Can one get Reference-Level Sound in a non-dedicated room?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does one absolutely need a dedicated room for reference-level sound? How close can one get to the ultimate potential of their system if they are not fortunate enough to have a dedicated room?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
By dedicated room I assume a professionally acoustically calibrated, EQ measured, treated, tuned hi-fi stereo music listening room? ...Also a professional music studio mixing recording room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would say no.... the key word here is symmetry. If the room is not symmetrical, then it's a non-starter. "If" you have a symmetrical room, then I would say it is possible if all other parameters are met.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Does one absolutely need a dedicated room for reference-level sound? How close can one get to the ultimate potential of their system if they are not fortunate enough to have a dedicated room?

Since every room is unique unto itself the answer can only be perhaps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Yes if the room is sufficiently big for good horns

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015

I don't think so.

There are quite a few parameters that are obtainable at reference level, that can be achieved without being in a dedicated (treated room). Although, some reasonable level of care needs to go into the room.

Reference level can not be obtained in a square room, or a room with highly reflective surfaces, for example.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Reference level sound to what kind of listener? The answer depends a lot on people preferences or needs.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Can one get Reference-Level Sound in a non-dedicated room?

What an exceedingly dangerous, non-commercial thought. That would be way too easy.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What's reference-level sound caesar?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Of course you can. as long as its not the bathroom :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The bigger question is, can you get reference sound in a common area without that area looking like it is dedicated to you and your stereo. :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I wrote a post basically saying that the OP was a non answerable question with too many non definable terms.

but on further reflection, it seems that the answer to this general question is that it depends on what sort of music you intend to be able to play at what might be generally considered reference level. and I agree with the 'symmetrical room' comment earlier. odd shaped or open floor plan rooms will fail at reality creation at some point as the music builds and scales. physical laws apply.

OTOH depending on signal path compromises one would put up with, many weird shaped rooms might be tamed with multi-channel dsp approaches such at Trinnov. personally I would not choose that way for music, but it can put lipstick on the pig. but the pig would remain.

no free lunches.

if you want it all at reference levels then you at least need symmetry to get into that realm. dedicated is such an open ended concept it's not helpful to try and quantitate.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
The bigger question is, can you get reference sound in a common area without that area looking like it is dedicated to you and your stereo. :D

LOL

I would like to know what everyone means by reference sound and what people believe classifies a system as reference?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you placed a small live acoustic band into your non dedicated room, do you get reference level sound?

Yup. Have done that minus a drum kit. The old system was already comparable.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If you placed a small live acoustic band into your non dedicated room, do you get reference level sound?

We have ..... and YES! And that ear opening experience is what absolutely convinced me to abandon trying to get any home audio system I could ever imagine (2 channel to 22 channel) to sound like a live event. It had nothing to do with reference sound level ..... but dynamics, acoustic shading, the "blat" of a trumpet. the "snap" of a drum stick on the drum head or cymbals. I could go on.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yup. Have done that minus a drum kit. The old system was already comparable.

Pity you didn’t include the drum kit. When you say your old system was comparable, how? IME, there really is still a wide gulf between the sound of ‘live’ and the reproduced, regardless of what size band or equipment/room is being listenened to.
With the drum kit in the room, I think the gulf would have been ever wider.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We have ..... and YES! And that ear opening experience is what absolutely convinced me to abandon trying to get any home audio system I could ever imagine (2 channel to 22 channel) to sound like a live event. It had nothing to do with reference sound level ..... but dynamics, acoustic shading, the "blat" of a trumpet. the "snap" of a drum stick on the drum head or cymbals. I could go on.

+1

I wouldn’t abandon tbe quest, but it is a long road to the goal. It is truly an eye opener to all once you do the example that you describe....well perhaps not all, lol.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We were rehearsing with the band for our grand family reunion a few years ago. The drum kit was never even considered. The drummer just brought a small electronic drum kit and an amp for time purposes. Well, the sax was right and so were the electric guitar and bass. Acoustic guitar too. Our singing, except for one cousin who is a recording artist, sucked. Dynamics were never an issue. Timbre was almost all there. It showed with the acoustic guitar where the old speakers still had more electric haze than I do now. It was such that I could listen through it but I always knew in the back of my head that it was there. Projection was different however. The sax in particular was more akin to a good mono recording rather than a solo in stereo. I don't think that point will change much even with the new system. Stereo will be stereo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing