Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
You couldn’t be more wrong in my experience, but this is your entrenched view and I’m sure you’re going to stick with it!

I think you’re view is well known and now you’re just repeating yourself.

Well, I will admit that a record pressed from a good, well recorded high order DSD source can be acceptable to the serious listener, especially when a good studio tape is the original source.

But let me remind you of the fact that I am particularly sensitive to what digital does wrong.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, I will admit that a record pressed from a good, well recorded high order DSD source can be acceptable to the serious listener, especially when a good studio tape is the original source.

But let me remind you of the fact that I am particularly sensitive to what digital does wrong.

Or maybe you just don't have good enough digital playback gear.

Reactions: Kingsrule

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Or maybe you just don't have good enough digital playback gear.

You should tell that to the people who own the multimillion dollar systems I regularly listen to.

Yes, digital can sound acceptable when you throw enough money at it, but it doesn't sound like the real thing.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You should tell that to the people who own the multimillion dollar systems I regularly listen to.

Yes, digital can sound acceptable when you throw enough money at it, but it doesn't sound like the real thing.

I have a friend with a very expensive system who sold his Vivaldi stack when he heard a Schiit YGGY DAC.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Soundmann has an opinion. Good for him. We do not need to keep hearing it over and over and for what purpose? Talking about million $ systems does not impress me one bit as I have heard some that didn’t sound all that good.

I was making a point, and you seem to have have an axe to grind with me!

wil

Jul 22, 2015

Pushing the “I’m just more sensitive “ narrative is particularly un-convincing to me, not to mention coming off as pretty arrogant.

I’m confident I’m at least as intolerant of bad digital as you are. I can be somewhere playing bad digital and feel the physical need to escape ASAP! I’ve also heard analog reproduction that makes me want to take a hike as well.

However, neither experience makes me jump to narrow-minded dogmatic conclusions.

I’m happy for everyone who enjoys their vinyl. It does get annoying however when it seems that an integral part of the enjoyment for some is in continually confirming it’s supposed superiority to digital.

I guess if you’re going to read audio forums, the subject will just keep repeating itself over and over…

Reactions: facten and Al M.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
what cracks me up with regards to his view is I wonder if he even knows how long 'digital' has been a part of the production chain in the mastering and final steps in producing a 'analog' Lp ??

Digital recordings mastered to LP do sound better than the digital file , the purity of Digital playback is very unnatural and easily picked up by those sensitive to it ..

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing