlier:

You can download it to play it and compare it to whatever version you want/have and let me know whever it sounds "flat and unemotional". If it does, you may want to revisit your "digital system"..

It is from this album:

Here is a previous CD version on Qobuz (there are obviously many others):

For anyone curious to know, these are the people behind the production of this Bobby Hutcherson set (whose sound quality impressed me):

They have worked on a number of recent Mosaic box set, and they all sound really good. They have also produced recently anthologies of Paul Robeson ("Voice of Freedom") and Marian Anderson ("Beyond the Music - Complete recorded legacy for RCA Victor"). These are all "CD only".

In addition to restoration/re-issues, they have produced new recordings. This one, which I have listened to, sounds very good (you can listen on Qobuz, for example):

It's a "digital only" release.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing