"Cordial Participation" in Terms of Service 2.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Dear Tim,

I respect the analysis about logic and properly considered replies. And in a Mensa meeting or on a high school debating team I think that makes sense. But in the real world, few people are sufficiently introspective or self-reflective to conduct the analysis you are suggesting.

Perhaps.

But let's not race to the bottom lest we encourage it.

Encourage thought and thoughtfulness. I believe people appreciate explanations instead of knee-jerk responses to knee-jerk reactions. I agree that some will not accept even that. Sure we can all be out-of-line or be less than we know we can, but being human is not an excuse, but a case for making the better attempt. 'Man is the rational animal' is not an aphorism.

I say lead by example.

edit: grammar.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sure, Ron, but this is not just about system threads. Some people get overly annoyed at any thread going "off topic". That's the natural progression of a conversation, that's life, folks.

Yes, at a minimum there should be tolerance for thread swerving because: cats.

The recent spate of non-thread initiator warning chimes - mostly by Ron - of "stay on topic" is excessive. If no one in the thread is complaining then the moderators should lay off.

I would say ]imo' but that is the default.

Reactions: Lagonda and Al M.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I always thought that as long as your grammer was spot on, Ron would post it :cool::p

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Whether I or anyone else likes how you interpret those standards is pretty irrelevant.

Nonetheless, better to discuss it as we are here than leave in a huff. The moderators can be reasonable and I appreciate Ron's approach in this thread.

The forum did manage to evolve away from an overly zealous technocratery phase - which I also appreciate and led me to return. I believe it continues to evolve for the better, some struggles sure, but progress without being progressive.

Reactions: rando and Chop

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
why no dislike button for posts, if it exceeds a certain number it is deleted. everyone votes on it democracy wins.
Of course, you need to agree on the number that could pose a problem. so that the moderators can see in which thread there is disharmony and can intervene

Reactions: dbeau

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
why no dislike button for posts, if it exceeds a certain number it is deleted. everyone votes on it democracy wins.
Of course, you need to agree on the number that could pose a problem. so that the moderators can see in which thread there is disharmony and can intervene
You mean like Abigail Williams and all her little friends cancelling John Proctor?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Ah, no. no no no.

No posses.

Read "The Ox-Bow Incident".

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Salem. With the modern fashion for purity spirals on social media, proof that history really can repeat itself.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, at a minimum there should be tolerance for thread swerving because: cats.

The recent spate of non-thread initiator warning chimes - mostly by Ron - of "stay on topic" is excessive. If no one in the thread is complaining then the moderators should lay off.

I would say ]imo' but that is the default.
I suspect, but cannot prove, that there are "behind the scenes" complaints...too many snowflakes. I don't believe one owns a thread...your post you own but a thread is just a starting point for discussions...where it goes is where it goes...

FWIW, I have never complained about what someone has posted to or about me...if your ideas cannot stand up to scrutiny then you should reexamine one's ideas is how I see it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning, sir. There is a dislike button. It's called the "Report" button at the bottom of each post, FYI.

This is actually part of TOS #6 - "If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them."

Tom

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

Now where is that dislike button ;)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello and good morning, sir. There is a dislike button. It's called the "Report" button at the bottom of each post, FYI.

This is actually part of TOS #6 - "If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them."

Tom
Good Morning ,Sir.
I think the report button is inappropriate for this when you have a problem with someone or their posts. You should write a private message to this person to resolve the issue.
I think the moderators are already busy enough and can make better use of their free time.
the report button is more like that when you can't reach an agreement privately, as a last resort.
That's why I think a dislike is good because you can do something immediately before it gets out of control. my opinion about it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing