Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I hoped late 1980s type digital "glare" had been vanquished long ago? I think you may be focused on the more obvious sonic indicators of a digital recording? I am focusing on the perhaps subtle one I have always judged by.

I am talking about a subtle "dryness" which for me has always been the telltale of a digital recording of vocals versus an analog recording of vocals. Not all digital recordings have this dryness.

I'm just listening to it now on my speakers. It's not bad. The sound is a little dull, not very dynamic - soft and easy to listen to. Maybe that's what they were striving for?

I'm just listening to it now on my speakers. It's not bad. The sound is a little dull, not very dynamic - soft and easy to listen to. Maybe that's what they were striving for?
Give "Church" on the same album a listen, that song has good placing of voices and always makes me chuckle. :)

The sound is a little dull, not very dynamic - soft and easy to listen to.
I think most "girl with guitar" vocals sound like this. These particular sonic attributes are not what I'm talking about. These sonic attributes to me are not indicators of digital recording.

The main indicator of digital recording of vocals to me is the dryness sensation.

Give "Church" on the same album a listen, that song has good placing of voices and always makes me chuckle. :)
Thank you. I didn't care for "Church." "North Dakota" is the only thing on the album I like.

I think most "girl with guitar" vocals sound like this. These particular sonic attributes are not what I'm talking about. These sonic attributes to me are not indicators of digital recording.

The main indicator of digital recording of vocals to me is the dryness sensation.
What do you mean by dryness?

In my system i can always hear the difference on drums, analog recorded drums mostly have a "rightness" to them, most digital recorded drums have a little drum machine sound to them. :)

Reactions: mtemur
Thank you. I didn't care for "Church." "North Dakota" is the only thing on the album I like.
I was giving the suggestion to hopkins, he streams and has most likely not heard the whole album, you have the vinyl version and probably have.;)

What do you mean by dryness?

I really don't know how to describe it except by that word. Listen to Amanda McBroom's voice on Growing up in Hollywood Town for an example of not dry.

"Dryness" is less natural, less "breath of life," less like a live human singing to me in my room, and more like listening to a human voice processed by electronics which strips out from the sound of the voice some of the naturalness and organic-ness.

To my ears Boulder amplifiers sound "dry" and Jadis amplifiers do not sound "dry."

Reactions: mtemur
I was giving the suggestion to hopkins, he streams and has most likely not heard the whole album, you have the vinyl version and probably have.;)
I typically play records like CDs. Which track am I looking for?:)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
I typically play records like CDs. Which track am I looking for?:)
Sometimes the real pearls are hidden on the tracks you listen to to get to the hits. Not that Lovett ever had real hits, it's his mastery of so many types of music that intrigue me.

Reactions: dan31
I really don't know how to describe it except by that word. Listen to Amanda McBroom's voice on Growing up in Hollywood Town for an example of not dry.

I just listened to that track on Qobuz, and I can't say that I am terribly impressed with the recording of her voice. It is certainly recorded differently, and her voice is sweet, but I can think of many albums which have better recorded vocals. Check out Nat King Cole at the Sands, or Jimmy Witherspoon's Roots for two examples that come to mind...

To me it's all about the recording here.

I just listened to that track on Qobuz, and I can't say that I am terribly impressed with the recording of her voice. It is certainly recorded differently, and her voice is sweet, but I can think of many albums which have better recorded vocals. Check out Nat King Cole at the Sands, for an example that comes to mind...
I do not know the sonic attributes you are going by which get baked into "better recorded vocals." I explicitly offered that album to you only as an example of not "dry."

I do not know the sonic attributes you are going by which get baked into "better recorded vocals." I offered that album to you only as an example of not "dry."
Let's not forget that he is only hearing one side of the analog/digital compare, he has not heard any vinyl versions of any of these songs. ;)

Let's not forget that he is only hearing one side of the analog/digital compare, he has not heard any vinyl versions of any of these songs. ;)
Oh, this is an excellent point! Thank you.

Of course I am recalling the in-the-room, non-dry sound of Amanda's voice on that album on a 100% analog playback system.

Oh, this is an excellent point! Thank you.

Of course I am recalling the in-the-room, non-dry sound of Amanda's voice on that album on a 100% analog playback system.
If the vinyl played back on your system transforms the experience of that recording, more power to you :)

Here's another nice one. There are so many...

Listening to this version, on digital, it sounds great.

Screenshot_20240920-173606.png

Last edited:
I love country and bluegrass, i love the "fiddle" not so much the violin. ;)
As someone who comes from a part of the US where such music is popular...I can honestly say I can leave nearly all of it for you ;) .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu