Coda no 16 amplifier

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
07x in its temporary faceplate. 2ch bypass to its brother #8...now to spend some time listening.

Attachments

• 3B8B6053-FD98-41E7-8CD3-29E4DBEA983B.jpeg
    3B8B6053-FD98-41E7-8CD3-29E4DBEA983B.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 5400CE7A-6AC1-47E9-B5EB-E3D6B008E416.jpeg
    5400CE7A-6AC1-47E9-B5EB-E3D6B008E416.jpeg
    620 KB · Views: 57
  • 1490F9E1-D78C-4946-B492-E984BEEE6109.jpeg
    1490F9E1-D78C-4946-B492-E984BEEE6109.jpeg
    770.5 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: zonto

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
How does the Coda phono stage 0.8 sound? I’ve always been curious.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I now have the CODA 07x and have been listening for 6+ hours a day for a few weeks. This is a great preamp. A little warmer than my Benchmark HPA4. This warmth is ideal for my RAAL SR1a headphones. The RAAL was too bright with the HPA4. The RAAL was not good with the HPA4 and AHB2 combo from Benchmark. The RAAL is just too bright for that gear.

However, on a lark I thought I would try the CODA 07x and AHB2 with the RAAL. It was surprisingly great, the AHB2 did not add anything to the sound other than amplify the 07x signature. I had written off pairing the AHB2 with the RAAL and bought a CODA CSiB integrated, a KRELL k-300i integrated, and a D-Sonic M3a 800s amp to see if they would work better. They actually all did. However, the CODA 07x and the AHB2 maybe the winner, especially with my Audience FrontRow speaker wire with SpeakON connectors. A ton of money for headphones but I am enjoying the heck out of them late at night.

Since the CODA 07x has dual XLR outputs I am temporarily using is a second AHB2 amp on my power hungry Thiel CS3.7's and I love this combo. I definitely like it more than the CODA CSiB integrated that I sold. I say temporarily because the plan was to demo the CODA #8 and #16 at the local audio shop and get one of them. One thing for sure is that I will be keeping at least 1 AHB2 to pair with the Thiel CS3.7 and alternate with a CODA amp. The main reason to get a CODA amp is that my speakers power demands are better matched by the 2 CODA amps. Even in mono form the AHB2 is not ideal power wise on the CS3.7.

CODA 07x + Benchmark AHB2 = excellent combo on RAAL SR1a
CODA 07x + Benchmark AHB2 = very good combo on Thiel CS3.7 (wish for more power)

Last edited:
Reactions: AZWink and zonto

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
I now have the CODA 07x and have been listening for 6+ hours a day for a few weeks. This is a great preamp. A little warmer than my Benchmark HPA4. This warmth is ideal for my RAAL SR1a headphones. The RAAL was too bright with the HPA4. The RAAL was not good with the HPA4 and AHB2 combo from Benchmark. The RAAL is just too bright for that gear.

However, on a lark I thought I would try the CODA 07x and AHB2 with the RAAL. It was surprisingly great, the AHB2 did not add anything to the sound other than amplify the 07x signature. I had written off pairing the AHB2 with the RAAL and bought a CODA CSiB integrated, a KRELL k-300i integrated, and a D-Sonic M3a 800s amp to see if they would work better. They actually all did. However, the CODA 07x and the AHB2 maybe the winner, especially with my Audience FrontRow speaker wire with SpeakON connectors. A ton of money for headphones but I am enjoying the heck out of them late at night.

Since the CODA 07x has dual XLR outputs I am temporarily using is a second AHB2 amp on my power hungry Thiel CS3.7's and I love this combo. I definitely like it more than the CODA CSiB integrated that I sold. I say temporarily because the plan was to demo the CODA #8 and #16 at the local audio shop and get one of them. One thing for sure is that I will be keeping at least 1 AHB2 to pair with the Thiel CS3.7 and alternate with a CODA amp. The main reason to get a CODA amp is that my speakers power demands are better matched by the 2 CODA amps. Even in mono form the AHB2 is not ideal power wise on the CS3.7.

CODA 07x + Benchmark AHB2 = excellent combo on RAAL SR1a
CODA 07x + Benchmark AHB2 = very good combo on Thiel CS3.7 (wish for more power)
Interresting comparison with HPA 4! I have the LA 4 (the version without headphones) together with Coda 16.0 and i like its quietness, detail and complete without grain. You say you feel the 07x is a little warmer, but have the same detail and low noise level? How is the balance, do you think it has the same in low level retrevial?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Interresting comparison with HPA 4! I have the LA 4 (the version without headphones) together with Coda 16.0 and i like its quietness, detail and complete without grain. You say you feel the 07x is a little warmer, but have the same detail and low noise level? How is the balance, do you think it has the same in low level retrevial?
Short answer - I think the HPA4 is a bit more detailed. I do not think I have heard anything as quiet and revealing as this incredible preamp. It is also a little quieter on my floor standers when the system is not playing music. HPA4 has no hiss. The 07x has a tiny tiny bit.

Long answer:
My frame of reference for my comparisons are my RAAL SR1a earphones. I love these things so much that I have spent a crazy amount of money to make them shine. I think it is worth it because It is almost as good as my Thiel CS3.7's and I have a need for headphones for late night listening. I have family that goes to sleep while I work late at night.

The RAAL are incredibly revealing and need warm gear to avoid fatigue. Clean and smooth gear also works. When I tried the HPA4 + AHB2 + AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC the sound was very good but there was a tiny bit of fatigue which bothered me. I had other setups with the RAAL that did not have this bit of fatigue, such as the CODA CSiB (sold it) and KRELL K-300i (still have it) integrated amps.

I got the CODA 07xpreamp because I liked the CSiB and I also needed a preamp with dual XLR outputs for my RAAL SR1a and Thiel CS3.7's so that they could be connected at the same time. I just switch off the amp that is not needed.

With the CODA 07x + AHB2 + AMT3SE the sound was good but still a little bit of fatigue. I replaced the Audience Conductor SE speaker wire (about $900) with Audience FrontRow ($4k) speaker wire with SpeakON connectors. Now the sound had 0 fatigue and was even better than the CODA CSiB and the KRELL K-300i with the RAAL SR1a. A little crazy for headphones but I have no regrets since I think this sound is reference quality.

I have moved the HPA4 to another room for a few more weeks but it will return to the same rack as the CODA 07x. I will mix and match the preamps and amps to play around. However, from my recollection of the sound of my Thiel CS3.7 with the HPA4 + AHB2 I thought it was incredible with a bit more detail that the CODA 07x and 0 fatigue. The Thiel COAX driver is not uber revealing as the RAAL ribbon. THE HPA4 is a piece of gear that I will never sell and it looks like the CODA 07x is also staying permanently.

At the moment I am using the D-Sonic M3a 800s stereo amp with my CODA 07x and Thiel CS3.7. I plan to get the CODA #8 or #16 in the future. The AHB2 mono's I was using in the past is not ideal in the power department at 2 Ohm. I can hear the difference with the D-Sonic, KRELL, CODA CSiB. I like the clarity and smoothness of the AHB2 better but it is not an ideal match for the requirements of the Thiel CS3.7.

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
Short answer - I think the HPA4 is a bit more detailed. I do not think I have heard anything as quiet and revealing as this incredible preamp. It is also a little quieter on my floor standers when the system is not playing music. HPA4 has no hiss. The 07x has a tiny tiny bit.

Long answer:
My frame of reference for my comparisons are my RAAL SR1a earphones. I love these things so much that I have spent a crazy amount of money to make them shine. I think it is worth it because It is almost as good as my Thiel CS3.7's and I have a need for headphones for late night listening. I have family that goes to sleep while I work late at night.

The RAAL are incredibly revealing and need warm gear to avoid fatigue. Clean and smooth gear also works. When I tried the HPA4 + AHB2 + AudioMirror Tubadour III SE tube DAC the sound was very good but there was a tiny bit of fatigue which bothered me. I had other setups with the RAAL that did not have this bit of fatigue, such as the CODA CSiB (sold it) and KRELL K-300i (still have it) integrated amps.

I got the CODA 07xpreamp because I liked the CSiB and I also needed a preamp with dual XLR outputs for my RAAL SR1a and Thiel CS3.7's so that they could be connected at the same time. I just switch off the amp that is not needed.

With the CODA 07x + AHB2 + AMT3SE the sound was good but still a little bit of fatigue. I replaced the Audience Conductor SE speaker wire (about $900) with Audience FrontRow ($4k) speaker wire with SpeakON connectors. Now the sound had 0 fatigue and was even better than the CODA CSiB and the KRELL K-300i with the RAAL SR1a. A little crazy for headphones but I have no regrets since I think this sound is reference quality.

I have moved the HPA4 to another room for a few more weeks but it will return to the same rack as the CODA 07x. I will mix and match the preamps and amps to play around. However, from my recollection of the sound of my Thiel CS3.7 with the HPA4 + AHB2 I thought it was incredible with a bit more detail that the CODA 07x and 0 fatigue. The Thiel COAX driver is not uber revealing as the RAAL ribbon. THE HPA4 is a piece of gear that I will never sell and it looks like the CODA 07x is also staying permanently.

At the moment I am using the D-Sonic M3a 800s stereo amp with my CODA 07x and Thiel CS3.7. I plan to get the CODA #8 or #16 in the future. The AHB2 mono's I was using in the past is not ideal in the power department at 2 Ohm. I can hear the difference with the D-Sonic, KRELL, CODA CSiB. I like the clarity and smoothness of the AHB2 better but it is not an ideal match for the requirements of the Thiel CS3.7.
Very interresting! I also believe the benchmark pre stays. And soon to be challenged with the 07 . Wonder how the match will be with coda 16.0. An incredible amp. Best i have had. Krell Evo 900, msb 450, lamm 1.2 ref, no contest. Resolution, quietness, musicality outstanding

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Very interresting! I also believe the benchmark pre stays. And soon to be challenged with the 07 . Wonder how the match will be with coda 16.0. An incredible amp. Best i have had. Krell Evo 900, msb 450, lamm 1.2 ref, no contest. Resolution, quietness, musicality outstanding
Interesting. I describe my #8 v2 with those exact words...it replaced a fully rebuilt FPB600. There was a stark contrast in dynamics and the ability to fully control my big electrostats. The Krell, although very powerful, always felt like there was something lacking. I attribute the improvement to the massive current output of the Coda. I have paired the #8 with the 07x pre; I will post my opinion after I’ve had some time with them.
Dan

Reactions: porselen

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
Interesting. I describe my #8 v2 with those exact words...it replaced a fully rebuilt FPB600. There was a stark contrast in dynamics and the ability to fully control my big electrostats. The Krell, although very powerful, always felt like there was something lacking. I attribute the improvement to the massive current output of the Coda. I have paired the #8 with the 07x pre; I will post my opinion after I’ve had some time with them.
Dan
Looking forward to your impressions! 07x fet on its way to me arriving next week hopefully...

Reactions: AZWink

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That's good news!
On the contrary here I'm still waiting for my n.8 Power amp; delay after delay ... 5 months have almost passed since my order...
Sorry to read this. I thought I read a while ago that the transformers were in and units were being completed for shipment.

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
That's good news!
On the contrary here I'm still waiting for my n.8 Power amp; delay after delay ... 5 months have almost passed since my order...
Yes, i was lucky to pick up a demo unit, so i did not have to wait for a new one to be produced. Sorry for your waiting; but you are waiting for something good!!! if thats a comfort

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I will add a bit more detail on the HPA4 vs CODA 07x since some of you maybe interested. I now have the HPA4 preamp setup on the rack beside the CODA 07x. Today I started streaming from my hard disk some hi-res Led Zeppelin. I was using my best DAC, the Gustard X26 Pro. However, for some reason today I was not feeling the greatness of this music. It was a little subdued or maybe not as lively. So I switched the preamp to the HPA4 and the Benchmark DAC3B, which I think is a bit lower in performance than the Gustard. With this switch the Zeppelin sounded lively, clear, and had me moving (like I normally do to Zep). This was the first time I found the 07x coming up short. The HPA4 comes up short on my RAAL SR1a headphones, but great on my Meze Empy headphones. I guess you have to pick the right tool for the job.

As I write this post, I added the Gustard X26 Pro to my HPA4 using RCA interconnect, Audience AU24 SE, and listened to the same music. Sounds a little less lively on top compared to the DAC3B. Which maybe a good or bad thing based on mood. Both DACs sound better with Zep on the HPA4 vs the 07x. Luckily I listen to a wide range of music (plus headphones and speakers) and I can see the need to use both preamps.

The way I switch the preamps is by disconnecting at the amp end the 15 foot XLR from the CODA and hooking up an identical 15 foot XLR from the HPA4 to the amp. Everything is the same in the signal path except the preamp and DAC.

@poselen I am looking forward to your comments on the CODA #16 paired with both the LA4 and 07x.

Last edited:

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
I will add a bit more detail on the HPA4 vs CODA 07x since some of you maybe interested. I now have the HPA4 preamp setup on the rack beside the CODA 07x. Today I started streaming from my hard disk some hi-res Led Zeppelin. I was using my best DAC, the Gustard X26 Pro. However, for some reason today I was not feeling the greatness of this music. It was a little subdued or maybe not as lively. So I switched the preamp to the HPA4 and the Benchmark DAC3B, which I think is a bit lower in performance than the Gustard. With this switch the Zeppelin sounded lively, clear, and had me moving (like I normally do to Zep). This was the first time I found the 07x coming up short. The HPA4 comes up short on my RAAL SR1a headphones, but great on my Meze Empy headphones. I guess you have to pick the right tool for the job.

As I write this post, I added the Gustard X26 Pro to my HPA4 using RCA interconnect, Audience AU24 SE, and listened to the same music. Sounds a little less lively on top compared to the DAC3B. Which maybe a good or bad thing based on mood. Both DACs sound better with Zep on the HPA4 vs the 07x. Luckily I listen to a wide range of music (plus headphones and speakers) and I can see the need to use both preamps.

The way I switch the preamps is by disconnecting at the amp end the 15 foot XLR from the CODA and hooking up an identical 15 foot XLR from the HPA4 to the amp. Everything is the same in the signal path except the preamp and DAC.

@poselen I am looking forward to your comments on the CODA #16 paired with both the LA4 and 07x.
yyzSB; the Coda came in yesterday. I have been able to hook it up. As i have the dac3b and the La4 it should be easy to do a comparrison. I also have a Metrum Pavane Dac. Very good dac, but i also find the dac3b more lively, so i mostly listen to this dac. I believe my first impression could be in the same gate as you, but i will let the amp get varm first and play for a while. The LA4 also sound best when on for a longer period. Before Coda, i have never heard a more detailed low noise and correct pre then Benchmark. It has blown away everything i have had before. To be followed up...

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

May I ask what Zep tracks you were listening to during your comparisons?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
May I ask what Zep tracks you were listening to during your comparisons?
I was listening to In Thorough the out Door on the CODA 07x and was not into the music as I normally am. I listened to 3/4 of the album and decided to see if the HPA4 would make a difference. So I replayed it on the HPA4 and it sounded more like what I expected for Zep. Maybe it is just sonic familiarity for me. Whatever the case I have a solution for when listening to Zep on the Thiel CS3.7's.

I ended up listening to the first 4 albums and Houses of the Holy later on the HPA4 and Meze Empy, about 40% on the speakers the rest on headphones late at night. I should have listened with the RAAL SR1a and the CODA 07x to the AHB2's because that is better but I wanted to hear the Empys after a long hiatus.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I was listening to In Thorough the out Door on the CODA 07x and was not into the music as I normally am. I listened to 3/4 of the album and decided to see if the HPA4 would make a difference. So I replayed it on the HPA4 and it sounded more like what I expected for Zep. Maybe it is just sonic familiarity for me. Whatever the case I have a solution for when listening to Zep on the Thiel CS3.7's.

I ended up listening to the first 4 albums and Houses of the Holy later on the HPA4 and Meze Empy, about 40% on the speakers the rest on headphones late at night. I should have listened with the RAAL SR1a and the CODA 07x to the AHB2's because that is better but I wanted to hear the Empys after a long hiatus.
So you listened to a large section of their catalog over a good period of time. I have the 07x paired with the #8 v2 running through ML Prodigy speakers. Being a huge Zep fan myself, I look forward to running through some of their catalog, Zep III being my favorite go to when sitting for a critical listen. What amp were you using with the 07x?
Dan

Last edited:

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Actually it was last night I did all this listening. This is in my office and I have a 5 year old and now a puppy to look after so I tend to work late at night when everyone is asleep. I listened to the first couple of albums on the CS3.7s at good volume and then the rest on headphones.

My go to amps for the Thiel CS3.7's were my Benchmark AHB2's. However, I recently realized that it does not have enough power (even in mono) compared to 3 other amps I recently had on them. The KRELL k-300i integrated (keeping it), the CODA CSiB (now sold), and the D-Sonic M3a 800s Class D amp. I am using the D-Sonic now. It is very good but not as crystal clear on top as the AHB2 (but better on bass with the CS3.7). It is a temp amp until I get something else. Ideally something like the Benchmark AHB2 but with continuous power delivery in the 2 Ohm region., maybe a Purifi amp when they come out with the new more powerful modules. The CODA #8 and #16 are the other 2 obvious candidates and my local dealer who sold me the 07x has both ready for me to demo once I get some time.

I think I said earlier on this thread how amazing the CODA 07x, AudioMirror tube DAC, AHB2's and the RAAL SR1a is. I tried so many different combos and it is really the CODA that makes the final combo work. I love the 07x and use it as my main preamp for the CS3.7's and RAAL SR1a. Just not for Zep on the CS3.7's.

Listening to CODA Deluxe Edition by Zep now on the CODA 07x and the HPA4 (both with the great Gustard X26 Pro DAC). Preferred the HPA4 again.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Actually it was last night I did all this listening. This is in my office and I have a 5 year old and now a puppy to look after so I tend to work late at night when everyone is asleep. I listened to the first couple of albums on the CS3.7s at good volume and then the rest on headphones.

My go to amps for the Thiel CS3.7's were my Benchmark AHB2's. However, I recently realized that it does not have enough power (even in mono) compared to 3 other amps I recently had on them. The KRELL k-300i integrated (keeping it), the CODA CSiB (now sold), and the D-Sonic M3a 800s Class D amp. I am using the D-Sonic now. It is very good but not as crystal clear on top as the AHB2 (but better on bass with the CS3.7). It is a temp amp until I get something else. Ideally something like the Benchmark AHB2 but with continuous power delivery in the 2 Ohm region., maybe a Purifi amp when they come out with the new more powerful modules. The CODA #8 and #16 are the other 2 obvious candidates and my local dealer who sold me the 07x has both ready for me to demo once I get some time.

I think I said earlier on this thread how amazing the CODA 07x, AudioMirror tube DAC, AHB2's and the RAAL SR1a is. I tried so many different combos and it is really the CODA that makes the final combo work. I love the 07x and use it as my main preamp for the CS3.7's and RAAL SR1a. Just not for Zep on the CS3.7's.

Listening to CODA Deluxe Edition by Zep now on the CODA 07x and the HPA4 (both with the great Gustard X26 Pro DAC). Preferred the HPA4 again.
The Coda 07x does have a bit of roll-off on the top end which works well with my stats. I think you would find the Code #8 or #16 amp will get the most out of your Thiels. The current output is huge @ 150 amperes.. I sold a Krell FPB 600 after getting the Coda as there was so much more control from top to bottom over the big Krell. It stays in class A 80% of the time and is the quietist amp I’ve heard(or not heard) in a long, long, time.

Reactions: yyzSB

porselen

Feb 28, 2013
The Coda 07x does have a bit of roll-off on the top end which works well with my stats. I think you would find the Code #8 or #16 amp will get the most out of your Thiels. The current output is huge @ 150 amperes.. I sold a Krell FPB 600 after getting the Coda as there was so much more control from top to bottom over the big Krell. It stays in class A 80% of the time and is the quietist amp I’ve heard(or not heard) in a long, long, time.
You say the 07 has a bit of roll of; what do you miss? i am not sure i have heard that...

porselen

Feb 28, 2013

I have now listened to both 07x fet and la4. Short answer: As good as the LA4 is,the Coda is much more balanced, fluid and does in my opinion have all what is there, no roll of here! It is the best pre i have heard. period.

Long answer: The LA4 is linear, and has all the details. Maybe more lit up in the middletone. maybe a little brighter and direct. The Coda is more balanced and fluid, velvetly. A fuller tone. More for longer listeningperiods . Listening to Bruce Springsteen can be a challenge over time with LA 4, not so with Coda, i have never heard Bruce so easy listening, yet dynamic and natural. This is together with the dynamic 16.0. I guess it suits the 07x fet perfectly. When they bulit you brither, they broke the mold (Springsteen) just listen to the munnharmonica on this song...

ps, I will keep the LA4 for its versatility and craftmannship but coda wil stay as no. 1 pre. The LA 4 is the second best pre i have had.

Reactions: zonto and yyzSB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing