Contenders for Best Tube Integrated Amp? Only the best elements of tube sound!

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
The best integrated a I have heard so far:
KR Audio VA680 and SXi
Ayon Crossfire III
NAT symbiosis SE (but only after at least 2 hours of continuous playing)
Ypsilon Phaeton
KR Audio VA350i

Soon I will be demoing the Aries Cerat Diana ( I have it now but must get the beast in place). Will it crush the rest?? Time will tell...

Is the VA680 still under production?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Did you have a chance to really compare them?

Do you mean the Phaeton and the new Absolare hybrid? No. It was just my impression on how they sounded in the particular systems.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I compared Viva Solista mk3 with Phaethon and Viva Solissta was better hands down.
I haven't heard the Solista but I can fully see how it might be the case.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hooked up the Diana today and it is immediately awesome sounding. I only have it in the second system because i need some friends to come over and give it a heave up the stairs. Can't wait to compare it to the Wall Audiou Opus M50s + NAT Pasma setup on the big Odeons.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Do you mean the Phaeton and the new Absolare hybrid? No. It was just my impression on how they sounded in the particular systems.

OK. With all due respect, that doesn't really count :). Side by side is all that matters, preferably in your own room within your own system - or alternatively (second best) within the same system somewhere else. Within two different systems and contexts, you couldn't possibly compare them. Don't you agree?

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hooked up the Diana today and it is immediately awesome sounding. I only have it in the second system because i need some friends to come over and give it a heave up the stairs. Can't wait to compare it to the Wall Audiou Opus M50s + NAT Pasma setup on the big Odeons.

Very interesting. The Aries are intriguing to say the least. Please keep us posted.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Very interesting. The Aries are intriguing to say the least. Please keep us posted.

First few listens are very promising with a smooth, dynamic and highly resolved sound. Tonal balance seems about spot on and natural but not overly warm.

That is in my second system it will go to the upstairs system in a few days.

butler

Mar 26, 2013
The Viva Solista still looms large in my memory since hearing it a few years ago. However, it is not exactly a universal solution being a low wattage single ended design, though I imagine it likely punches above what it’s 22 watt spec would infer. I’m currently looking for a new amp/preamp to replace my long-in-the-tooth (getting old, that is) Rowland/EAR combo, though as I’m getting a bit long-in-the-tooth as well the idea of downsizing might be a good option…….so the Viva is on my radar. Have also read that it works well driving electrostats, and that is exactly what I’m looking for. Anybody know the $USD price for the Mk3, I cannot seem to find it anywhere?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
First few listens are very promising with a smooth, dynamic and highly resolved sound. Tonal balance seems about spot on and natural but not overly warm.

That is in my second system it will go to the upstairs system in a few days.

Well, last weekend I put the Diana finally up in the main system and it sounds quite impressive. Relaxed but with high resolution and precise image placement. It is neither too warm or too cold sounding...just right with regard to tonality. It also surprises with great microdynamics that give you a greater sense of the real thing. The only potential weakness I percieve at this point is the bass. In terms of tonality and texture it is superb but it seems a bit too delicate at times with less slam than I think a recording should have. I have to switch back to my Wall Audio Opus M50 monos and NAT Plasma preamp to be sure but I at the moment I can't be bothered because other than the mid and lower bass punch (potentially) the rest seems a clear winner. Interestingly, it reminds me more of a really good 300B sound (more airy and delicate) than the usual big boned and meaty sound I hear from big bottles like 211, 845, GM70 etc. This is despite the fact that the 813 is definitely a big bottle (and runs really hot!). Stavros informs me that the curves of the 813 in triode are actually more linear than a 300B. Other big bottle tubes are considerably less linear than a 300B.

The Walls use the 6C33C, which although smaller than most output triodes, has a quite robust and powerful sound. It is denser with images appearing to be very solid; however, it is not super airy sounding even though the highs are clearly well extended...not sure what the distortion effects are that some amps have this airiness and some do not.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm a huge admirer of the work of JC Morrison who contracts to Silbatone. I think his circuit designs are really innovative, and he likes to use a lot of unusual tube choices, chooses permalloy core transformers (often wound with silver foil), will often use autoformers for volume and hates coupling caps. This is the Reference 300B.

View attachment 21518 View attachment 21519 View attachment 21520

This is the RI-25 using WE 437A, Siemens Ed and the DA100.

Oh wow frankly I doubt Silbatone can be beat - but too expensive

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Viva Solista still looms large in my memory since hearing it a few years ago. However, it is not exactly a universal solution being a low wattage single ended design, though I imagine it likely punches above what it’s 22 watt spec would infer. I’m currently looking for a new amp/preamp to replace my long-in-the-tooth (getting old, that is) Rowland/EAR combo, though as I’m getting a bit long-in-the-tooth as well the idea of downsizing might be a good option…….so the Viva is on my radar. Have also read that it works well driving electrostats, and that is exactly what I’m looking for. Anybody know the $USD price for the Mk3, I cannot seem to find it anywhere?

Fyi- the Solista mk3 is priced at $18.5k + $400 for remote. When I looked at the mk2 years ago, believe it was $16.5k. its always been premium priced in the US and I'm sure much better value in Europe.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Check out the newish NAT Audio SINGLE integrated
50W of pure Class A pwr
I can totally vouch for NAT as purveyor of amazing sq

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Check out the newish NAT Audio SINGLE integrated
50W of pure Class A pwr
I can totally vouch for NAT as purveyor of amazing sq

Heard the "oldish" one, good but not as good as a pair of SE1s with a NAT Plasma.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Most SET output at that level output is very high distortion.

That said, some have recommended the Line Magnetic 508-based integrated as a higher-powered alternative.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'll second the thought for something 6C33C based. But even once the wattage gets up there, the damping factor just doesn't and I'm skeptical that these SET amps are going to be satisfying in the lower registers on speakers that require the power.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Most SET output at that level output is very high distortion.

That said, some have recommended the Line Magnetic 508-based integrated as a higher-powered alternative.

I currently use this very amp. I'm looking to alternatives with similar amount of power (508ia puts out 48W).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'll second the thought for something 6C33C based. But even once the wattage gets up there, the damping factor just doesn't and I'm skeptical that these SET amps are going to be satisfying in the lower registers on speakers that require the power.
Come to Switzerland and I can prove it to you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing