Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
You mean the TDA1540 and TDA1541A (supposedly the only true R-2R ICs)?
The 1541 dac with some Nos mods ist fine sounding DAC i have heard 4 years with the Woodside(Radford UK) before tubes come in my life. A really good design like muscial fidelity digilog perfect to pimp. woodside-radford-audio-dac-tda1541-silver-crown-nos-chip.jpeg

Orginal 51191140266_2da3cf9d88_z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: D.Duttilleux

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
You must do some mods on this board e.g voltage ref then it will be even better. The noise level is then at the measurement limit. this generates more dynamic and a wider deeper soundstage. Mod site
The r ladder output is 1.4Volt zout 625 ohm i have test it with transformer coupled, with normal tubes and dht.
So many use that board lampizator, accuhorn ,lessloss and many more.
In the end i use Nos and this buffer ..wow that dynamic and cleaness is insane.
https://www.sjostromaudio.com/pages...joestroem-super-buffer-diamond-buffer?start=7
My dac View attachment 126505

Very nice.

Here is my Acuhorn, seeing as you mention them. Using a Soekris DAM1121-001 board.

Stunning and totally analog-sounding. Running 45 mesh globes. Internals rewired to Mundorf silver and gold wire.

1000007436.jpg

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Very nice.

Here is my Acuhorn, seeing as you mention them. Using a Soekris DAM1121-001 board.

Stunning and totally analog-sounding. Running 45 mesh globes. Internals rewired to Mundorf silver and gold wire.

View attachment 126557
Congrats ,I think the dac have the new oem board 1121 not dam 1021soekris.
You can no longer program filters yourself there, I no longer see an interface socket
unnamed (3).jpg

Reactions: D.Duttilleux

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
In light of this thread...

"Optimizing Morpheus DAC for use in conjunction with Neumann VMS80 (lacquer) and VMS82 (DMM)":

1710143818120.png 1710143832824.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This amount of good, but scarce chips in just 1 device makes me involuntarily think:
"With those precious AD chips multiple DACs could have been made, each with 80-90% of the (sound) quality".
The task was to keep the noise floor lower in order to keep the resolution as high as possible at low levels. Of course, two chips per channel also drive the transformer that drives the tube. but if there is a no supply shortage why not;)

Reactions: Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In light of this thread...

"Optimizing Morpheus DAC for use in conjunction with Neumann VMS80 (lacquer) and VMS82 (DMM)":

View attachment 126763 View attachment 126764
VMS is wanted in Germany and you can sell it expensively. The irony of the story 20 years ago no one wanted to buy LPs . They sold everything to Japan only to buy them back at twice the price today.

Selled lps 2004 ~1.4 million germany
2023 ~ 15 million germany

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
VMS is wanted in Germany and you can sell it expensively. The irony of the story 20 years ago no one wanted to buy LPs . They sold everything to Japan only to buy them back at twice the price today.

Selled lps 2004 ~1.4 million germany
2023 ~ 15 million germany
History repeating...

1710237316133.png

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
It's a schism: analog data represents a continuous function of time while a digital signal transmits data in a discrete function of time.
"Analog waves are smooth and continuous, digital waves are stepping, square, and discrete."

A similar phenomenon is at play with Class A compared to any other amp topology.

In terms of purity of the signal, there's no alternative to analog (+ Class A).

However, analog signals are more sensitive to noise and distortion. In addition, energy efficiency and convenience (storage) also play a role.

On top of this, there are also lesser-known phenomena, such as memory distortion (in solid-state devices).

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
AES paper (previously published by the author in the public domain):

Attachments

• aes-gperrot-1.png
    aes-gperrot-1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • aes-gperrot-2.png
    aes-gperrot-2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • aes-gperrot-3.png
    aes-gperrot-3.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • aes-gperrot-4.png
    aes-gperrot-4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • aes-gperrot-5.png
    aes-gperrot-5.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • aes-gperrot-6.png
    aes-gperrot-6.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mcsnare

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
In terms of purity of the signal, there's no alternative to analog (+ Class A).

However, analog signals are more sensitive to noise and distortion. In addition, energy efficiency and convenience (storage) also play a role.
If you are interested in all these aspects, you should check out ECDesigns' powerDAC-SX, which from a "technical" perspective is something really different and "novel". I've talked enough here about my own listening impressions. I know only of two other people who have this product. One is a dealer, who decided to commercialize it after listening to it. The other is an audiophile who uses Wolf Von Longa Son speakers, and basically replaced his whole setup (DAC + amplifiers + preamps) with the powerDAC. But YMMV, obviously. I don't really fully understand all the technical aspects. From a listener's perspective, it sounds "right" to me, but speaker association becomes critical, and here the distortions introduced (crossovers, speakers, room) are potentially of a much higher order. I think it's good to keep that in mind.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's a schism: analog data represents a continuous function of time while a digital signal transmits data in a discrete function of time.
"Analog waves are smooth and continuous, digital waves are stepping, square, and discrete."

Standard misunderstanding of digital theory. There are no "discrete steps":

It's explained in the first 9 minutes of the video, with irrefutable evidence from an oscilloscope. It is worth watching the entire video, however, since it debunks other things as well, such as "filtering artifacts".

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
If you are interested in all these aspects, you should check out ECDesigns' powerDAC-SX, which from a "technical" perspective is something really different and "novel". I've talked enough here about my own listening impressions. I know only of two other people who have this product. One is a dealer, who decided to commercialize it after listening to it. The other is an audiophile who uses Wolf Von Longa Son speakers, and basically replaced his whole setup (DAC + amplifiers + preamps) with the powerDAC. But YMMV, obviously. I don't really fully understand all the technical aspects. From a listener's perspective, it sounds "right" to me, but speaker association becomes critical, and here the distortions introduced (crossovers, speakers, room) are potentially of a much higher order. I think it's good to keep that in mind.
Earlier I wanted to ask how you like that DAC ;)

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Standard misunderstanding of digital theory. There are no "discrete steps":

It's explained in the first 9 minutes of the video, with irrefutable evidence from an oscilloscope. It is worth watching the entire video, however, since it debunks other things as well, such as "filtering artifacts".
Anyway, I think you'll agree that analog is continuous and digital is 'chopped'.

The basic principle: The red digital signal is the sampled and quantized representation of the gray analog signal. A digital signal consists of a sequence of samples, which in this case are integers: 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 6...
1710257001624.png

The confusion/misconception probably lies herein:

"The process of analog-to-digital conversion produces a digital signal.

The conversion process can be thought of as occurring in two steps:
- sampling, which produces a continuous-valued discrete-time signal, and
- quantization, which replaces each sample value with an approximation selected from a given discrete set (for example, by truncating or rounding)."

Interestingly: "The human brain cannot accurately be described as either analog or digital, but contains elements of both".

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Anyway, I think you'll agree that analog is continuous and digital is 'chopped'.

You think wrongly. Anyway, what does that even mean, 'chopped'?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think if i look in this thread 10 years from now the post count will be around 5758 with exactly the same standpoints .
How long is this ( dirty ) trench war gonna last ?
If either party just did some concessions in view points the matter could be settled fast lol. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dcathro

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I remember faculty meetings at Vanderbilt where two unwilling groups had been grafted into one department.

The few actually apolitical participants were frustrated rather than invigorated by the constant bickering.

I remember one conversational string that began “There is no such thing as a dead issue here.” This led to the epiphany that “There are no real issues here.” The whole odiferous mess was about power and who was superior. Neither side wanted to be the tail, but the end result was two tails … both trying to wag the dog.

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
I remember faculty meetings at Vanderbilt where two unwilling groups had been grafted into one department.

The few actually apolitical participants were frustrated rather than invigorated by the constant bickering.

I remember one conversational string that began “There is no such thing as a dead issue here.” This led to the epiphany that “There are no real issues here.” The whole odiferous mess was about power and who was superior. Neither side wanted to be the tail, but the end result was two tails … both trying to wag the dog.
Reminds of an explanation of dark matter > "it's not dark and it doesn't matter".

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

The basic principle: The red digital signal is the sampled and quantized representation of the gray analog signal. A digital signal consists of a sequence of samples, which in this case are integers: 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 6...
View attachment 126853

The confusion/misconception probably lies herein:

"The process of analog-to-digital conversion produces a digital signal.

The conversion process can be thought of as occurring in two steps:
- sampling, which produces a continuous-valued discrete-time signal, and
- quantization, which replaces each sample value with an approximation selected from a given discrete set (for example, by truncating or rounding)."

Interestingly: "The human brain cannot accurately be described as either analog or digital, but contains elements of both".

That visualization is nice, but it ignores that this is a really low-bit system. At 16-bit the signal-intensity steps are something like 65,000 + (allowing for a 96-dB dynamic range, higher with dither), so any inaccuracies are probably lower than vinyl-induced signal distortions, even though that medium is 'continuous' -- but with a lower dynamic range (not that this lower dynamic range matters much in practice).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing