Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
At 80+ age death rate is 14.8%. This is scary.

Between 70-79 it is 8%. Nearly 1 out of 10 people dies, which is huge.

60-69 it is 3.6%. 36 times the death rate of normal flu. Very dangerous.

50-59 and it’s 1.3%. Still 13 time more dangerous than normal flue but its a fight.

40 and below it is around 0.4% which means it’s the worse flu you’ll probably ever have but if you don’t have a pre-existing condition and have good care, you’ll be ok.

We don’t have exact data due to the nature of the beast but these numbers can give us a perspective.

Reactions: NorthStar

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It can get quite severe for those who have weak lungs, asthma, type issues irrespective of age

so can the Flu for these people and probably more severe. my daughter has asthma, so always gotta be careful.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
At 80+ age death rate is 14.8%. This is scary.

Between 70-79 it is 8%. Nearly 1 out of 10 people dies, which is huge.

60-69 it is 3.6%. 36 times the death rate of normal flu. Very dangerous.

50-59 and it’s 1.3%. Still 13 time more dangerous than normal flue but its a fight.

40 and below it is around 0.4% which means it’s the worse flu you’ll probably ever have but if you don’t have a pre-existing condition and have good care, you’ll be ok.

We don’t have exact data due to the nature of the beast but these numbers can give us a perspective.

these figures are highly exaggerated - how many cases have gone un-diagnosed? probably 2 to 10 times what is reported.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
these figures are highly exaggerated - how many cases have gone un-diagnosed? probably 2 to 10 times what is reported.

These numbers come from health organizations such as WHO. Yes we can speculate all we want from our living rooms but until more accurate data is present, officials need to act on these.

How many people died from this virus without being diagnosed? We don't know that either.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The dead we are sure of...those who had it with mild symptoms are the stats that go undetected.

The avg age of those who died in Italy is 82. It is bad and has to be contained, but not the zombie apocalypse!

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
That is in Iran Norm, other countries they don't disinfect street signs above their heads.
Here we limit toilet paper in Costco stores.

Right now Italy is high on the list of serious measures. Iran too, even disinfecting high street signs ...

The aviation industry is not healthy, OPEC is losing some marbles, Russia we know nothing, and yes we should be careful with door knobs and handrails from escalators.
That virus can stick to surfaces up to nine days...metal, plastic, wood, etc.
China did it too. Saw the vids 10 days ago.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Feel bad for Gian. Cant go out read newspaper, cheek kissing, mingle with ladies at coffee shop in the morning now.

Kidding aside. Pls stay clean avoid public contact keep yourself healthy. Don't be irresponsible. This thing will feel much closer more threatening to us when we hear someone we know on this forum is fighting his life against it now.
Agreed. there

On a lighter note, you were not too far off. Our Italian friends were complaining that they had to take their coffee in paper cups and had to drink it OUTSIDE the cafes. Not allowed to drink inside and linger. Oh, the horror!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hundred years ago (Spanish flu), nobody knows exactly how many died...20, 50, 100 million.
Fast forward today, nobody knows exactly how many are infected right now and how many will die.

All that we know is that the world health scientists are not taking this lightly, and neither the world markets, the oil industry, the aviation industry, the cruise ship industry, ...the industrial world.
Numbers are tough to evaluate when a virus doesn't always show symptoms, people cannot be tested, when we are passed the containment phase, when we are in uncharted territory.

So I agree 100% with you that those stats are wrong, far from being accurate...the number of people being infected worldwide and each individual country. They are probably higher than lower; not lower...impossible.
We do what we can, we wash our hands.
It wasn't Spanish and it wasn't a flu that killed. It was a pernicious BACTERIAL pneumonia. See the CDC paper I posted last week. Unless we get the facts straight, we go around in circles like headless chickens.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The dead we are sure of...thse who had it with mild symptoms are the stats that go undetected.

The avg age of those who died in Italy is 82. It is bad and has to be contained, but not the zombie apocalypse!
Given that 80% of CONFIRMED cases are mild there is almost certainly a legion of undiagnosed cases with little to no symptoms. Just look at how all early cases in Switzerland started...all people who were in Italy a week or two before...when supposedly there were still only a few cases! It becomes obvious that it was already much more widespread than what was reported by authorities.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Go to www.worldometer.com, click coronavirus and then statistics based on age. Below 60 your chances are very good...above 70 it gets risky...

Yes, I posted that link several times in this thread; I'm very familiar as to which age group is more vulnerable from the Coronavirus.
But middle age people die too, as it happened for example with that young Chinese doctor (age 34), the whistleblower.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...s-warnings-dies-disease-who-confirms-n1131556

* I am extremely vulnerable myself, with a heart condition, compounded to some considerable extent with my age...mid 60s.
Don't tell anyone, this world is for the children...who inherit from us.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
It wasn't Spanish and it wasn't a flu that killed. It was a pernicious BACTERIAL pneumonia. See the CDC paper I posted last week. Unless we get the facts straight, we go around in circles like headless chickens.

Don't talk to me about headless chickens - i still have nightmares about them! ;)

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
our family on isolation while waiting for our daughter’s COVID-19 test result. she got sick (mild fever and coughing) after she came back from a Disney trip mid February. she (24) has asthma and stil coughing, so she decided to get tested last saturday.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Maybe we should ask one of our members living in Seattle what actually is happening in Seattle.

After living in London for two years (2015 and 2016) I developed no respect for the accuracy of English reporting about matters in the United States.

Must have been the accent!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing