Contenders for Best Tube Integrated Amp? Only the best elements of tube sound!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Absolare Integrated vs Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated? Anybody has experience with both these units? Look similar from spec point of view. Heard the Phaethon in my system which sounded superb, but willing to explore the Absolare option.
Thanks, Tim

I've got both on permanent display. What's the rest of your system if I may ask?

/ Marcus

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Here are two integrated which I auditioned at home and are really good.
Einstein Ultimate has too high gain for efficient speakers like my Avantgarde, but for regular ones it can be the top notch. Avantgarde XA integrqted was the perfect match for Duo Mezzo XD during Rocky Mountain 2015.
Einstein is a hybrid design with valve pre section, XA is fully ss however.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 1,458
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 1,588
Last edited:

4music

Apr 15, 2013
I've got both on permanent display. What's the rest of your system if I may ask?

/ Marcus

Marcus,
The system is: Playback Designs MPS-5, Ypsilon PST MkII, Ypsilon Aelius, YG Carmel 2. Sounds terrific but I am looking to reduce the box count with an integrated. Currently trying the Dart 8550, which while very good in its own, its not up to the Ypsilon separates.
Thanks, Tim

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Marcus,
The system is: Playback Designs MPS-5, Ypsilon PST MkII, Ypsilon Aelius, YG Carmel 2. Sounds terrific but I am looking to reduce the box count with an integrated. Currently trying the Dart 8550, which while very good in its own, its not up to the Ypsilon separates.
Thanks, Tim

Thanks Tim!

Well, first of all. If you're happy with your current Ypsilon PST MKII + Aelius combo, the Phaethon integrated will give you (up to) 90% of the performance with the Carmel 2's. The integrated is something very special. I've got a lot of respect for Dartzeel in general, but the Ypsilon Phaethon is in another division compared to the Dartzeel 8550. I've had them here side by side last year when I got the Dartzeel as trade-in for the Aelius monos.

Last edited:

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks Tim!

Well, first of all. If you're happy with your current Ypsilon PST MKII + Aelius combo, the Phaethon integrated will give you (up to) 90% of the performance with the Carmel 2's. The integrated is something very special. I've got a lot of respect for Dartzeel in general, but the Ypsilon Phaethon is in another division compared to the Dartzeel 8550. I've had them here side by side last year when I got the Dartzeel as trade-in for the Aelius monos.

Thanks Marcus. Any comments on Ypsilon Phaethon vs Absolare integrated?

George K

Jul 26, 2012
image.jpeg

There is an upcoming hybrid integrated from Viva as well. I guess the finalized model will be presented in Munich this May.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Thanks Marcus. Any comments on Ypsilon Phaethon vs Absolare integrated?

You're most welcome.

Well, first and foremost, there's a €10.000 difference in between the Ypsilon Phaethon and Absolare Integrated (basic version - there's also a signature model) over here in Europe which does place them within rather different price brackets. The Absolare is also more easily tweakable - especially by changing the input tubes (altering the sound characteristics). They're also radically different design wise - where the Absolare is quite large (deep especially) and noticeable, where the Ypsilon is rather compact and discrete in comparison. They're both powerful hybrids, driving most anything on the market without restrictions in normal sized rooms at sane volume levels.

Sonically, there's no winner or loser here (as so often on this level). I would consider the Ypsilon neutral in a more absolute sense compared to the Absolare. They both have the drive, control and bottom end impact that you could expect from a solid state design combined with the tone color, air and scale of tubes. I would consider the Absolare to have a bit more of the typical tube qualities though - timbre, texture, flow, weight, body. The Absolare is basically a very engaging and emotional amplifier with SET-like qualities. That said - depending on system matching and personal preferences - some might just as well prefer the slightly more restrained and polite character of the Ypsilon. They're both world class - putting music first!

Hope that helps!

/ Marcus

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

4music

Apr 15, 2013
You're most welcome.

Well, first and foremost, there's a €10.000 difference in between the Ypsilon Phaethon and Absolare Integrated (basic version - there's also a signature model) over here in Europe which does place them within rather different price brackets. The Absolare is also more easily tweakable - especially by changing the input tubes (altering the sound characteristics). They're also radically different design wise - where the Absolare is quite large (deep especially) and noticeable, where the Ypsilon is rather compact and discrete in comparison. They're both powerful hybrids, driving most anything on the market without restrictions in normal sized rooms at sane volume levels.

Sonically, there's no winner or loser here (as so often on this level). I would consider the Ypsilon neutral in a more absolute sense compared to the Absolare. They both have the drive, control and bottom end impact that you could expect from a solid state design combined with the tone color, air and scale of tubes. I would consider the Absolare to have a bit more of the typical tube qualities though - timbre, texture, flow, weight, body. The Absolare is basically a very engaging and emotional amplifier with SET-like qualities. That said - depending on system matching and personal preferences - some might just as well prefer the slightly more restrained and polite character of the Ypsilon. They're both world class - putting music first!

Hope that helps!

/ Marcus

Marcus,

Many thanks for the detailed comparison report. Very useful indeed!

Tim

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Marcus,
Thanks, Tim

agree 100% on reducing box size. ive always used integrated ... beginning with my first nad. i currently use the carmel 2's as well. i was thinking of the Ypsilon integrated but i may look into the viva stuff.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing