Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I hoped late 1980s type digital "glare" had been vanquished long ago? I think you may be focused on the more obvious sonic indicators of a digital recording? I am focusing on the perhaps subtle one I have always judged by.

I am talking about a subtle "dryness" which for me has always been the telltale of a digital recording of vocals versus an analog recording of vocals. Not all digital recordings have this dryness.
I don't think JJR is dry sounding and I agree with Lagonda that it is a good recording...especially for a "pop" recording.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
In my system i can always hear the difference on drums, analog recorded drums mostly have a "rightness" to them, most digital recorded drums have a little drum machine sound to them. :)
Do you mean for pop recordings? With good jazz recordings drums sound fine with digital...

Do you mean for pop recordings? With good jazz recordings drums sound fine with digital...
For most recordings, don't forget i don't have a all tube system to make it all sound nice ;) It's not bad sounding, just a hint, that disappears the moment a well recorded all analog recording is put on the TT.

Last edited:
I don't think JJR is dry sounding and I agree with Lagonda that it is a good recording...especially for a "pop" recording.
What is JJR?

If the vinyl played back on your system transforms the experience of that recording, more power to you :)
Thank you. But I have been talking only about the not dry point.

Here's another nice one. There are so many...

Listening to this version, on digital, it sounds great.

Well, it's much closer mic'ed. Is that what you mean by good recording? Close miking?

Joshua, Judges, Ruth......a Lyle Lovett album.
Ah, thank you.

Compared to the best analog vocals, I find it slightly -- but noticeably -- dry.

Thank you. But I have been talking only about the not dry point.

Well, it's much closer mic'ed. Is that what you mean by good recording? Close miking?

The Nat Cole recording does emphasize his voice, as it should.There are many good vocal recordings with a different balance. I still don't understand what "dry" means (other perhaps than being non-reverberant, but that really depends on the recording technique - nothing to do with digital vs analog), but it really does not matter. I'll move on to other topics...

Last edited:
Listening to a 1969 issue of Stone "Let it bleed" i have this recording on SACD, CD and later issue vinyl. Great tone on all instruments, and drums just pop and sound sooo real. None of my other releases sound this good. :) IMG_2836.jpeg

Ah, thank you.

Compared to the best analog vocals, I find it slightly -- but noticeably -- dry.
Lovett's vocals are naturally on the lean 'nasal' side anyway, most other male vocalist's have a more full 'chesty' type sound. so it might be as much a matter of liking that voice or not, as much as the source recording format influence.

my perception is that that recording itself is slightly 'lean' and 'spare' so when combined with Lovett's voice equals that semi-dryness. again, not so much a matter of being digital. and most of Lovett's recordings tend to be minimalist and lean sounding. his style. evidently he had enough going for him that Julia Roberts did marry him back in the day at her peak of popularity (she was 25 in 1993).

Reactions: Lagonda and hopkins
again, not so much a matter of being digital.
Fair enough!

I cannot be sure of attribution. All I know is that compared to my favorite analog recordings of vocals I am hearing something slightly dry.

I have always attributed the dry sound of digital to its flat 2 dimensional "sounds like mechanically reproduced" sonic signature.

As someone who comes from a part of the US where such music is popular...I can honestly say I can leave nearly all of it for you ;) .
You might want to try Willie Nelson he has a load of great sounding recordings and IMO great music as well. Teatro and For the Girls as a starter

Reactions: AudioHR and Lagonda
As someone who comes from a part of the US where such music is popular...I can honestly say I can leave nearly all of it for you ;) .

A number of years ago I told my since dear departed wife if she was going to listen to country to do so when I wasn't home, or I'd toss the equipment out the window.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu