CD Sales in 2011 Represent 76% of Total 2011 Album Sales in UK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Today's UK Press Assocation: (Note the comment in bold about CD Sales representing 76% of all album sales...so declining but still strongly favored.)

"Music sales have continued to fall in the UK despite Adele's record 21 becoming the highest-selling album of the 21st century, according to figures released by the BPI.

The industry has seen a growth in digital downloads of singles and albums as well as a resurgent interest in vinyl.

Combined sales of digital and physical albums fell overall by 5.6% to 113.2 million in 2011.

Digital album sales rose 26.6% to 26.6 million, while sales of albums on CD declined 12.6% year on year to 86.2 million in total.

According to the BPI figures, the CD remained the favoured format for UK album buyers in 2011, accounting for 76.1% of total sales compared with a 23.5% market share for digital and 0.3% for vinyl.

Digital album downloads have grown, with 15 albums selling more than 100,000 digital copies in 2011. Sales of vinyl LPs rose by more than a third (43.7%) during 2011 to 337,000, their highest tally since 2005.

The UK singles market saw sales records being broken for the fourth year in a row with singles sales increasing by 10% to 177.9 million in 2011. The vast majority (99.3%) were sold as digital tracks and bundles. A total of 1.1 million CD singles were sold in 2011, representing just 0.6% of the total.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not surprising, but it's good to have the raw data, thanks Lloyd!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am surprised actually. Digital downloads give the consumer far more convenience than waiting for a CD to arrive. And we know more people don't care about fidelity differences. So why is CD holding on strong?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Some folks may still like the physical ownership of the CD. I know I do. The general public has always had liner notes, credits and what not for decades to enjoy reading while listening. With downloaded music, they have nothing. Especially when their HD crashes and they then realize they forgot to back the HD up.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Would be great to have a user survey of general public to find out. I personally buy nothing but CDs but that is because I want the full fidelity and broad/easy choices for purchase. If I could get the download at the same quality and the same place I shop, I would opt for the download and not care about liner notes and such. I have gotten to the point where I don't even remember the cover art for what I play! So bad that once I bought the same CD again, thinking I didn't own it! :eek:

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
What the numbers don't capture is the amount of illegal downloading. So it's hard to get a real handle on what it all means in terms of total music consumption.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Assuming these figures do not include illegal downloading and copying for friends...that means the decline in CD sales is perhaps even that much more impressive. People are still paying retail for CDs by the tens of millions per year (in the UK).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am surprised actually. Digital downloads give the consumer far more convenience than waiting for a CD to arrive. And we know more people don't care about fidelity differences. So why is CD holding on strong?

Another fact is that while many people download some singles, many decide to go for the full CD if they like the artist/song, I bet that thanks to iTunes people is listening to far more different options/artists/genres than 5 or 10 years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing