Center Stage 2

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I have always followed Joe's recommendation that all other tweaks be removed from the system so you can truly understand what Center Stage does. I am sure there must be people who are using both. My Extreme sits on a set of CS2M 1.5's which sits on Joes CMS platform . I am more than happy with the sonic results
If a platform like the Daiza is considered a tweak it would seem you're implying that every other substance or rack other than a CMS platform is considered a tweak to be avoided with CMS footers? Tweak is a pretty meaningless word in this context. My question, which I've put to Joe on another thread, relates to whether a Daiza -- panzerholtz wood with metal footers and a compliant foam between the wood and metal footers -- would likely be a complimentary combination with the CMS footer, or not.

Reactions: nonesup

mageak

Jan 3, 2022
howdy im going to buy some of these just wondering which one and what to start with.

sbooster psu
gigawatt pc 3 se evo
ayon s10 sig mk2 v2
vitus sia 025

here my stuff atm

Attachments

• 16409019736527312471941818798331.thumb.jpg.f828aef1fabee5b2c61f71df711851fd.jpg
    16409019736527312471941818798331.thumb.jpg.f828aef1fabee5b2c61f71df711851fd.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone

I just bought a set of the Critical Mass System’s footers CS2M’s (I put them under my Pass Labs XA30.8 amp) and I would never remove them. Once you’ve heard what they can do, you won’t want to be without them. We’ve all tried many of the footers over the years and some were better than others. I’ve found these to be truly different and much better. I’ve recently put them up against Stillpoints Ultra 6’s, Wilson Pedestals, and the Gaia isoacoustics. To my ears, in my system, the CS2M’s just sounded better.

I would recommend starting with one set (4) under one component only. This will make it easier to hear the benefits. They are not designed to go under a turntable or speakers. There is a set made specifically for speaker. I put my new set under my amp (Pass XA30.8). The other brands give immediate results, the CS2M’s do not. They require some patients. There is a settling in period that can take about one to two weeks (some less time, some more) of playing music until they do their thing. The sound of your system will get worse at first. Then you will notice slight improvements. It’s the craziest thing. I don’t understand why, but I hear ir. After the settling in period, you’ll be rewarded with improved clarity, transparency, image focus, and tighter more articulate bass than you’ve ever heard from your system. There is this relaxed, effortless musicality that wasn’t present before you put them in.

With the other brands, I found there was both good and bad. For example, with the Stillpoints, I heard tighter bass but at the expense of less accurate timbre. With the Wilsons, I heard a slightly analytical edge. With the CS2M’s, all positive and absolutely no negative. I bought another set for under my dac and found the affect to be cumulative. I now have them under all my electronics. I understand Joe is working on a set designed specifically for turntables. Can’t wait. Happy new year.

Best regards
Scot

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sounds like Jay needs some 2's , as the CS 1.5's got his worst product of 2021.

@ around 15:25

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
howdy im going to buy some of these just wondering which one and what to start with.

sbooster psu
gigawatt pc 3 se evo
ayon s10 sig mk2 v2
vitus sia 025

here my stuff atm
I would use CS2M size 1.0 under all components except your amp and I would use a CS2M size 1.5 under your amp

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Sounds like Jay needs some 2's , as the CS 1.5's got his worst product of 2021.

@ around 15:25

Wow. Epic. I love it! After years and years and years and years of pretending, I finally understand the meaning of the phrase, "Stupid is as Stupid does". What Stupid does is create a report on feet before they are settled and present the noise as "professional discovery ". And what Stupid is, is not realizing how stupid that is. The settling process is nasty.This is stipulated. To pretend this is new news is, well, stupid.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: adyc and XV-1

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Wow. Epic. I love it! After years and years and years and years of pretending, I finally understand the meaning of the phrase, "Stupid is as Stupid does". What Stupid does is create a report on feet before they are settled and present the noise as "professional discovery ". And what Stupid is, is not realizing how stupid that is. The settling process is nasty.This is stipulated. To pretend this is new news is, well, stupid.
In the comments section below his video he states he had the footers in place for "months." Maybe just a bad fit for some reason.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
In the comments section below his video he states he had the footers in place for "months." Maybe just a bad fit for some reason.
I enjoy some of his videos and discussions, but seriously doubt he let them settle in any particular configuration for "months". He changes gear like the rest of us change underwear.

Personally the settling process sounds a bit dauting, and gives me pause as a vinyl-only weekend listener. It would take a LONG time to season the feet with music here, and I don't particularly want to burn hours on any of my cartridges going from good to bad to good again. Is there no way to perform "seasoning" at the factory to reduce user settling time? I have a CMS Maxxum rack & Diamond filters. Does it ease settling time for feet on those CMS filters?

Steve Williams

I have a CMS Maxxum rack & Diamond filters. Does it ease settling time for feet on those CMS filters?

the short answer is yes. I have all of my components in CMS rack and under each component is a set of CS feet. My settle time has always been quicker than other users

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
That's doubtful, in my opinion. At the time I developed the CS2 1.5, I had the stereo version of those Boulders in my test product rotation. Mine took 30 days to settle, which I attributed to the very thick bottom plate of the amp. It's a great amp, it just took forever to settle down. Left in, the feet would have settled with the amps based on my personal experience.

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
I enjoy some of his videos and discussions, but seriously doubt he let them settle in any particular configuration for "months". He changes gear like the rest of us change underwear.

Personally the settling process sounds a bit dauting, and gives me pause as a vinyl-only weekend listener. It would take a LONG time to season the feet with music here, and I don't particularly want to burn hours on any of my cartridges going from good to bad to good again. Is there no way to perform "seasoning" at the factory to reduce user settling time? I have a CMS Maxxum rack & Diamond filters. Does it ease settling time for feet on those CMS filters?
It's definitely faster with the racks...similar DNA. But it is real and unavoidable to an unknown degree at the onset.

Actually, no, this isn't possible because settling is component/system specific. They gotta' be under yours.....

Reactions: mulveling

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Thanks for this really useful thread. I had a question- I know that there are benefits to using 4 rather than 3 footers. I actually have 8 CMS 0.8 footers and a relatively heavy power amp (23kg). Is there any benefit to using >4 CMS footers?

PS, I also have a symposium board, but one of the lower range that has an aluminium top rather than a stainless steel one. It works great with the CMS footers :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks for this really useful thread. I had a question- I know that there are benefits to using 4 rather than 3 footers. I actually have 8 CMS 0.8 footers and a relatively heavy power amp (23kg). Is there any benefit to using >4 CMS footers?

PS, I also have a symposium board, but one of the lower range that has an aluminium top rather than a stainless steel one. It works great with the CMS footers :)
If 3 is better than 4, why stop at 4? Have you tried 4 CMS footers beneath the Symposium board, then 4 more CMS footers atop the Symposium with the component resting upon this top layer of footers?

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I am liking these under my EMM Labs DV2!

Reactions: mountainjoe

Steve Williams

I am liking these under my EMM Labs DV2!

I would suggest you consider using the CS footers without the damperson top of the unit. Joe always recommends removing other tweaks in the system I think you should try without them and compare. Also it is difficult to tell from your picture but it looks as if the CS footers are under the stock feet of the EMM unit. The CS footers NEVER go under the stock feet

Reactions: gfroman

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, Steve.
I will adjust accordingly.....

Steve Williams

Yes.....please

Place the footers somewhere around but not under the stock feet. The CS footer should be taller than the stock footer so that the stock footer is raised off its platform and the unit is supported on the platform by the CS feet. Also remove the dampers from the top of the unit. Wait for the settle in and you will definitely hear a better sound. Make sure all 4 feet are firmly touching the underside of the EMM. If only 3 are firmly attached try moving the 4th around to find an adequate spot to place the footer. If one isn't found, use the shims that came with the feet

Reactions: gfroman

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing