Capital Audiofest 2023

Ron, is my perspective off? It looks like Von Schweikert Audio had the new VR-55 MkII in a smaller room than the Endeavor SE.
I’m not Ron, but I was there and you are correct. 55’s in smaller room but the Endeavors did not disappoint.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Are they in the Potomac Room? The Endeavors can fill that space very easily. I heard Damon’s personal pair there in (IIRC) 2017 and bought them* right out from under him! :D

*Something I try to express my gratitude for every time we talk. He didn’t have to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: treitz3
Ron, is my perspective off? It looks like Von Schweikert Audio had the new VR-55 MkII in a smaller room than the Endeavor SE.
The Endeavors are in a giant room.

The endeavors are sounding great. As are the VS55

I haven't been focusing on that. Most exhibitors in most rooms add some kind of acoustic treatment.

Yes, but you made a comment that Eliot’‘s room was the best sounding room at any show you’ve ever been to and so I was just curious about if you noticed a difference walking into the room and just listening to voices.

If not, on what is your earlier comment based?

Yes, but you made a comment that Eliot’‘s room was the best sounding room at any show you’ve ever been to and so I was just curious about if you noticed a difference walking into the room and just listening to voices.

If not, on what is your earlier comment based?
What was playing in “Eliot’s room?” I have been at the Show and heard some amazing systems both $$$$ and $.

Yes, but you made a comment that Eliot’‘s room was the best sounding room at any show you’ve ever been to

Peter,

I did not write that. I didn't refer to the sound of the room at all. And I wrote "maybe."

i wrote: "Elliot has maybe the best actual physical room of any show I've been to." (emphasis added)

Reactions: KeithR
What was playing in “Eliot’s room?” I have been at the Show and heard some amazing systems both $$$$ and $.

Today Elliot played one of his favorite Paul Simon tracks, and he played for me a track from Soular Energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: sc53
Yep, we're doing it again this year!
We did 5 rooms last year, but this year we'll only do... 4 :)
All the way up on the 8th floor, look us up!
Showing, among other things;

Boenicke W13SE+ speakers
YG Carmel 3 speakers
Estelon Aura speakers
Vinnie Rossi electronics
MSB Select w/ Select Digital Director
darTZeel LHC-208 mkII
Merason DAC1 mkII
I was in that room today and OMG you nailed it. I wanted to hear the Vinnie Rossi but the Boenicke swept me away. I’m easy but this was some good sound.

Peter,

I did not write that. I didn't refer to the sound of the room at all. And I wrote "maybe."

i wrote: "Elliot has maybe the best actual physical room of any show I've been to." (emphasis added)

ok thank you. I was not clear but we are talking about the same thing. Not the system sound in the room, but the sound of the room itself.

On what do you base that comment Ron? What is your criteria for judging the actual physical room which is exactly what I thought you meant because you mentioned the wrap around curtain, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
What is your criteria for judging the actual physical room

I think 20 to 25 feet wide, 30 to 35 feet long, 10 to 15 feet high are good dimensions for a listening room.

Reactions: Al M.
thought you were implying something else when you said it was a good idea to rent the full curtain.

Add a couple of sprinkles of light absorption to the front section of a well-dimensioned hotel meeting room and you have the makings of a promising audio demo room at a hotel audio show.

My favorite rooms:

Expensive (in order):
mc audiotech / vpi
von schweikert vr-55 (tied for second place)
yg / vinnie rossi (tied for second place)
audio group denmark
von schweikert endeavor
linn
zu definition6
estelon aura
audio note

Obtainable (in order):
heretic
dynaudio confidence 20
spendor classic
quad
mission 770
nenuphar mini

Interesting:
songer
wolf von langa
hollis audio
perlisten

Disappointments (have heard them sound amazing elsewhere):
avantgarde
estelon xb
qln

Reactions: AudioGod
I was in that room today and OMG you nailed it. I wanted to hear the Vinnie Rossi but the Boenicke swept me away. I’m easy but this was some good sound.
Thank you! I've been in the Boenicke room most of the day, and it's amazing how it has improved from day 1. I bet tomorrow it's going to sound even better, only to have to tear everything down after 4pm :(
Anyway, if you're around CAF tomorrow, please stop by and say hi!

alex

Reactions: ctydwn

Reactions: sc53
Hello, Ron and good afternoon to you. Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously through your observations, videos, wrap-ups and commentary. Folks don't actually realize how much work goes into covering an event like this, while actually trying to listen and enjoy the event as well. It is a daunting task and you have outdone yourself over the past three days.

My hat is off to you for providing a bit of insight to those who were not able to make it to this event.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing