CH Precision 10 series

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Wow! My M10 and L10 stereo units are on their way and I’m even more excited after hearing your initial impressions!
Buckle up your in for quite a ride!

Reactions: nattonrice

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Congrats Carlos and I assume Stirling is coming to make a visit. Let me know when you are ready for a Wadax addition :)
Thanks Elliot. Yes hoping to set a date with Stirling in June.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Well, Elliot, your post on the L10 has prompted me to share my series 10 impressions. I was running with D'Agostino Momentum HD pre and S250 stereo amps in a system that I had spent the last year dialing in. That system config sounded pretty darned great, just music all the time, and I wondered why I'm not leaving well enough alone. But I'd read of some real love for the M1.1 vs. the S250, and the M10 was clearly a significant step up from that, and I'm an audio nut, so.....

I got the M10 in my system on January 25, and it was already "run in" by my dealer's use, not much break in would be needed. The L10 arrived February 25 as a new unit needing some run in. Right away I heard some excellences in the M10 vs. the S250 while being fed by the Momentum HD, but it did move my system balance off center just a tad, as any important component change can do. When I added the L10 into the system, I again could hear some real potential excellences, but that second change moved the system voice too far for me, making my system not so musically engaging. Clearly, and not surprisingly, I had some system work to do to get this new grouping to sing. I think the principal challenge for me is that the TAD speakers I run need a little enriching for my tastes, and the D'Agostino gear seems voiced with a little bit of just that, whereas the CH Precision gear does not - - it seems dead neutral. Tubes, cables, tweaks would need to be evaluated, it seemed.

The immediately apparent excellences are in the unraveling of musical information in every line, a greater digging into musical info in general, a sense of a clearer voice to the music, and BIG space. When I hooked up the L10 working with Ralph Sorrentino on the phone with me I tried a favorite orchestral test track and was immediately struck by the nuanced presentation of massed strings, with tonal separation and sense of voices in the violin "choir", as it were. I'd never heard it like that before on any system. The CH Presion gear really works a treat there! And this same revelation of inner detail on a micro-harmonic level is done on all music. You simply "feel" a clearer sense of the voices and musical lines. And there is much space with more holographic fill, again feeling very clear and natural. My D'Ag based system was pretty good at staging, too, but the CH is levels above.

I am mostly listening to my digital these days (really busy with work, so flipping albums feels like too much???), and I started rolling tubes in my Pacific DAC. I have 10 rectifiers and 10 pairs of quality DHT's to try, so I rolled 'em. I started working with the richer sounding ones (300B types) and assorted rectifiers, and while they got more richness into things, they all were sounding like "too much of a good thing", rounding, dulling and thickening too much. Then I remembered: I should try those KR 242's and PX-25's that couldn't work well with the D'Agostino HD pre because it over-drove it causing distortion (same problem with an ARC Ref 40 that was in the house before that...). Ked kept emphatically stating that, if your preamp can work happily with the 242's, it's tough to beat them in a Pacific. Well, the L10 can handle the 242's just fine, and HOLY CRAP was Ked ever right! Suddenly, my system is sounding crazy great, like "laugh out loud" outstanding all the time! My wife is NOT grooving on this, as I'm being too absent.

The really interesting thing to me is that the 242's are definitely not a richer sounding DHT, and are, in fact, a bit to the leaner/brighter side, IME. Their addition should have been a nudge in the entirely wrong direction, I had presumed. Regardless, my system now sounds as "right" as it ever has, with space all over the place (ah, Sam Tellig!), gobs of musical detail, and all sounding harmonically so right! I'm now thinking that my TAD's aren't "too bright", say, but that they show what your system delivers, and the CH Precision gear just delivers a purer signal that doesn't get your ears on alert, but, rather, lets your ears relax and enjoy the music when it's there. I usually attend 30+ classical concerts a year when a pandemic doesn't reign, and my wife plays a beautiful melodious Steinway A3 in our living room daily. Live, unamplified music is a constant in my life. With these references always at hand, I find that I respond to a sense of timbre in musical reproduction more than anything else. My system with this 10 series is delivering beautifully developed timbre that is so natural sounding to my ears. And, even though there is no mistaking recording quality or lack thereof, it isn't punishing to listen to poorly recorded stuff (if you like the music!) - - that is far from a given, IME, and quite a blessing in this case.

Well, I've waxed enthusiastic longer than I had planned. Bottom line: I'm confident that I'm only starting on the refinement of my system with the 10 series in place, but I am just tickled that I took the plunge. Now I've got to hear those Goebel speakers you've got there...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well, Elliot, your post on the L10 has prompted me to share my series 10 impressions. I was running with D'Agostino Momentum HD pre and S250 stereo amps in a system that I had spent the last year dialing in. That system config sounded pretty darned great, just music all the time, and I wondered why I'm not leaving well enough alone. But I'd read of some real love for the M1.1 vs. the S250, and the M10 was clearly a significant step up from that, and I'm an audio nut, so.....

I got the M10 in my system on January 25, and it was already "run in" by my dealer's use, not much break in would be needed. The L10 arrived February 25 as a new unit needing some run in. Right away I heard some excellences in the M10 vs. the S250 while being fed by the Momentum HD, but it did move my system balance off center just a tad, as any important component change can do. When I added the L10 into the system, I again could hear some real potential excellences, but that second change moved the system voice too far for me, making my system not so musically engaging. Clearly, and not surprisingly, I had some system work to do to get this new grouping to sing. I think the principal challenge for me is that the TAD speakers I run need a little enriching for my tastes, and the D'Agostino gear seems voiced with a little bit of just that, whereas the CH Precision gear does not - - it seems dead neutral. Tubes, cables, tweaks would need to be evaluated, it seemed.

The immediately apparent excellences are in the unraveling of musical information in every line, a greater digging into musical info in general, a sense of a clearer voice to the music, and BIG space. When I hooked up the L10 working with Ralph Sorrentino on the phone with me I tried a favorite orchestral test track and was immediately struck by the nuanced presentation of massed strings, with tonal separation and sense of voices in the violin "choir", as it were. I'd never heard it like that before on any system. The CH Presion gear really works a treat there! And this same revelation of inner detail on a micro-harmonic level is done on all music. You simply "feel" a clearer sense of the voices and musical lines. And there is much space with more holographic fill, again feeling very clear and natural. My D'Ag based system was pretty good at staging, too, but the CH is levels above.

I am mostly listening to my digital these days (really busy with work, so flipping albums feels like too much???), and I started rolling tubes in my Pacific DAC. I have 10 rectifiers and 10 pairs of quality DHT's to try, so I rolled 'em. I started working with the richer sounding ones (300B types) and assorted rectifiers, and while they got more richness into things, they all were sounding like "too much of a good thing", rounding, dulling and thickening too much. Then I remembered: I should try those KR 242's and PX-25's that couldn't work well with the D'Agostino HD pre because it over-drove it causing distortion (same problem with an ARC Ref 40 that was in the house before that...). Ked kept emphatically stating that, if your preamp can work happily with the 242's, it's tough to beat them in a Pacific. Well, the L10 can handle the 242's just fine, and HOLY CRAP was Ked ever right! Suddenly, my system is sounding crazy great, like "laugh out loud" outstanding all the time! My wife is NOT grooving on this, as I'm being too absent.

The really interesting thing to me is that the 242's are definitely not a richer sounding DHT, and are, in fact, a bit to the leaner/brighter side, IME. Their addition should have been a nudge in the entirely wrong direction, I had presumed. Regardless, my system now sounds as "right" as it ever has, with space all over the place (ah, Sam Tellig!), gobs of musical detail, and all sounding harmonically so right! I'm now thinking that my TAD's aren't "too bright", say, but that they show what your system delivers, and the CH Precision gear just delivers a purer signal that doesn't get your ears on alert, but, rather, lets your ears relax and enjoy the music when it's there. I usually attend 30+ classical concerts a year when a pandemic doesn't reign, and my wife plays a beautiful melodious Steinway A3 in our living room daily. Live, unamplified music is a constant in my life. With these references always at hand, I find that I respond to a sense of timbre in musical reproduction more than anything else. My system with this 10 series is delivering beautifully developed timbre that is so natural sounding to my ears. And, even though there is no mistaking recording quality or lack thereof, it isn't punishing to listen to poorly recorded stuff (if you like the music!) - - that is far from a given, IME, and quite a blessing in this case.

Well, I've waxed enthusiastic longer than I had planned. Bottom line: I'm confident that I'm only starting on the refinement of my system with the 10 series in place, but I am just tickled that I took the plunge. Now I've got to hear those Goebel speakers you've got there...
A big Congratulations!
The L10/M10 will bring you into the concert hall!
:cool:

Reactions: cmarin and ctydwn

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Well, I've waxed enthusiastic longer than I had planned. Bottom line: I'm confident that I'm only starting on the refinement of my system with the 10 series in place, but I am just tickled that I took the plunge. Now I've got to hear those Goebel speakers you've got there

you are welcome anytime to come visit my place. We will be showing the Marquis speakers with the 10 series and the Wadax at Axpona in a few weeks. I realize this is a show and not the same as an established mature install but we will give it the best attempt possible to show the capabilities. Hope to see you somewhere :)

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Today i did a very exciting listening with a friend in my room,my friend has Jamo 909 and Quad 63 and he was shocked listening my system that today sounded in a incredible way.

I have L1,P1 and one X1 with 2 board and M1 mono

Cannot imagine with L10 and M 10 and with P 1 alone with his X1
I never bought a second X1 because knew the new L 10 arriving,so now arrived and have to start to think

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Well, I've waxed enthusiastic longer than I had planned. Bottom line: I'm confident that I'm only starting on the refinement of my system with the 10 series in place, but I am just tickled that I took the plunge. Now I've got to hear those Goebel speakers you've got there

you are welcome anytime to come visit my place. We will be showing the Marquis speakers with the 10 series and the Wadax at Axpona in a few weeks. I realize this is a show and not the same as an established mature install but we will give it the best attempt possible to show the capabilities. Hope to see you somewhere :)
I am going to Axpona, and I will connect with you there!

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
We will be showing with 10 series at Pacific Audio Fest and I think I am going to show the Noblesse at this event . The room is large enough and it should be fun and great sounding at the same time.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Very nice write up, Eliot! And very well deserved, I'm sure. I know I really enjoyed the same combo behind the Goebel Marquis at Axpona, and would love to hear the larger Noblesse in their place, as point of comparison. I'm still sorting stuff in my system just now, but I do harbor thoughts of flying to Florida for further listening to the Goebel's... That Hurford Bach Passacaglia performance is always the first one on my "evaluation" playlist - - great music, masterfully played, and very well recorded. It alone tells me a whole lot about a system.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Very nice write up, Eliot! And very well deserved, I'm sure. I know I really enjoyed the same combo behind the Goebel Marquis at Axpona, and would love to hear the larger Noblesse in their place, as point of comparison. I'm still sorting stuff in my system just now, but I do harbor thoughts of flying to Florida for further listening to the Goebel's... That Hurford Bach Passacaglia performance is always the first one on my "evaluation" playlist - - great music, masterfully played, and very well recorded. It alone tells me a whole lot about a system.
Thank you. We had better sound here by a large margin than Axpona this year. However I know how to make better sound at Axpona next time and next stop is CAPFEST.
I do not know what I will show at Axpona , we shall see, but Marquis with Sovereign subs is up for CAPFEST this year.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Newest episode

Reactions: cmarin

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Very good amplifiers .
Amazing definition / detail.
I listened for about an hour in total
One of the 4 - 5 set ups in munchen moc / hifideluxe where i came back to for an extensive listen

Attachments

• 20220522_143815.jpg
    20220522_143815.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220522_142152.jpg
    20220522_142152.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220522_143534.jpg
    20220522_143534.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 23

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very good amplifiers .
Amazing definition / detail.
I listened for about an hour in total
One of the 4 - 5 set ups in munchen moc / hifideluxe where i came back to for an extensive listen
Thoughts on the CHM10 vs Gryphon Apex, Robert Koda K160 and Boulder 3060 which you have spoken highly of?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would say CH , Gryphon APEX , Robert Koda , FM acoustics and Halcro are all great solid state amps

Pilium is nice/ neutral sounding too

Boulder is not SOTA afaik too clinical /lacking naturalness

Based on shows and dealershows , so limited off course , id say

Gryphon Apex ( and also Halcro but its leaner sounding ) mesmerizes through sheer grip and control of the loudspeaker .
Especially with the APEX you have a feeling of being completely immersed in sound very atractive / addictive it would be my first choice if going SS , limitless powerreserves

CH slightly more clinical but very detailed sound , very good

FM acoustics natural with an exceptional fast risetime , the amps just makes you think they re ultra fast / capable

R koda very natural pleasing sound reminds me the most of tubes probably

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would say CH , Gryphon APEX , Robert Koda , FM acoustics and Halcro are all great solid state amps

Gryphon Apex ( and also Halcro but its leaner sounding ) mesmerizes through sheer grip and control of the loudspeaker .
Especially with the APEX you have a feeling of being completely immersed in sound very atractive / addictive it would be my first choice if going SS , limitless powerreserves

FM acoustics natural with an exceptional fast risetime , the amps just makes you think they re ultra fast / capable

I am surprised at how fast the term natural has become a popular descriptor. I see it in use all over the forum. Perhaps I am just imagining it, but I thought it was kind of a dirty word, way too vague, and that few understood it’s meaning in audio terms.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019

Curious how folks familiar would describe Audionet Heisenbergs compared to the above? Thank you in advance

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing