CH Precision D1

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Picked out a synology 713+
Any suggestions as to hard drives to use with it? Western digital red, seagate,? Hdd, ssd?

Get the REDs. They are designed for 24/7 operation in NAS.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks CK and Adam.
WD red it is then.
Chris

Hi Chris,
Besides using reliable HD for the NAS, you may consider giving the NAS and the router, switch...etc linear power-supply.
The sonic improvement is very significant.

Two friends of mine who have bought C1 dac installed linear psu for their NAS & gigabit switch (12V-10A for NAS and 12V-2A for switch).
Their psu are made by Kenneth Lau of Hong Kong. Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research and Michael Bovaird of Audioshark are his customers.
http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51176&extra=&page=1

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Hi all!
Is there any good control apps for C1 with minimserver to select songs and playlist from the music library? I found many uPnP players cannot recognize the C1 renderer. I look for something like ipeng for squeezebox touch. ThankS!

Socfan12

May 5, 2013
Hi Audiophilelp,

I use the Synology app DS Audio with my C1. It's not fancy, but it does work. I've been able to use Synology's UPnP server and DS Audio to stream hi res files even, but not DSD. I need the Minimserver for that.

I've tried other apps that work as well: BubbleUPnP on Andriod, PS Audio's eLyric (pricey for little functionality though), and I hear PlugPlayer works ok, too.

Good luck!

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Hi Audiophilelp,

I use the Synology app DS Audio with my C1. It's not fancy, but it does work. I've been able to use Synology's UPnP server and DS Audio to stream hi res files even, but not DSD. I need the Minimserver for that.

I've tried other apps that work as well: BubbleUPnP on Andriod, PS Audio's eLyric (pricey for little functionality though), and I hear PlugPlayer works ok, too.

Good luck!

Thanks Socfan12!

I wonder how can we do gapless play? I cannot do it with minimserver/plugplayer

Socfan12

May 5, 2013
From what I've read, 'gapless' play is a handshaking between controller and renderer (the C1 in this case), the server does not come into play with gapless play. The DS Audio controller does not seem to support gapless play (at least not from what I've seen) while BubbleUPnP has a setting for it. Having said that, I do hear a 'hiccup' when advancing from one track to another. It's not as seamless as it should be. Not sure what is at issue: the controller, Android, or the C1 controller.

HTH.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi all!
Is there any good control apps for C1 with minimserver to select songs and playlist from the music library? I found many uPnP players cannot recognize the C1 renderer. I look for something like ipeng for squeezebox touch. ThankS!

I use 2 NASes, Synology 1813+ and a Qnap. Minimserver only works well with Qnap and not Synology. To carry out DSD streaming, use Qnap with Minimserver. As for Upnp, I use Plugplayer and so far, so good.

Socfan12

May 5, 2013
Thf, is that true even with the Minimserver that comes bundled with DSM 5.0? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on the 1813+ as my much smaller and older Synology NAS can't even be upgraded to DSM 5.0.:(

Which QNAP do you have?

Thx

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thf, is that true even with the Minimserver that comes bundled with DSM 5.0? Was thinking of pulling the trigger on the 1813+ as my much smaller and older Synology NAS can't even be upgraded to DSM 5.0.:(

Which QNAP do you have?

Thx

I'm using the TS-269 Pro model. I'm not sure whether it came with DSM 5.0 or not. I have the 1813+ as well but I won't use it for streaming though as the processor is too slow. It takes a while for it to load. Instead, try not to use more than the 4-bay ones. I prefer to use SSDs.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

jtwrace

Dec 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I use 2 NASes, Synology 1813+ and a Qnap. Minimserver only works well with Qnap and not Synology. To carry out DSD streaming, use Qnap with Minimserver. As for Upnp, I use Plugplayer and so far, so good.

Really? My 1813+ is working well with Minimserver and Minimwatch on my MB Air. DSM 5.0 4993 Update 1.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
About to take the plunge and add the CH X1 to my C1. Excited!! Seems like there are a few X1 users on WBF. For those with X1, have you tried stacking the units or is the umbilical long enough to position the X1 far from C1 and other components. I am assuming that keeping it further from the system is more desireable in terms of stray noise and heat. I'll need to rearrange things on the rack but wondering what others' experience has been.
Chris

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I've been using an X1 with a C1/D1 combo and all I can say is get ready! It adds tremendous weight and dynamics in my system so curious what you'll hear in yours. I was apprehensive before buying it but it was like changing an amplifier, which was shocking. CH is apparently using this same X1 power supply for the new L1 pre as well. I'm probably going to get the L1 pre but I maxed out the regulator boards on my X1 (only 2 per X1) so I will most likely be buying one more X1 to power the L1. Definitely a meaningful upgrade - enjoy and let us know your impressions....

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks Thf99. BTW, are you using a drive with your c1? I'm using the nagra cdp when playing physical digital as opposed to streaming.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Tunes, my X1 arrived yesterday and you will be surprised at what improvement it brings. To me, all C1 users must have the X1! The umbilical cord is 2 metres long, btw.
I find streaming is the best way to go for the C1. Currently, I use a Synology 1813+ and a Qnap for streaming.
More to come on the X1.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Is it worthwhile to add a X1 to C1? It seems there are supporters while some(including TAS) do not. X1 is not cheap as well. Would x1 users share their feeling with and without x1? Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing