Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

For most recordings, don't forget i don't have a all tube system to make it all sound nice ;) It's not bad sounding, just a hint, that disappears the moment a well recorded all analog recording is put on the TT.
Not nice...realistic...not synthetic :cool:

You might want to try Willie Nelson he has a load of great sounding recordings and IMO great music as well. Teatro and For the Girls as a starter
Umm...THX but no THX...you knock yourself out with old Willie...like I said, I come from around those parts and know what I am missing and what I am not. I got lots of uncles and cousins that listen to both kinds of music...country AND western! ;)

Reactions: facten
I have always attributed the dry sound of digital to its flat 2 dimensional "sounds like mechanically reproduced" sonic signature.

Time to buy a better DAC and/or upgrade the quality of your streaming.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
I have always attributed the dry sound of digital to its flat 2 dimensional "sounds like mechanically reproduced" sonic signature.

Is this in your system or in other people’s systems?

I hear it as dry, but not necessarily two dimensional. There can be layering in depth, but images are often flat. I have not been exposed to what people are now calling “the best Digital“.

Is this in your system or in other people’s systems?

I hear it as dry, but not necessarily two dimensional. There can be layering in depth, but images are often flat. I have not been exposed to what people are now calling “the best Digital“.

I have been repeatedly exposed to SOTA level digital playback, and with the exception of the best high order DSD, all digital sounds more or less like a flawed artificial facsimile.

I have been repeatedly exposed to SOTA level digital playback, and with the exception of the best high order DSD, all digital sounds more or less like a flawed artificial facsimile.

I've heard a bunch of expensive digital that sounded like shit, or mediocre. That says nothing. Setup is everything.

You should not be experiencing this. Wallpaper sound is what I call it. Digital has the potential to be extremely vast in depth, height and width with phantom imaging that is nowhere close to wallpaper.

Tom

Then listen to analog?.

You might want to try Willie Nelson he has a load of great sounding recordings and IMO great music as well. Teatro and For the Girls as a starter
Teatro is awesome, produced by Daniel Lanois in his analog studio, with Emmylou Harris and two drummers ! :eek:

Dry sound is just one of a number of negatives that can be heard in poor digital recordings. Not everyone hears it of course. The folks telling you that the sound is not dry, you need a better system are either ignorant of the fact we all hear differently or are promoting digital for some reason.

Don't forget john denver have some great sounding lp's or garth brooks - no fences lp milesstone.

Dry sound is just one of a number of negatives that can be heard in poor digital recordings. Not everyone hears it of course. The folks telling you that the sound is not dry, you need a better system are either ignorant of the fact we all hear differently or are promoting digital for some reason.
Can you offer a description of dry sound?

You should not be experiencing this. Wallpaper sound is what I call it. Digital has the potential to be extremely vast in depth, height and width with phantom imaging that is nowhere close to wallpaper.

Tom

I never mentioned wallpaper.

Who cares about poor digital recordings? I care about good ones, which there are plenty of, especially classical and jazz.

i'd say 'dry' digital is a myth, OTOH every recording is different. but digital in and of itself does not = dry. but it's not warming up stuff either. so if the recording has edge, high quality digital will tell you the truth. but maybe the messenger (system) is taking you to 'dry'. or your sonic compass requires a tubed output stage to find digital happiness.

but look to the rest of the chain and make sure that is right before generalizing as to a source.

10 years ago i would have bought into this 'dry' perspective. but dacs have evolved beyond that.

just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Last edited:
high quality digital will tell you the truth.

Although it may be resolved enough to distinctly tell you if the recording is edgy or smooth, I have yet to hear totally realistic sound from digital.

It remains distinctly different from the real performance.

Although it may be resolved enough to distinctly tell you if the recording is edgy or smooth, I have yet to hear totally realistic sound from digital.

It remains distinctly different from the real performance.
That could be said of analog vinyl or tape in any 2 channel setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu