Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Ok, let me make it clearer.

Had you written this:

"Here's a nice recording, the kind of sound I'm looking for but rarely find in commercial releases."

...instead of writing:

"Here's a nice digital recording, the kind of sound I'm looking for but rarely find in commercial digital releases."

...then I would not have replied that the format is not the issue. Understood?
No not understood.
I am saying it's not a format issue. The point of my post was that high quality digital recordings exist and should be widely available. I am saying I have an issue with the recording quality of digital recordings currently available, particularly on streaming services.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
No not understood.
I am saying it's not a format issue. The point of my post was that high quality digital recordings exist and should be widely available. I am saying I have an issue with the recording quality of digital recordings currently available, particularly on streaming services.
High quality digital streamed recordings are widely available, to say the least. If you’re having trouble it would seem to be system related.

The default position that it’s the format (digital) is misguided in my experience.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
High quality digital streamed recordings are widely available, to say the least. If you’re having trouble it would seem to be system related.

The default position that it’s the format (digital) is misguided in my experience.
Can you recommend some recent Jazz albums? Thanks!

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022

Re system, I've recently demoed Streamer DACs from:

Aavik
Cambridge Audio
Electrocompaniet
Eversolo
Hifi rose
Naim
TEAC

Are they all bad?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Re system, I've recently demoed Streamer DACs from:

Aavik
Cambridge Audio
Electrocompaniet
Eversolo
Hifi rose
Naim
TEAC

Are they all bad?
I’ve never tried any of them.

From my experience it can be an involved process to get the best out of streaming. Much of the effort involves removing noise from the system from where it enters your house all the way in to the server/streamer/dac you use.

I’ve spent more money than I wanted to getting to a really good place. But I think it comes down to getting good advice/ making good decisions and then being dedicated to reaching a goal. It doesn’t have to be super expensive (relatively speaking).

Reactions: Al M. and Rexp

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
No not understood.

So you basically have an issue with all the commercially available recordings you have listened to. Maybe you should simply give up on home stereo and spend your money attending live music shows :)

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
They have all been ruined by horrible amplification!

Whichever way we choose to listen to music, we are always going to find issues if we only focus on sound quality.

Someone obsessive about sound quality may end up only being truly satisfied listening to silence in an anechoic room!

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Whichever way we choose to listen to music, we are always going to find issues if we only focus on sound quality.

Someone obsessive about sound quality may end up only being truly satisfied listening to silence in an anechoic room!

Forget about digital anything for serious listening, and todays poor sounding live performances and stick to the tried and true formula of listening to good vinyl pressings!

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Forget about digital anything for serious listening, and todays poor sounding live performances and stick to the tried and true formula of listening to good vinyl pressings!

And what do you do if the music you truly enjoy is not available in a "good vinyl pressing"?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
You couldn’t be more wrong in my experience, but this is your entrenched view and I’m sure you’re going to stick with it!

I think you’re view is well known and now you’re just repeating yourself.

Reactions: twitch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It has been many years since I have heard of an unamplified acoustical performance in the US.

are you saying live classical in US is amplified? Maybe that explains why a friend who goes to many concerts there is using SS+Wilsons instead of SETs+horns

• Haha
Reactions: abeidrov and PeterA

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
You couldn’t be more wrong in my experience, but this is your entrenched view and I’m sure you’re going to stick with it!

I think you’re view is well known and now you’re just repeating yourself.

what cracks me up with regards to his view is I wonder if he even knows how long 'digital' has been a part of the production chain in the mastering and final steps in producing a 'analog' Lp ??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing