Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
And the same applies to restaurants, pubs etc.
plus, the Mayor wants a Saturday timetable in the tube therefore reducing the number of trains whilst carrying the same or perhaps slightly fewer passenger effectively increasing carriage density.

Vienna

VIP/Donor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
plus, the Mayor wants a Saturday timetable in the tube therefore reducing the number of trains whilst carrying the same or perhaps slightly fewer passenger effectively increasing carriage density.

Yeah. I traveled by tube last week and it was easy to keep a 5m distance. That will now go as he is literally enforcing rush hour crowd by cutting back the tubes. Though I am not commuting anymore

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: Elberoth

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We can talk politico except about US. :rolleyes:

Reactions: rob and ddk

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We can talk politico except about US. :rolleyes:
Is it politics to say people are idiots? Even handed civilians have no issues if leaders make certain judgement calls. It's when they declare they're invunerable that it's only a matter of time before they make these speeches w their pants down, tackle out, and invite total ridicule.

THAT, they cannot handle.

Reactions: Elberoth

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tails/wagging/dogs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron believes in less involvement by govt so he likes intervening here
I thought blue really suited him and Tinka, lol. But what about red mask-supporting US members here?

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We're at our doctor here (no, not Corona). Hand sanitisers everywhere.
Would it really have killed rich nations to mass produce this stuff, and deliver near-unlimited dispensers to every citizen, households and businesses?

We certainly know who got unlimited help in 2008.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We're at our doctor here (no, not Corona). Hand sanitisers evrrywhere.
Would it really have killed rich nations to mass produce this stuff, and deliver near-unlimited dispensers to every citizen, households and businesses?

We certainly know who got unlimited help in 2008.

Bill Gates has been very clear in his speech 5 years ago. People are still defending their own leadership choice in the US just like they defend their hifi purchase. It has to be right because they did it. Suggesting anything else is an insult

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe I'm an atypical political consumer/citizen. I'm giving Boris the benefit of doubt. If he produces results ie the least worst outcome, he'll have my support. Even if it goes somewhat pear-shaped, he deserves plenty of slack. Even if he has to go from proactive to reactive.

But if it's shown he has supressed info, or really not listened to enough contrary views, and will allow businesses to go to the wall w nothing in place to compensate, and proves to be maliciously incompotent, he'll go from king to pauper faster than anything.

Atm, his biggest fault is apparently backtracking on the herd immunity concept, but allowing the hospitality industry to go to the wall by suggesting people stop visiting bars etc, but not ordering it. Meaning all these businesses can't pass on expenses like insurance, rates etc.

Relying on the free mkt this way is gonna backfire.

Reactions: analogsa

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
People stuck waiting at bus stops today and nobody looks at all comfortable. Brings new meaning to the term bat sh&t crazy. But some people just have no choice and that is horrendous. Many stuck in cues for things that can possibly just wait. I tried to go and buy something local today thinking I was doing the right thing and the air is tense

I remember the early AIDS days when transmission was at last understood at least you could still be close to family and the ones you loved as long as all were responsible and honest. Now you, your partner or child could just as easily innocently and unknowingly infect your family and no amount of honesty or right behaviour can change any of that. That’s hard to deal with.

As for Governments taking unnecessary risks by not being sufficiently reactive every day shapes up to the telling notion that they may have much blood on their hands shortly. Infection rates have just started to go off here as well.

But also the deeply stressful invisible nature of this disease will be exhausting, ultimately loss of social resilience and faith is being tested. Now is surely the best time to become a better person. Consider others and stop the petty bullshit and in-fighting and let’s just join together for once and accept that this is going to be hard, and at times just terribly unfair, and almost impossibly indiscriminate and let’s in this moment be our truly better selves. These are hard choices but in times of crisis fear is such a killer and unnecessary selfishness is our true enemy. It holds us back from being luminous.

Reactions: Elberoth and rob

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
9A077DD5-68DB-4D03-BB1E-2FCDC6770EAA.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, we'll do it OUR way, thanks very much. Even if it looks identical to YOUR way. In the end.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Some major mobile phones networks in UK are down on day one of major push to work from home.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Question is whether to treat this like a long extended weekend, where everything is shut. If businesses are shut, markets should be too. The situation one does not want is that things are back to normal in three months, but in those months due to margin calls, some funds have gone bust, affected rest of the economy, and cost jobs, only to have the others back up and operating as normal later. It is fine if they reprice due to fundamentals, but a shame if they implode purely due to panic

that's why we have circuit breakers in place now. a time out.

taking liquidity away makes no sense to me and would cause more panic.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Some local observations.
Live less than 2 km away from the Lynn Valley Care Center, North Vancouver, BC where yesterday it was announced that three more people passed away at the care center. Total victims now at four at the care center / Canada.

Yesterday when attempting to make cell phone call to various companies provider said that the UV ONE network is too busy to connect the call. After several attempts got through. Had some issues loading pages on my landline Ethernet provider.

CIBC bank is closing 206 of it's branches and 816 will modify their hours of operation as of Wedenesday.
Had luch with a friend in the Valley, restaurant credit card reader wasn't working, network was overloaded. Cash will be king.

Since we are in a seismic zone and upon my oldest son return from Japan in 2011 (Fukashima) he said we are so woefully prepared in Vancouver area. Since then we have tried to get prepared for the big one, but it looks like its a little thing we have to worry about presently.

A few things we have done.
Full tank of fuel in vehicles at all times, tidy tank in backyard, money and enough provisions for a family of five. Food, water, shelter, blankets, first aid kit are in a Knaack Box away from the house.

Hope this passes quickly and that everyone does their part to stay safe and keep others safe as well.

Take care everyone

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
that's why we have circuit breakers in place now. a time out.

taking liquidity away makes no sense to me and would cause more panic.

It wouldn't because it would reopen after more information was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing