Can we actually discuss What is Best on this forum?

I challenge you to a duel!
Corvette does not compete in same class. 0 -60 times are nice. what happens in the corners.
Which is not to say I don't love the Corvette.

Reactions: DaveC
I challenge you to a duel!
Dave, If you are intent upon ‘Stepping Out’ might I interest you in my vintage tho CE certified ballistic vest ? We might work out some sort of swap deal for a pair of your most excellent RCA’s !

F85FFF3B-6901-4952-ADFF-8AD3E8A2B99D.jpeg

The new Corvette is definitely the best car ever. Faster 0-60 than supercars 5x the price, made in the USA, better looking than any Italian car, and it can carry 2 sets of golf clubs. It also has the best color ever, the fluorescent yellow reflects the most light and is the safest. And it does all this for around $75k, a great value. I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with this, it's FACT. All the above are FACTS, darn it! IT"S THE BESTEST CAR EVER! NO BETTER CAR HAS EVER EXISTED, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!

this reminds me of my childhood, where we used to play an auto quartet., 20 seconds faster than the corvette at the green hell(nürburgring).:cool: my yellow answer cayman gt 4rs.ok corvette is 40000€ cheaper

25_porsche-718c-gt4-rs-ok-1.jpg
P.S street cars best list

Last edited:
Pamela is Candian

Kim Kardashian then who famously said when asked if she has any tattoos, “No, of course not. Would you put a bumper sticker on a Bentley”.
personalized tags?

The new Corvette is definitely the best car ever. Faster 0-60 than supercars 5x the price, made in the USA, better looking than any Italian car, and it can carry 2 sets of golf clubs. It also has the best color ever, the fluorescent yellow reflects the most light and is the safest. And it does all this for around $75k, a great value. I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with this, it's FACT. All the above are FACTS, darn it! IT"S THE BESTEST CAR EVER! NO BETTER CAR HAS EVER EXISTED, CAN'T YOU SEE THAT!

Dave I don't know if your are being sarcastic or making humor, but your claim does caught my attention. The doubt part in my head did not actually come up first but the positive side of thinking it could be the best as you said did. Great looking car with spectacular performance to back up. Practical. The price is more approachable too. So why not. I am not saying this because I amin the camp of supporting people to say "the best" to stress their confident level.

Dave I don't know if your are being sarcastic or making humor, but your claim does caught my attention. The doubt part in my head did not actually come up first but the positive side of thinking it could be the best as you said did. Great looking car with spectacular performance to back up. Practical. The price is more approachable too. So why not. I am not saying this because I amin the camp of supporting people to say "the best" to stress their confident level.

You're killing me Tang... ;)

That was supposed to be absurd. Sports cars and audio are similar, everyone wants to go fast and look good just like everyone wants their system to sound real. There's both many kinds of cars and many kinds of speakers that achieve that objective.

Everything I said about the Corvette may be a total non-issue to other people... some may hate the looks, hate yellow paint, not care at all about 0-60 times, and not care if a GT4 costs almost double if they like it better. Would that make a red GT4 better? Even though they're very different they put down very similar lap times.

Like most folks here I've heard a lot of good systems that are very different but similarly competent. Like cars, audio systems are all about compromise and with both you get to make choices that fit your priorities. I don't think it's possible to say what's best but otoh some things are clearly better than others, in the realm of cost-no-object gear of similarly ambitious and competent design I think it's hard to make a definitive judgement. Also like cars there can be breakthrough products like the Porsche 959 and McLaren Senna (and my new interconnect cable ;))

Also like cars if I had a large enough budget and space I'd have multiple audio systems, maybe YG Sonya XV for symphonic, 3-way horns and SET amps for simpler music, and maybe some of those Alsyvox panels too. :)

You're killing me Tang... ;)

That was supposed to be absurd. Sports cars and audio are similar, everyone wants to go fast and look good just like everyone wants their system to sound real. There's both many kinds of cars and many kinds of speakers that achieve that objective.

Everything I said about the Corvette may be a total non-issue to other people... some may hate the looks, hate yellow paint, not care at all about 0-60 times, and not care if a GT4 costs almost double if they like it better. Would that make a red GT4 better? Even though they're very different they put down very similar lap times.

Like most folks here I've heard a lot of good systems that are very different but similarly competent. Like cars, audio systems are all about compromise and with both you get to make choices that fit your priorities. I don't think it's possible to say what's best but otoh some things are clearly better than others, in the realm of cost-no-object gear of similarly ambitious and competent design I think it's hard to make a definitive judgement. Also like cars there can be breakthrough products like the Porsche 959 and McLaren Senna (and my new interconnect cable ;))

Also like cars if I had a large enough budget and space I'd have multiple audio systems, maybe YG Sonya XV for symphonic, 3-way horns and SET amps for simpler music, and maybe some of those Alsyvox panels too. :)

Great post, Dave.

But remember, "compromise" is a dirty word.

There used to be a time, Peter, when you were interested in genuine discussion.

Yet it appears quite evident that nowadays you are only interested anymore in spreading the gospel of Natural Sound(tm).

Someone unknown to me and without my permission inserted the photograph of someone else’s AS 2000 turntable at the beginning of my opening post.

I had nothing to do with that and I excluded photographs specifically from the opening post because of the inference some would make. That was an unfortunate insertion without my knowledge.

I was not aware that posts could be edited by others after the fact.

This thread has nothing to do with natural sound or my system specifically. If that’s how you read it, I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
*You* don't hear any compromises or trade-offs. That is subjective, Peter, because auditory perception is subjective.

(Apart from the fact that it is highly debatable if there can be a component without compromises or trade-offs -- any component will give a particular perspective on sound, and not to everyone this perspective will be entirely "right" and optimal on all recordings.)

On the other hand, there is clear consensus that the James Webb space telescope is the best ever. This is supported by the objectively most resolving and most far reaching space images ever. There is little room for interpretation to the contrary.

Al, if there being "little room for interpretation to the contrary" is the standard, we can read reports from those who have heard the Neumann cartridge and compared it to other top cartridges they have heard. The reports I have read seem to suggest that it is favored. I have never read a single report that suggests otherwise. I consider those reports plus my own direct experience and comparisons, and I reach the same conclusion. There does seem little room here and that is why I made the claim with confidence. People are free to disagree, but I would simply ask what cartridge they would consider to be better and why, and we could then have a productive discussion about it.

If I read somewhere someone claiming a particular cartridge was better than the Neumann, it would surely get my attention. I would want to know more and why he thought so.

And that is why I think such discussions of what people consider to be the best are important. The next step is understanding why something is considered to be best. Just as with the Webb telescope and the far reaches of space, the Neumann allows me, and apparently most others who have heard it, to hear more of what is in those grooves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elliot G.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing