Compression drivers / Horn FR graphs ( Vitavox S2 )

To ask a stupid question, what are they in the picture? Looks like monster caps on an amp.

Attachments

• IMG_6852.jpg
    IMG_6852.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 19
To ask a stupid question, what are they in the picture? Looks like monster caps on an amp.
should be two hiraga super class a amp replica left and right side. 20 watt class a
The capacitor is chosen to be too large so that the amplifier circuit has no influence on the power supply, regardless of the load. Many people also use car batteries as energy storage together with the capacitors.IMG-20201213-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
should be two hiraga super class a amp replica left and right side. 20 watt class a
The capacitor is chosen to be too large so that the amplifier circuit has no influence on the power supply, regardless of the load. Many people also use car batteries as energy storage together with the capacitors.View attachment 132834

That is such a great idea.

Are they sold built anywhere, or are these DIY?

That is such a great idea.

Are they sold built anywhere, or are these DIY?
Original Jean Hiraga amps are rare these days, but there are plenty of DIY plans online. The problem is getting hold of the original transistors used, which are now traded like gold. But there are certainly some good replicas.
Accu version hiraga amp over 1 farad capacitors+ two car batteries 20 watt sounds phantastic monstre.JPG

Diy

Regarding the Vitavox S2, I am using two pair in my 6 way horn system. The first is 600Hz - 1kHz in a 250Hx tractrix, second is from 3.2kHz and it rolls off at 12kHz in a 400Hz tractrix. 12kHz and up is handled by a RAAL Lazy Ribbon for which I am considering horn loading.

If you want the best that horns can offer, I would recommend an active system with at least 4 ways. Two way will not cut it...

For my part It would be interesting to hear / view any audio video’s that you might feel comfortable in sharing with us of your most interesting horn transducer array :)

Original Jean Hiraga amps are rare these days, but there are plenty of DIY plans online. The problem is getting hold of the original transistors used, which are now traded like gold. But there are certainly some good replicas.
Accu version hiraga amp over 1 farad capacitors+ two car batteries 20 watt sounds phantastic View attachment 132885

Diy

Have you heard this setup ..?

The capacitor is chosen to be too large so that the amplifier circuit has no influence on the power supply, regardless of the load. Many people also use car batteries as energy storage together with the capacitors.View attachment 132834

Such heavy passive storage regulation tend to kill dynamics , exception being when fully electronic regulated , have you compared ..?

Such heavy passive storage regulation tend to kill dynamics , exception being when fully electronic regulated , have you compared ..?
the exact opposite is the case. If your operating voltage does not drop, no matter what is dynamically required of the subsequent circuit, then you have dynamic headroom. No impulse will affect the sound quality. The amplifier has no regulation in the power supply. Regulation makes sense if, for example, you want to use tubes for as long as possible and regulate the voltage and current, thus forcing the tube to an operating point until it dies.
I had hiraga amps 10 years ago sounds pretty good. they are more stable than the wattage suggests.

Reactions: Argonaut
I did 4001 and 2001 in JMLC, then 4003 and 2002 in same
now I do 4003 in locally designed CD horn from 600-20K...no breakups
don´t miss any HF or the extra X/O
You have not upgraded your Norwegian thread ;)

Have you heard this setup ..?

I have heard Hiraga's Le Monstre at Hiraga''s place, yes. With his WE. He uses Vac 300b on his Altec and the 8w SS on his WE. He did say the best of his SS were his old 20w amps like Dasguteohr said.

Reactions: DasguteOhr
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
the exact opposite is the case. If your operating voltage does not drop, no matter what is dynamically required of the subsequent circuit, then you have dynamic headroom. No impulse will affect the sound quality. The amplifier has no regulation in the power supply. Regulation makes sense if, for example, you want to use tubes for as long as possible and regulate the voltage and current, thus forcing the tube to an operating point until it dies.
I had hiraga amps 10 years ago sounds pretty good. they are more stable than the wattage suggests.

Have to disagree , that much Capacitance plus batt act as regulation , all batt powered amps i have Heard , tried and or built had a soft sound , even the Roland Research batt powered devices did ..

Maybe we have differing requirements regarding dynamics and realism, never had or heard batt powered devices sound better.

BTW any SS amp worth its salt is using regulation in the driver stages ..

Regards

Last edited:
I have heard Hiraga's Le Monstre at Hiraga''s place, yes. With his WE. He uses Vac 300b on his Altec and the 8w SS on his WE. He did say the best of his SS were his old 20w amps like Dasguteohr said.

Was that amp Batt powered ..? which setup did you like best.?

Was that amp Batt powered ..? which setup did you like best.?

An Altec dual FLH at his client, powered by a Kaneda amp 15w. None were batt powered his field coil tweeter was

Have to disagree , that much Capacitance plus batt act as regulation , all batt powered amps i have Heard , tried and or built had a soft sound , even the Roland Research batt powered devices did ..

Maybe we have differing requirements regarding dynamics and realism, never had or heard batt powered devices sound better.

Regards
The Hiraga is Class A where current draw is constant regardless of output power demands…Rowlands were quite different…and soft like you say.

Regards
First of all, Hiraga is not only battery operated. The trick is to get the best out of both worlds. Quick response (capacitors) and big energy storage (battery). If you use it cleverly, you have a very low internal resistance of the power supply across the entire audio band. For example, the monstre power supply here.monster29fig14.gif
P.S
a battery is superior to any capacitor at low frequencies, and a capacitor conversely at high frequencies

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu